Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lousy Door Handle Design - 2015 Ford F-150 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2015 in Ford
imageLousy Door Handle Design - 2015 Ford F-150 Long-Term Road Test

The design of the door handle in our 2015 Ford F-150 is one of my least favorite aspects of the truck, here's why.

Read the full story here

Comments

• jeepsrtjeepsrt Member Posts: 88
    How is that different from pulling a door handle toward you and pushing it open with your arm? I drove a Super Duty for a few days and actually preferred this to my '12 F-150 door handle.
  • fst1fst1 Member Posts: 18
    jeepsrt: Point taken. I guess it's the fact that it's a "squeezing" motion instead of a pulling motion that makes it seem odd to me.
  • henry4hirehenry4hire Member Posts: 106
    I thought the shifter felt weird. It seems very bulbous for no reason and doesn't fit around my hand well at all.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    " I guess it's the fact that it's a "squeezing" motion instead of a pulling motion that makes it seem odd to me. "

That still doesn't make sense. You can squeeze the handle and push the door open with the same hand using this design but when you have to pull outward on a handle you can't push the door at the same time with the same hand. The time savings with this design are extremely minimal but it seems some thought was put into it and it is a good design.

You can pull up on a handle and push the door open with the same hand like you could on your '86 but I don't know of any vehicles that use that design today.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    Ford by design allows the door to unlock from the inside with a single motion, in this case the squeezing of the inside handle. If they went to a handle on the inside that pushed, then the door could be inadvertently opened at any time if they kept the same strategy. That would be unsafe and so all of their handles are designed with that un-lock feature in mind.
  • 500rwhp500rwhp Member Posts: 99
    I have a new 2015 F150, and compared to my old 2010 F150 I prefer this design. Maybe I have an advanced brain and can squeeze my hand and push my arm at the same time. Who knows. I like it.
  • skyisthelimitskyisthelimit Member Posts: 46
    Have you told your dealer about it?