Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Speed differentials aside, it is still much MUCH MUCH MUCH exponentially safer to have those differentials occur predictably, in a manner where the lane to your left has faster moving traffic to that on the right. Cars on the right should be able to "assume" faster traffic will only occur to their left, but of course, this only happens in Germany and Utopia.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    Or in developed places anyway, which excludes much of the driving environment in the US. And at the same time, nobody should assume irresponsible devilspawn in an R8 will come up behind them at 2-3x the limit, either.

I saw another funny thing I notice now and then, local, or just goofy? William Williams from the Department of Redundancy Department would mention this - don't signal when changing lanes into a turn lane, then when in the turn lane (where not following the lane will lead you into a barrier or another car), hit the signal. Then don't signal anymore. I wonder how often the enforcement class cites people for poor or no signal use.

• fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Cadillac has a car just for them - the Capricious Turn Signaller (CTS).
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    Or BMWs with no signals, no problems - every model made in the past 30 or so years.

I saw a Camry get mad and hit the horn at a stoplight snoozer today, that was unusual as they tend to be pretty meek. Sitting on a green light should get a distracted driving notice. I also saw someone get nabbed by one of our red light cameras - and he probably deserved it.
  • slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    edited February 2015
    fintail said:

Or BMWs with no signals, no problems - every model made in the past 30 or so years.

I saw a Camry get mad and hit the horn at a stoplight snoozer today, that was unusual as they tend to be pretty meek. Sitting on a green light should get a distracted driving notice. I also saw someone get nabbed by one of our red light cameras - and he probably deserved it.

Maybe the Camry was just living up to the new "bold" attitude?

B)
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    slorenzen said:

fintail said:

Maybe the Camry was just living up to the new "bold" attitude?

B)
    Exactly, I give new Camry drivers a wide berth- I know those drivers are real movers and shakers who enjoy living on the edge!!! :D

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I was out this morning and happened upon where an Infiniti i30 apparently rear ended a new style Corolla at speed, maybe 25mph, it was a little messy. No cops on scene yet. Weird intersection, unsure who was at fault. I was in the fintail, so no cam shot.

Also I am glad the camera has parking mode, I might want to analyze footage if I notice anything amiss on the modern car - the car in the adjacent spot where the fintail lives has a driver who can't park, and is constantly way up or over the line nearest me. Dirty late model Civic with an interior full of food garbage and paperwork, I can imagine the driver now. I hope they don't drive today.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Fintail, another accident on the overpass over I-90 Lake Samm. exit EXACTLY in the same place as the one we both recently got stuck in. A car got rear ended HARD! Cops and Aid cars all over.

That light right there by the Holiday Inn is a nightmare. People run red lights there all of the time.

I know our Police Chief and I mentioned it to him. They are well aware of this but he said there is really no good place for a police car to sit and watch for violators.
    That whole overpass and series of interchanges is a planning disaster. I see no optimization of traffic controls there, and I suspect constant population growth hasn't helped either - these things never seem to be built with future needs in mind. Probably a combination of poor light sequencing, going through red, and phone based-distraction.

I got to honk a few times today - Porsche sitting and turning left from a right only lane, rental Equinox stopping for a green light and then creeping into a turn with no signal, and a TSX that thought the blinking yellow turn arrow with no oncoming traffic = stop.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Is it kosher to try and reserve a parking space on a public street? Residential streets are often containing parked cars all day by drivers living elsewhere. The TV news shows where those who have dug out the snow where their car was parked, try to "save" that spot for themselves when they return. Is this kosher or chutzpa?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2015
    The heck with Fin's dashcam - this is the real deal. (Gizmag)
    First thing that came to mind - and only 30 years later. Another seriously underrated movie from that period, too. A laser could be handy to cut through the dawdlers here.

Regarding snow parking issues - not law, but local custom going back sons, and if someone violates it and has their car buried or messed with, I bet the cops do little more than go through the motions.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    euphy, yes it is kosher and even required, according to tradition and the mayor. if one tries to fight the tradition on that, then one's car is likely to be vandalized, especially in certain neighborhoods.
    even without space-saver, and in middle of summer, in some neighborhoods in&around Beantown one would tbe fortunate to get *one* polite visit/warning from the neighbor if you are a new resident and naively park in front of the wrong house.
    What are the warning signs that would prevent a transient driver visiting, to not park on the public street?
    elias said:

euphy, yes it is kosher and even required, according to tradition and the mayor. if one tries to fight the tradition on that, then one's car is likely to be vandalized, especially in certain neighborhoods.
    even without space-saver, and in middle of summer, in some neighborhoods in&around Beantown one would tbe fortunate to get *one* polite visit/warning from the neighbor if you are a new resident and naively park in front of the wrong house.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    I'm an inconsiderate plower. I managed to get my poor old plow truck so very, very stuck this morning. LOL I need to see if my son can snap some photos of it before it gets extracted this afternoon!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    euph, sometimes there is no warning except 'word of mouth',..
    in winter there will be a 'space saver', often a really old kitchen chair.
    another clue is when the houses have no garages and tiny driveways...
    it's finally thawing a bit in boston and no real snow in forecast.... sigh of relief...
    Finally caught an oblivious "driver" worth showing off - last second turn from straight-only lane - at least he hit his signal, virtually as he started turning, of course.
    Oh, and in a Legacy, too! What a shocker. :'(
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you or your child recently took a driver's education course online, please email PR@edmunds.com by Friday, March 13, 2015 to tell a reporter what it was like.
  • danfrommdanfromm Member Posts: 21
    Fin, I was in your area last week. Drove from SeaTac to Anacortes on Tuesday, I-5 to 20 and turn left, started around 11:00 am. Return trip, same route, Friday, start at 7:00 pm. Light traffic both ways, very few discourteous, stupid or obviously impaired drivers, a few LLCs but nothing really obnoxious.

I don't think I'm particularly blessed. Are you cursed?
    fintail said:

Finally caught an oblivious "driver" worth showing off - last second turn from straight-only lane - at least he hit his signal, virtually as he started turning, of course.

It sounds like you like your music LOUD!
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    fintail said:

That camera looks like fun. I've thought about posting a few driving videos, myself, but that would involve me holding my iPhone up to the windshield and driving one-handed, which I guess would make me an inconsiderate driver. But, if I steer with my knees, I can still use the turn signal. :p

So, today I'm driving along on a road with a 30 MPH speed limit. The road has a double yellow line and I happened to glance in my side mirror and I'm shocked to see a car about to PASS me!

I glanced down at my speedometer and see I'm going 37! As we pulled up to a red light, the other car is right in front of me!

Fin, this happened on W. Lake Samm Pky about 1/4 mile west of the State Park.

WHERE are the cops when we really want one?
    Isell, that was probably a cop in his own private car who did that to you. Or a relative of one... :@
    Oh, how's this for dumb, at least, if not really inconsiderate. Last Thursday, we had about 6" of snow. It was a combination of thick and wet first, and then lighter and more powdery later on, but enough that, once the plow trucks went by, what they pushed aside was pretty thick, hard, and icy. It didn't pile up too bad alongside the road, probably about 10", max. It was just enough though, that I shoveled it, rather than try to just bash through. Back in the day, I would have done that with my Granddad's '85 Silverado, but my '12 Ram would probably have something made out of plastic break off!

Anyway, there's a small park up the street, and its parking lot had not been plowed. Well, this buffoon in a Honda Civic (~'02-06 style) thought he could just bash right through it, like it was a '74 Impala or something...and got hung up! I'd love to know the thought process behind some peoples' minds.

On my way to work, I stopped off and asked if he needed help pushing out. He looked at me like I was an idiot, and said that he was trying to get up IN the park. He was wearing some weird looking boots, like ski boots but more petite, and had some odd looking skis in the car...they looked flimsier and a bit narrower than regular skis.

I guess he wanted to get up in that park and go cross-country skiing...not that there's all that much "country" to cross...park ain't much bigger than my yard. But, he was hell-bent on getting up in there, and was trying to bust at the ice that he grounded himself on with a windshield scraper, so I just left him to his devices...he was so focused on getting into that park, it reminded me of a puppy intently chewing on a peanut-butter filled bong!
    Nah, you picked a good time to drive - away from rush hour, and most of the drive on highways away from the real metro. Worst traffic is between 7-10 and 3-7, in densely populated areas, and on suburban arterials.

I was out for about 80 miles in my old car yesterday - don't remember any real LLCs, but I was mostly in the right lane. There were some slowpokes and errant drivers though - hurridly cut across 3 lanes to exit, crawl up a hill and get passed by a 50+ year old car, etc.
    danfromm said:

Fin, I was in your area last week. Drove from SeaTac to Anacortes on Tuesday, I-5 to 20 and turn left, started around 11:00 am. Return trip, same route, Friday, start at 7:00 pm. Light traffic both ways, very few discourteous, stupid or obviously impaired drivers, a few LLCs but nothing really obnoxious.

I don't think I'm particularly blessed. Are you cursed?

edited March 2015
    Starbucks, 'Lil Jon's, meetings, speedtrapping on hills, etc.

My music isn't real loud, the camera has a very sensitive mic - which I am very aware of, and try not to mutter and curse at other vehicles.

So, today I'm driving along on a road with a 30 MPH speed limit. The road has a double yellow line and I happened to glance in my side mirror and I'm shocked to see a car about to PASS me!

I glanced down at my speedometer and see I'm going 37! As we pulled up to a red light, the other car is right in front of me!

Fin, this happened on W. Lake Samm Pky about 1/4 mile west of the State Park.

WHERE are the cops when we really want one?

Online driver's ed? Scary. Soon the test will be online, too. Drivers license for sale, best offer takes it.
    stever said:

If you or your child recently took a driver's education course online, please email PR@edmunds.com by Friday, March 13, 2015 to tell a reporter what it was like.

There are apps and mounts for phones too, never tried it though.

Turn signal? Those are discretionary luxuries these days - some brands and models don't even have them!
    andre1969 said:

That camera looks like fun. I've thought about posting a few driving videos, myself, but that would involve me holding my iPhone up to the windshield and driving one-handed, which I guess would make me an inconsiderate driver. But, if I steer with my knees, I can still use the turn signal. :p

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited March 2015
    Ah Vancouver, I thought the elevated train looked familiar. Pretty funny. Looks like something that would happen in Russia, but this has less drunk and more police.

That reminds me, while on foot last week, I saw a woman get out of her car at a red light, and start yelling at the woman behind her. That'd be something to get on camera, hope you like a public shaming.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    fintail said:

Online driver's ed? Scary. Soon the test will be online, too. Drivers license for sale, best offer takes it.

stever said:

My daughter did it, quite a bit cheaper than actual schools.
    Who handles the behind the wheel stuff? Is it privatized there, too?
    stevedebi said:

• jjackson12jjackson12 Member Posts: 46
    Coming back from lunch yesterday I was stopped at a red light. I looked at the car next to me and all three women were talking on the phone. Each had their own phone and looked to be having their own conversations.

And then there's people in restaurants sitting at the same table, each more interested in texting than talking to each other.

Am I old-fashioned, or have people forgotten how to communicate without electronic devices?
  • jjackson12jjackson12 Member Posts: 46
    Coming in late for Audi vs bikers.
    andres3 said:

Who do you think is more inconsiderate, the bikers, or the R8 driver? I vote for the bikers, as if they were to crash (which is far more likely), it would cause a bigger impact on traffic most likely due to injuries than an R8 driver is likely to sustain.

Which is more inconsiderate? BOTH were so far from being considerate that the difference of the degree of inconsiderateness was negligible.

Audi driver should be cuffed and taken to anger management class and then have his license ripped up for 6 months..... and the bikers...well...fate will take care of them if they drive like that on public roads. Ask me how I know. :)

Are you saying that the gene pool needs a little chlorine? :)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    These people are crazy. You can't drive like that day after day without killing or maiming someone. This is behavior meant for the race track only.
    fintail said:

stevedebi said:

We did it ourselves, once she had her learner's permit. You can go to in person drivers training, with several in-car sessions, but that costs about twice what an on line course costs. We got DMV certification for the online course, which is what we needed for the insurance.
    stevedebi said:

fintail said:

stevedebi said:

We did it ourselves, once she had her learner's permit. You can go to in person drivers training, with several in-car sessions, but that costs about twice what an on line course costs. We got DMV certification for the online course, which is what we needed for the insurance.

The Family Auto Liability policy covers all resident members of the household. Sons & daughters are already insured & covered. They do not have to be declared to be insured.

euphonium said:

The Family Auto Liability policy covers all resident members of the household. Sons & daughters are already insured & covered. They do not have to be declared to be insured.

Is that something universally available or just in certain states or with certain companies?

I know that my policy requires any member of the primary insured's family that drives the insured vehicles to be named/covered on the policy and assigned a primary vehicle. I'm not sure how that would work with a single-vehicle family. LOL

When my time comes, I'm definitely going to assign them to whichever the cheapest one ends up being (I have lots of variety - maybe the Pinto with its sub-100 hp?)! And, they're also paying a portion of the cost to help ease them into the real world.

edited March 2015
    I was unintentionally inconsiderate this morning. I wish I could apologize to the other driver, but so it goes.

I was driving in the left lane of a divided highway (two each way), 55mph limit, this morning. The car in front of me was moping along at about ten under. As we were headed along, the driver signals left, slows with intent, and pulls partially onto the shoulder. Thinking they were stopping on the shoulder for some reason, I just checked my right mirror, veered briefly into that lane, passed, and slipped back into the left lane (before hitting the pickup that was *just* ahead of that car in the right lane). As I'm just about around that car, the driver speeds up and swerves right, nearly contacting me before I dodged and made it around.

Thinking that odd, the other driver then honks at me, stays in the lane, and continues close behind me another 1,000 feet or more until we approach an intersection where there's a left lane... then takes that left lane (all the while the left blinker is on). Ah, so THAT is what the driver meant! Driving on the shoulder isn't an uncommon habit in the winter months here, but also slowing AND signaling for a turn that's way, way out there? That was a perfect storm that I simply mis-interpreted.

Sorry, bud! :s
    euphonium said:

stevedebi said:

fintail said:

stevedebi said:

I'm with USAA, and I the rates vary on who is qualified to drive the vehicles, as well as what the vehicles are, etc. Our policies allow others to drive the cars, but not if they are to be the primary drivers. That part of the policy is meant for folks who borrow the cars, or help with a carpool, etc. Not people who drive all the time. Perhaps your policy is different, but it was that way when I got my license way back in the '70s. I took drivers ed in college because it wasn't offered in high school where I graduated.

Funny story, I was at NMMI in Roswell NM at the time I took the course. They have a Junior College and a High School there. The first day of driver training the instructor pulled up in a Chevette. There were 3 student drivers including myself. I was the oldest so he let me drive first. I got in and pulled away. The teacher let out a sigh of relief and asked if I had driven before. I was 18, and had been driving in Germany since I was 15 1/2. When some of the of the students got a chance, I found out why he had been holding his breath...
    Is testing still by the state there, or is it privatized too? Here it is all privatized now, and that kind of worries me, especially with so many affluent first generation drivers here, and the clueless situation on so many local roads.
    stevedebi said:

xwesx said:

euphonium said:

Is that something universally available or just in certain states or with certain companies?

I know that my policy requires any member of the primary insured's family that drives the insured vehicles to be named/covered on the policy and assigned a primary vehicle. I'm not sure how that would work with a single-vehicle family. LOL

When my time comes, I'm definitely going to assign them to whichever the cheapest one ends up being (I have lots of variety - maybe the Pinto with its sub-100 hp?)! And, they're also paying a portion of the cost to help ease them into the real world.

"requires" = wants you to declare your child so the insurance company can get a premium amount that is in excess of how much the child actually drives. Your member residents of your household are already insured under your policy. The only way they are not is if you sign a drivers exclusion endorsement.
    edited March 2015
    euphonium said:

xwesx said:

euphonium said:

"requires" = wants you to declare your child so the insurance company can get a premium amount that is in excess of how much the child actually drives. Your member residents of your household are already insured under your policy. The only way they are not is if you sign a drivers exclusion endorsement.
    Actually I just called USAA to add her driving course. Once she is a primary driver, she is assigned to her own primary car, and the rates go up appropriate to the amount she drives. If you don't do that and there is an accident investigation, I'm not sure the policy has to pay if she is really more than an occasional driver. It is the law here, not sure about where you live. And maybe some insurance companies operate differently. One would never know (and hopefully it never happens) until there was an accident and the amount of driving came out.

No change in rates right now since she has a learners permit.

Here is the CA DMV website URL. You have to add the teen to the policy.

http://www.dmv.org/insurance/insuring-my-teen-driver-faqs.php
    fintail said:

Is testing still by the state there, or is it privatized too? Here it is all privatized now, and that kind of worries me, especially with so many affluent first generation drivers here, and the clueless situation on so many local roads.

stevedebi said:

She has to go to the DMV to get a driving test behind the wheel. She already took the written test - at the DMV.
    edited March 2015
    Interesting, guys. Clearly, I need to investigate this more as the time draws nearer. My kids definitely are not going to be primary drivers of anything until they have their own cars, policies, and income.
    Unless specifically excluded by name, all members of the residence are included in coverage no matter which vehicle they drive as Liability follows the car, not the driver. Read the "Exclusions" section of your policy.
    euphonium said:

Unless specifically excluded by name, all members of the residence are included in coverage no matter which vehicle they drive as Liability follows the car, not the driver. Read the "Exclusions" section of your policy.

Do you have a legal reference for this? CA doesn't seem to agree with you, and neither does the USAA service representative. If something happens, it could be up in the air as to coverage.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2011/05/18/dont-hide-teen-driver-insurance-company/
    It's not up in the air as to coverage. Read your contract especially the exclusions. USAA has an axe to grind. They want the premium that is always in excess of the amount driven by the youthful operator. It is against "public policy" to not enforce liability for 3rd party crashes. The innocent driver can not be denied damages due to the at fault driver's insurance company's rules.
    That's good. I support private testing for motorcycles, as the instructors will have more skin in the game, but I am leery of privatized license exams, especially the driving test.

On the thread topic, I was thinking of making a compilation dashcam video of non-signalers, but it's going to be too much work - sometimes it seems like signal use is below 50%. Phone use remains off the hook, too - whenever I see that idiotic underhanded turning procedure, I know a phone is involved.
    stevedebi said:

She has to go to the DMV to get a driving test behind the wheel. She already took the written test - at the DMV.