Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2016 Acura RDX

ushy66ushy66 Member Posts: 366
edited February 2015 in Acura

Comments

• ushy66ushy66 Member Posts: 366
    2016 RDX revealed at Chicago AS

Refreshed styling, enhanced power train, + improved tech and safety features; check it out: http://www.autoblog.com/2015/02/12/2016-acura-rdx-chicago-2015/#image-16
    5 Things to Like about the 2016 RDX (Maybe)

Check it out: http://wot.motortrend.com/1502_5_things_to_like_about_the_2016_acura_rdx.html
  • carl68carl68 Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering if the 2016 RDX will require premium gasoline?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    carl68 said:

Just wondering if the 2016 RDX will require premium gasoline?

I would bet on it..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    ...what a shame....I am looking to the RDX 2016 and to be honest the main reason I disliked the 2011 MDX I have and traded for an RX 350 was the premium issue...I wonder how "faithfully" is that requierement followed...
  • Hugo_StiglitzHugo_Stiglitz Member Posts: 167
    You're worried about 20 cents per gallon on a $40,000 vehicle? Please.
    edited March 2015
    Apple's Tim Cook yesterday announced CarPlay is coming to 40 car models by the end of the year.

Does this mean the updated 2016 RDX will get the factory installed CarPlay, or will it be the 2017 RDX? Anyone with info on this subject from conversations with dealer sales staff?

Check it out: http://www.leftlanenews.com/apple-carplay-to-arrive-in-40-models-this-year.html
  • heron4heron4 Member Posts: 21
    svofan2 said:

...what a shame....I am looking to the RDX 2016 and to be honest the main reason I disliked the 2011 MDX I have and traded for an RX 350 was the premium issue...I wonder how "faithfully" is that requierement followed...

Seriously?
    12,000 miles per year at 20mpg will take 600 gallons of fuel. At 15-20 cent/gallon, it comes to about $120 a year. How much is this vehicle? And you are not going to consider it because it will cost $120 extra per year.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Premium is a deal killer for my wife (a MINI, in our case). I don't like the idea of having to burn it either.
    stever said:

Premium is a deal killer for my wife (a MINI, in our case). I don't like the idea of having to burn it either.

I'm going with the "why worry about the cost of premium fuel" crowd.

Amazing to me, no matter how expensive the vehicle, the majority of buyers are looking for some excuse not to use the fuel that's recommended for it.

I will say, though... the premium for Premium is more like $0.30 to $0.50 per gallon, where I live. It's ridiculous, and unsupported by the wholesale costs. (and, every one of our vehicles requires it).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,056
    edited March 2015
    I just traded in a vehicle that required premium (2010 Mazda CX-7) for one that uses regular (2015 Subaru Outback). I've decided to use mid grade (87 octane here in CO). 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

I think a lot of it is psychological. You buy a "premium" car like the Acura RDX, so by george, you have to put premium gas in. But really, it's an SUV, and 99% of the time it's being used like most of us use cars - running errands and doing mall duty. So why bother? It's easy enough to tune it for regular and few would ever notice the difference.
    By that logic, why bother buying a "premium" vehicle, if you don't need the premium features?

And, when an engineer says premium is recommended, I'm going to believe him.. Amazing how many armchair engineers will risk their $15K motor, based on a psychological issue. ;-)

Don't get me wrong.. I don't like paying extra for premium, either.. But, I also don't like many of the vehicles that recommend regular.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited March 2015
    What's premium or luxury about a few extra horsepower when you can't use them anyway? Does it matter if you can get on the freeway in 3.4 seconds vs 3.5?

The psychology comes into play because people have been taught to believe that premium gas is extra special in some way - more additives or more power per ounce, and that's going to make their ride extra special. Kind of like how DeBeers convinced everyone that a common, dull rock is de rigueur to put on your ring finger. Bunch of marketing hooey for most all the passenger fleet out there.

It's a luxury being able to use regular. B)

Save Money and Stop Buying Premium Gas
  • heron4heron4 Member Posts: 21
    Whether you decide to buy premium or not based on what you think about the gas is different than saying I am not going to buy a 40K car because it takes premium gas. The second argument makes no sense if you think about the incremental cost versus the price of the car.
    stever said:

What's premium or luxury about a few extra horsepower when you can't use them anyway? Does it matter if you can get on the freeway in 3.4 seconds vs 3.5?

The psychology comes into play because people have been taught to believe that premium gas is extra special in some way - more additives or more power per ounce, and that's going to make their ride extra special. Kind of like how DeBeers convinced everyone that a common, dull rock is de rigueur to put on your ring finger. Bunch of marketing hooey for most all the passenger fleet out there.

It's a luxury being able to use regular. B)

Save Money and Stop Buying Premium Gas

All of the information there is irrelevant... if your vehicle requires premium.

That has nothing to do with feelings.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• fastguyfastguy Member Posts: 9
    Sounds like we are missing the point here. The 2016 RDX has switched to a direct injection engine. To avoid the problems that such brands as Audi have with carbon build up on the valves of their direct injection engine "top tier" gasoline is required. I for one will pass up the "cheap gas" sign and go for the station with the higher detergent gasoline. If you put premium gas search into your Around Me app you will find that a quality premium is not that much more expensive than a cheap regular. Costco has top tier gasoline Sam's Club does not. It also strikes me as odd that we will pay $10 per month extra on our lease to get air cooled seats (or whatever) in our cars but not spend the money to take care of the car. I guess it is a case of letting the future owner deal with the problem.

In my case, my interests lie more with how close does the RDX comes to the MDX Advance in it's features. I would rather have a smaller SUV to maneuver in city traffic, but am not willing to give up on features. Any thoughts?
    edited March 2015
    Top Tier comes in "regular" too.

Lots of people have been led to believe that a premium (aka luxury) ride needs premium gas, as if regular gas is somehow inferior to premium. Yet there's really no reason for most of the luxury vehicles out there to be tuned to require it other than marketing to that belief (or "feeling").

I think it's boils down to the horsepower wars, and what people really want are heated steering wheels, those cooled seats and adapative cruise control -- not a few extra horses that aren't available unless you use a more expensive fuel.

Be curious to poll some RDX owners and see if what percentage even know how much HP they have in their rides.
  • zooma1zooma1 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone heard when the 2016 RDXs will be available at dealerships? None of our local ones in the DC area seem to have them yet. Also, are dealers taking deposits for them? We need a new car soon and are hoping the RDX ends up being the right one for us...and that the timing works out.
  • shoresailingshoresailing Member Posts: 29
    I am also wondering when the 2016 RDXx will be available. Been shopping but prefer to check out the 2016 version.
    Updated pricing for 2016 RDX + Availability

Link: http://www.leftlanenews.com/acura-prices-updated-2016-rdx-88355.html
  • abhisheks77abhisheks77 Member Posts: 9
    I have seen one in Torrance (90501) dealership lot, pearl white with Advance Package. Did not got chance to see MSRP written. Not sure about other dealers in LA area, if it is available yet.
  • zooma1zooma1 Member Posts: 2
    Just to update, because I always find these forums to be so helpful when buying each new car (even though not as much activity as there used to be for some reason): Bought 2016 RDX with AWD and Advance package to replace old BMW X5. Have been comparing a long list, and wide range, of SUVs for a couple of months, including Lexus NX, Mercedes GLK, Audi Q5, Honda CRV, Mazda CX5, Ford Escape. Safety, technology, reliability, and value were primary concerns. Decided RDX made most sense for us at this time. Used Edmunds to contact several local dealers and then negotiated remainder of deal via email. Got about 2k below MSRP. A good experience with Acura once again.
  • awinnerawinner Member Posts: 27

I have seen one in Torrance (90501) dealership lot, pearl white with Advance Package. Did not got chance to see MSRP written. Not sure about other dealers in LA area, if it is available yet.

I was at Keyes Acura in Sherman Oaks and they had 2 on the lot. The salesman was quite unhelpful, when I asked him some questions regarding the car, he shrugged his shoulders saying its new and he has not been trained about the features and benefits of the car...so needless to say, I walked off the lot.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,056
    awinner said:

I was at Keyes Acura in Sherman Oaks and they had 2 on the lot. The salesman was quite unhelpful, when I asked him some questions regarding the car, he shrugged his shoulders saying its new and he has not been trained about the features and benefits of the car...so needless to say, I walked off the lot.
    Lots of Acura dealers in Southern California, I'm sure you can find one where the staff has been through the requisite training.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Short video-review of 2016 RDX Changes

Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3-GXHc6UP8
    Excellent Detailed Road Test and Review of 2016 RDX

Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bakTec6q8JA
    edited October 2015
    Are Keyless Ignition Safeguards in place on the new 2016 RDX, like a timed auto shut-off, to eliminate the risk of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning, when you have an attached garage?

Does anyone know if the 2016 RDX has built-in keyless ignition safeguards, like a timed auto shut-off, to eliminate the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, if you have an attached garage? And if not, is there a recall in place yet to retro-fit/fix this problem?

Check out the following link: http://abcnews.go.com/US/keyless-ignitions-led-carbon-monoxide-deaths-recalled-suit/story?id=33344253

At the very least, this car tech deficiency can cost the car owner lots of wasted gas and bad MPG #'s, and at the worst it can kill the owner and the entire family!
    edited October 2015
    Additional Comment and References on the Keyless Ignition risk of CO Poisoning, and Acura's Legal Exposure

Some have argued these inexpensive auto shut-off safeguards are unnecessary, and that drivers who forget to turn off their keyless ignition cars in their garage before they exit their vehicle are 'stupid' and shouldn't be driving at all. I disagree. After all we are human, and we all occasionally make mistakes. This occurs with some frequency when people get distracted by their kids or grand kids, etc, or having a senior moment. While it probably happens more than we might think on non-hybrid models, it probably occurs much more on the ultra quiet hybrids like the Accord, Camry and Prius! Sometimes people need to be protected from themselves, and I believe requiring Acura and other mfg's installing an inexpensive auto-off switch on keyless ignition cars is one of them, when a stupid mistake or forgetfulness could cost someone and their family's lives from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Heck, one could make the same argument for the necessity of safety features that are showing up on most cars like blind spot monitor, rear cross traffic alert, etc, etc, because if the 'stupid' driving public would only look into their side and rear view mirrors properly and turn their head a little over their right shoulder like they are suppose to before changing lanes in traffic to check their blind spots we shouldn't need those safety features (and other safety nannies) either, right, yet the auto manufactures (including Acura) claim these features make driving safer (and I agree), and are putting them on more and more of their products/cars.

Requiring the auto mfg's to retro-fit/fix this problem/tech deficiency seems to me to be a no-brainer, before more people are injured or die from keyless ignition carbon monoxide related poisoning.

If Acura does not intervene in a timely fashion and right a wrong in their cars, like issue a TSB and/or recall, for those Acura cars already sold that have keyless ignitions, it's not only terrible for the owners who will continue to be injured and killed by carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning due to this issue, it can be very expensive to Acura, like the unintended acceleration suit that cost Toyota at least one billion dollars not so long ago.

Article #1) Oct 5th ABC News Investigation of Keyless Ignitions: http://abcnews.go.com/US/abc-news-investigation-potential-risk-keyless-ignitions/story?id=34161887

Article #2) Courthouse News Service: http://www.courthousenews.com/2015/08/28/class-calls-keyless-autos-dangerous.htm
  • toledo73toledo73 Member Posts: 174
    zooma1 said:

Just to update, because I always find these forums to be so helpful when buying each new car (even though not as much activity as there used to be for some reason): Bought 2016 RDX with AWD and Advance package to replace old BMW X5. Have been comparing a long list, and wide range, of SUVs for a couple of months, including Lexus NX, Mercedes GLK, Audi Q5, Honda CRV, Mazda CX5, Ford Escape. Safety, technology, reliability, and value were primary concerns. Decided RDX made most sense for us at this time. Used Edmunds to contact several local dealers and then negotiated remainder of deal via email. Got about 2k below MSRP. A good experience with Acura once again.

Congrats! I'm now in a CRV lease and have been driving several cars. I have to agree. The RDX is quite impressive. It handles well and is very tight.
  • toledo73toledo73 Member Posts: 174
    stever said:

Top Tier comes in "regular" too.

Lots of people have been led to believe that a premium (aka luxury) ride needs premium gas, as if regular gas is somehow inferior to premium. Yet there's really no reason for most of the luxury vehicles out there to be tuned to require it other than marketing to that belief (or "feeling").

I think it's boils down to the horsepower wars, and what people really want are heated steering wheels, those cooled seats and adapative cruise control -- not a few extra horses that aren't available unless you use a more expensive fuel.

Be curious to poll some RDX owners and see if what percentage even know how much HP they have in their rides.

Acura web site says 91 octane recommended. Wife's lexus rx 350 has run perfectly for 4 years on chevron 89 octane. Good qualty, 76, chevron 89 should be fine.
  • wassupd0cwassupd0c Member Posts: 4
    does anyone have more information on the 2017 RDX yet? Will it have alot of new redesigned features? I am in the market for one but in no rush...I had a pretty good offer on a 2016 awd advanced package but not sure if the 2017 will have a total different exterior.