Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2015 Nissan Murano Long-Term Road Test - Introduction

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2015 in Nissan
image2015 Nissan Murano Long-Term Road Test - Introduction

What Did We Get?
The Nissan Murano is one of the few midsize SUVs that has remained truly midsized. While some of its competitors have become bigger to accommodate a third row of seating, the Murano has stuck with its five-passenger setup while the smaller Rogue and larger Pathfinder cater to those looking for seven-passenger capacity.

Read the full story here

Comments

• stangmatt66stangmatt66 Member Posts: 16
    I am SUPER excited about this long-term vehicle. The Murano is high on my shopping list and I can't wait to see your long-term opinion before I buy in April.
  • faztang1faztang1 Member Posts: 13
    I think your best and worst mpg are backward. Hope the MPG's get better. I have a 2011 and am averaging 18.8!
  • kshankarkshankar Member Posts: 175
    Excellent styling unfortunately no upgrades to the powertrain.
  • patinthecitypatinthecity Member Posts: 40
    edited February 2015
    Wow, is 18.7 considered competitive let alone good? The 3.5 is in need of a liter reduction, turbo and direct injection. Keep it a six though. Tired of these noisy four-pots only doing marginally better MPGs compared to sixes.
  • mwfromva75_mwfromva75_ Member Posts: 37
    Hey Nissan, tow capacity SUCKS. Fix that, and you have at least one more sale. Oh yeah, while I'm at it, engine upgrades would be nice, as well as a power liftgate option without having to get leather interior.
  • mittzombiemittzombie Member Posts: 162
    Possibly the ugliest vehicle currently built.
  • cameronrcameronr Member Posts: 38
    faztang1 said:

I think your best and worst mpg are backward. Hope the MPG's get better. I have a 2011 and am averaging 18.8!

I take full responsibility for this one. A correction has been submitted, thanks!
    EDMUNDS NEWS AND REVIEWS EDITOR
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021

Wow, is 18.7 considered competitive let alone good? The 3.5 is in need of a liter reduction, turbo and direct injection. Keep it a six though. Tired of these noisy four-pots only doing marginally better MPGs compared to sixes.

Seriously? You are going to criticise the MPG on a vehicle that has 276 miles on it?
  • cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274
    I know looks are subjective but to me... that thing is just ugly all day long. The exterior is a mess and the back end looks like that thing has some HUGE blindspots. I'm not a fan.
  • bonzjrbonzjr Member Posts: 44
    Two Nissan SUVs at once. Holy lack of variety, Batman! You have very few manual trans cars (blah blah no one buys them, we get it). An utterly poor representation of every day cars filling out the fleet (you have ONE mainstream passenger car right now with the Sonata... one). It's an odd Frankenstein-line collection of stuff that manufacturers just seem to throw at you these days, isn't it? The march of a once great website toward dull obscurity continues.
  • iamthestigiamthestig Member Posts: 85
    bonzjr said:

Two Nissan SUVs at once. Holy lack of variety, Batman!

The Rogue is on its way out... It's nearing 20,000 miles and its long-term test began at the beginning of March 2014. I'm looking forward to seeing the comparison in the long-term test of the new Murano compared to the Rogue.

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Interesting choice. Look forward to hearing how it pans out. $42k is not a cheap vehicle, but at fully loaded I guess its what you'd expect.
  • greg128greg128 Member Posts: 528
    edited February 2015
    I am trying to figure out which new Nissan is uglier...This or the new Maxima. I am leaning toward the latter. That car is VERY ugly and this comes from a former Maxima owner. Generally I am not a fan of the new styling trends. As each manufacturer tries to out-style one another it is like young teenage girls using too much make-up....and the results are grotesque. The worst offenders n my opinion: Lexus, Mercedes, Toyota, Infiniti, Hyundai (although new models much improved..bucking the trend which is good) , Kia (on the edge between overstyling and edgy and I like the Optima) and now Nissan.

My opinion of nice looking cars: Audi, Most BMW's,(i-3 is horrible) Cadillac, Chevrolet (Except Corvette and Cruze) , Honda (on a positive trend), Minimalist VW (conservatively handsome), Jaguar (classy), Subaru (mostly handsome if uninspiring), most Buicks, and most Chrysler-Jeep offerings
  • dgcamerodgcamero Member Posts: 148
    This thing is uglier with each generation. I liked the look of the first gen...then it got uglier with the 2nd. This thing is hideous though. I wish they'd bring the old smooth 3L back, maybe with the aforementioned DI and a turbo or supercharger. The 3.5L VQ V6 sadly sounds like a softball stuck in a garbage disposal. Sad because it has a nice amount of torque and power, but is not particularly efficient.
  • bonzjrbonzjr Member Posts: 44

bonzjr said:

Two Nissan SUVs at once. Holy lack of variety, Batman!

The Rogue is on its way out... It's nearing 20,000 miles and its long-term test began at the beginning of March 2014. I'm looking forward to seeing the comparison in the long-term test of the new Murano compared to the Rogue.

Even though the Rogue is gone it doesn't really change the point I made. Another Nissan SUV -- even in back-to-back form versus direct overlap -- is dull and unimaginative. It's not covering a broad mix of the market. So you really haven't refuted my point so much as simply promoted your desire to see the Murano tested. Well lucky you, I guess. But in the end my point stands.

Side note: anyone proclaiming to be the Stig (even tongue-in-cheek) certainly should rethink their moniker once professing the desire to see two CVT-equipped and dynamically dull SUVs compared to each other. Sure, enthusiasts like to read about all sorts of cars (myself included), but that seems to be a bit much doesn't it? ;)
  • glastonburyglastonbury Member Posts: 22
    Nissan Murano....ha! The suckers who buy a Murano will very likely be sorry and need a 2nd mortgage to finance repairs. Oh, geez was that VQ engine in the 15 murano taken out of a old shed next to a horse buggy wip....that engine is dated and lame.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's old, but that VQ made Ward's 10 best engine list for over ten straight years.
    So what....read The Reckoning...The Nissan VQ is all that Nissan really has...and, tell me with a straight face the nissan Vq is better than the 4cyl di beemer engine.

Silence, that's what i thought.
    Old. Old old....grandma old engine technology in this pos. Prospective buyers - do you eant to hear about my documented 20k repairs on my wfe's murano. Murano is the worst car i ever owned...the worst mechanically...proof positive [non-permissible content removed] make crap too.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2015
    I ran the VG33E in my Quest for 200k and I'm sure it's still going strong. I did like that Ford made Nissan adapt it so that it was a non-interference engine. Mine broke around 180k iirc, and kept on going after a tow to the shop for a new timing belt.

The rap on the older Muranos was the CVT.