Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buy One Already - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2015 in Volkswagen

imageBuy One Already - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

There's no question this 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI is the best Golf GTI of the last 15 years, and if you need a hot hatchback in your life, you should buy one.

Read the full story here

Comments

• redskinsdmvredskinsdmv Member Posts: 52
    Not trolling, but can someone convince me of it's reliability. I mean it already had a recall within the first few months of its release.

I want one for the driving dynamics, practicality, and relatively good value, though I'm not sure how it'll handle in the snow here in the Northeast. The bottom line is, I have heard horror stories from GTI owners that tell me to stay away.
  • 7driver7driver Member Posts: 145
    edited March 2015
    S, performance package, pure white, stick shift and standard halogen headlights because I can't bring myself to spend $1000 on HID's. That's today, though. I keep going back and forth on S vs. SE.
  • throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    Now that VW has finally fixed their wretched website, you can actually build a GTI! That said, plaid seats for the win Erin.
  • ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    throwback said:

Now that VW has finally fixed their wretched website, you can actually build a GTI! That said, plaid seats for the win Erin.

Yes! So much fun to build and price cars!!

Me, I'd rather have a GLI SEL 6MT for that kind of money. Maybe..
  • darexdarex Member Posts: 187
    "buy one already"

Kind of an irresponsible statement for a long-term tester, that hasn't even been in the stable very long.

Know why I couldn't buy one already? Because their packaging is maddening! Pisses me off that I cannot build one the way I want to.
  • veedubber86veedubber86 Member Posts: 57
    Redskin

Not trolling, but can someone convince me of it's reliability. I mean it already had a recall within the first few months of its release.

I want one for the driving dynamics, practicality, and relatively good value, though I'm not sure how it'll handle in the snow here in the Northeast. The bottom line is, I have heard horror stories from GTI owners that tell me to stay away.

Redskin, it'll handle the snow pretty well. As for reliability, I think it comes down to how you care for it. Unfortunately VWs are more expensive to work on, so if something does go wrong, it's more costly. A recall is a good thing though because it's free to you and it's something that happens with just about every new model when it comes out.
  • dvanosdvanos Member Posts: 52

Redskin just to give you an idea I've had my '13 GTI DE for almost 2yrs and 20k miles( I know its still pretty new)and it has been trouble free. Just one trip to the dealer for an oil change that's it. Also just to mention it's 100% stock. So to think about VWs quality it's gotten way better despite all the horror stories out there that usually refer to models from the early to mid 2000's(horrible era qualitywise). Still it is no way as good as Toyota or Porsche.
  • squarefoursquarefour Member Posts: 24

I can't answer the reliability question, but I'll say the same thing I always say when anyone asks a question concerning winter driving, buy winter tires. Seriously. People act like it's some major barrier to buying a specific car, or insist upon AWD, but pretty much any FWD car (and many RWD cars) with a decent set of winter tires will get you were you need to go drama-free. People also act like the cost is prohibitive, but that's mostly horseshat. Instead of buying some spendy set that fits your stock alloys (17, 18, 19, etc inchers), buy them in a smaller size (14 or 15 inches) and have them mounted on cheap steelies. People will complain that that looks ugly, but it doesn't. It actually looks kinda cool and like you take this winter crap seriously. Taller sidewalls, knobby treads, blacked out wheels...that just screams, "Winter is SERIOUS BIDNESS!" Best of all, not only do you get to run 5 or 6 seasons--maybe even more--on one set of dedicated winter tires (savings in the bank, right there), but the converse is also true and you get to run almost that many summer seasons on dedicated summer tires (even more savings). In the end, it's actually very cost-effective, not mention safe. Plus, your swanky alloys get to spend every winter salt-free in the garage. Win-win all around.
  • gbriankgbriank Member Posts: 220

Redskin:

Never buy a first model year. Recalls, modifications to software and hardware are a thing now. 2016 should prove a better purchase. I had a 2011 model GTI, and like DVANOS, with no problems at all. VW is getting much better with electrical, cooling and structural problems...but we are not yet to Japanese quality. If minor issues here and there are something that would drive you mad, then consider a Focus or a WRX.
  • kshankarkshankar Member Posts: 175
    I had a 2006 GTI and a 2010 GTI. The 2006 GTI, I had for 6 months and had no issues. I had the 2010 GTI for 3 years and nearly 38K miles and had no issues even with an APR chip and intake! I believe these GTIs are the last German built ones. In case , people are concerned, just lease one and you will be within the warranty period.
  • chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    Regardless of model and make, I also agree that it's wise to wait and not buy a car of the first model year of a certain generation. There's always a possibility of first-year bugs that will get worked out for the following year.

As far as reliability, I think VW is really starting to get its stuff together. I know various people with late-model VWs who have had good experience with reliability and overall quality. One thing you need to remember when you hear horror stories about VW reliability (or other Euro cars) is that many people buy these cars and assume that they can maintain them just like any other car they've had. While I'm not saying that every single listed service item is necessary, there are more things that need to be done to maintain VWs and other German cars in comparison to your typical Japanese or domestic make. I know there are a fair number of people who bash VW, Audi, BMW, etc. because they simply didn't perform the required maintenance to keep their own car running reliably. If you take care of these cars and do what you're supposed to, there's no reason why you should have any major issues.

In any case, if reliability is still an issue, you can always lease or find a low-mileage CPO model that has a generous warranty.
  • yellowmiatayellowmiata Member Posts: 23
    $30k for a GTI? Wow, I must be getting old when I can't stomach 30 large for a new Volkswagen. I think I'd rather a used roadster for fun and less money. These new golfs do have the farkles though!