Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oh Nuts, We Hate When This Happens - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2015 in Volkswagen
imageOh Nuts, We Hate When This Happens - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

Was our 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI a victim of the carwash gremlin? It appears a piece is missing from the exterior of our prized hot-hatch.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dvanosdvanos Member Posts: 52
    Negative ghostrider.
  • Options
    notfastnotfast Member Posts: 93
    Automatic car wash? If so - oops.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    That's not just plastic---it's GERMAN plastic. I figure $30 bucks easy. Just buy one for a Toyota for $4 and be happy.
  • Options
    fmkofmko Member Posts: 21
    when you get the replacement one, super glue it
  • Options
    bc1960bc1960 Member Posts: 171
    Interesting. On my Mazda6, the corresponding part is solidly hinged on the same rivet as the wiper arm; in fact, the weaker pivots of the plastic cap are protected by the metal arm on the outside. I had to run outside to check the new Mazda3; it is a snap-on part but it's so tight I don't want to try removing it until necessary. I only go to "touchless" washes when I use one and so far the water jet pressure hasn't dislodged any trim (it has happened on older cars with well-used, looser bits).
  • Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311

That's not just plastic---it's GERMAN plastic. I figure $30 bucks easy. Just buy one for a Toyota for $4 and be happy.

Mexican plastic?

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Maybe...okay German prices then :)

My MINI has the plastic cap with the spray nozzle built into it--I think I paid $17 on the internet for it.
  • Options
    misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    Wait, I thought the Golf was still made in Germany? Or was the previous model the final generation to be made there?
  • Options
    g35bufg35buf Member Posts: 89
    Have had 3 VWs - Mark V Rabbit, Tiguan and Mark VI GTI - never had ANY issues with the rear wiper components...You must have some rough automatic car washes out there in SoCal...These VWs have been through rough Western NY and Southern ON winters with no exterior component issues whatsoever. Must be on you or the miscalibrated car wash you use...
  • Options
    legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    benjaminh said:

Mexican plastic?

German price list.
  • Options
    DebunkerDebunker Member Posts: 49
    As with g35buf, I've had four Golfs (GTI, TDI, etc., and have probably gone through car washes 400 times without such a problem. Leave it to you guys!
  • Options
    emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    Likely a fluke. I have a Sportwagen with the rear wiper and in 60K miles of automatic car washes it's still attached.