Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Love the Capless Fuel Filler - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2015 in Ford
imageLove the Capless Fuel Filler - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Expressing love for our long-term 2015 Ford Mustang GT's capless fuel filler.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Any very long term reliability issues with it? If not, that'd be great as I frequently get Check Engine lights in my Miata when the gas cap comes loose.
  • sxty8stangsxty8stang Member Posts: 58
    It's not unreliable at all - it merely has a strong enough latch in the system that it can do the job of the gas cap without it. My 2011 has had zero problems with it. Nice little feature.
  • boffboff Member Posts: 91
    Yup I love this feature. Edmunds needs to take this car to Thunderhill to see if any gas leaks out under high cornering loads. :D
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    Ford has worked out the problems. See how the Mustang's filler is set out from the surrounding area? That prevents junk from collecting, a problem in older versions, like my 2011. There's a cleanout routine on Youtube for when junk prevents the filler flap from fully closing, throwing a code.
  • chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    I know a few people with Ford models that have the capless fillers. Personally, I think it's a great idea. No possibility of forgetting to put the cap on and having it bounce against your paint as you drive down the road. I work at an auto parts store and we have plenty of people come in wanting a code scan because of a check engine. I've seen quite a few instances when the code refers to a leak in the evaporation system that's simply due to a gas cap that wasn't tightened all the way. With a capless filler design, there's less of a chance of this happening.
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    It's great until you want to pour in a bottle of Techron or Lucas Oil Upper Cylinder Lubricant. Then you have to find the special funnel that Ford provides for this purpose.