Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Engine Ticking Knocking Tapping Noise

ragpieragpie Member Posts: 1
edited March 2015 in Kia
I have uploaded a youtube video of the engine noise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd5uyQxPrEA

It's a 07 Kia Rondo 2.4L I4 engine. I changed the spark plugs, and did a full synthetic oil change. The noise appears to come from the top side of the engine, but my ears aren't too reliable. The ticking noise gets louder when I revved it up, and loudest around 2000 rpm. The car drives fine, no check engine light.

Need help to figure this out. Please let us know in the comments.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    a cylinder is not firing or engine very low on oil? remeasure oil level when engine cold/flat. use inductive timing light to find if a cylinder not firing. using a long socket-extendor/bar or piece of wood like stethoscope can help pinpoint noises but stay away from belt/fan, very careful.
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    Trying to tell what is wrong from the audio in a video is tough, but that sounds like a loss of oil pressure. Can you put a mechanical gage on it and measure the pressure?

The possibility of carbon (or something else) on top of a piston also exists, by chance was the noise there before you changed the spark plugs?