Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

For MyFord Touch, No News Is Good News - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2015 in Ford
imageFor MyFord Touch, No News Is Good News - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Ford has been gradually improving the MyFord Touch interface. In our 2015 Ford Mustang GT, it's no longer a big liability.

Read the full story here

Comments

• legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    Good to hear. I minor thing but can you comment on the HVAC temperature control. It looks like they've come up with something a little different and less useful than standard dials.
  • sxty8stangsxty8stang Member Posts: 58
    legacygt said:

Good to hear. I minor thing but can you comment on the HVAC temperature control. It looks like they've come up with something a little different and less useful than standard dials.

You can adjust the temperature through the MFT interface, through voice commands, or using the controls under the touchscreen. To change the temp with the controls, you move the silver dials up/down - one is for the driver and one for the passenger. It's different but you get used to it pretty quick, at least I did.

As for MyFordTouch as a whole, I think it works fine. I've used it in a 2012 Explorer, 2013 Escape, 2014 Flex and 2015 Mustang, all with zero issues working with my iPhone. It's not the greatest infotainment system ever but I agree, Brent, that it shouldn't be a detriment to anybody buying this car. Ford did a good job creating redundant controls on it.
  • adantiumadantium Member Posts: 42
    This is good news since I ordered the 2015 Mustang Convertible with the same system and I'm just hoping for the best at this point since I never had the chance to sit in one. By the way how is the 12 speaker Shaker Pro sound system? Can you have one of your pros do a review please? I'd greatly appreciate it.
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    Yeah, Microsoft always seemed to get the flak for Sync's issues, but Sync is Ford software running on top of a MS embedded system, therefore the blame for any problems with the UX should go to Ford.

Having said that, the in-car systems that are based on QNX (Blackberry) are pretty much universally praised. Maybe even Ford won't manage to screw it up next time?
  • socal_ericsocal_eric Member Posts: 189
    The "Microsoft" part in the original Sync was largely their voice recognition technology and embedded operating system (OS) to run it, which was built on the very capable and mature technology from the Windows CE/Embedded and Windows Mobile development. It's easy to pan MS for the MyFord Touch, but the graphical touch screen interface for that system was actually created by a third-party developed using a now long-dead Adobe Flash-based development environment running on the Microsoft embedded OS and still leveraging their technology for things like voice recognition. As such, think of the poor performance, interface, bugs and crashes as being due to a buggy application running on an otherwise stable and mature operating system.

I have no problem with Microsoft's embedded OS technologies and the QNX/Blackberry real-time OS are also very mature. What I'm more interested in is the developers doing the front-end, human-machine interface. Supposedly Ford has brought this in-house for the next version. While I could work around the MyFord Touch interface in my Focus ST, the buttons were small and not shaped well for easy use while driving and I can remember trying to navigate my iPod with a larger, 1k+ album, 10k+ song library and arguing with the system for twenty minutes trying to browse and find a certain album and other infuriating interface glitches. Workable, yes. A pleasure to use, far from it...