Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Car is Right For Me? Help Me Choose!

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You can negotiate over email and phone. But always get their offers in writing, not just over the phone.

Used car prices are often under average KBB. That is only a guide. If you aren't comfortable negotiating with a dealer, I strongly recommend you find someone you trust who is comfortable (family member, friend) and let them help you.

Your goal is to get the car you want for the lowest price possible. The dealer's goal is to sell you their car for the highest price possible. But it's up to them to decide what they are willing to sell the car for, not you. So you can offer anything you want. They can always say, "No thanks." Just as you can!

First, find more than one car that meets your needs. You never want to have only one option. But if you can't do that, at the least don't let the dealer know you want only their car!! Act like you could walk at any time if you don't get your price.

What I like to do is let the dealer know that I am willing to buy (or lease) the car for $X today, right now. That X is always less than their asking price, unless they are a no-haggle dealership (some in my area are). I do that even if I think the asking price is reasonable. (Last time I did that for a used car, the salesman just smiled and told me if I wanted to buy one of his new Infinitis, he'd be glad to give me a big discount, but not for the old car I was buying--which was already at a great price.) Have a maximum price in mind when you make your offer. e.g. say the asking price is $16k. Your target is $15k. So you offer $14k. Your goal is to get the car for no more than $15k. If they won't go that low, get up, shake hands, tell them you're sorry you couldn't make a deal, and walk out. (Or do something similar over email.) If they follow you out, or call you later, they'll go lower. (You see why you want someone experienced at this to help you?)

About getting a dealer's car inspected... if you buy a car that's still under warranty (like the 2013 Elantra GT you mentioned is), that's not an issue. Even if not under factory warranty, it may have a dealer warranty--that's the law in my state for late-model used cars. If there's no warranty at all, then they should have no problem with your taking it to a mechanic you trust for an inspection. Since you're doing this long distance, I recommend you find a car still under factory warranty (could be a factory extended warranty, i.e. CPO car).
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I would recommend you get any used car checked out by a mechanic. It's also a measure of a reputable dealer because anyone who balks isn't trustworthy. And if you find a problem it can get fixed BEFORE you buy it.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • tristan15tristan15 Member Posts: 21

Thanks you for all that valuable information, I really appreciate.

I think I might have to get somebody to help me as English isn't my first language and over the phone conversation is definitely not my forte.

If I get things right, prices online (Kbb, autotrader...) are excluding sale taxes and additional fees? It can sound silly to ask but where I'm from, prices are advertised with everything included. 

Anyway, my question is , when negotiating with a dealer, are we negotiating on the total price ( including taxes and fees ) or on the online advertised price?

At what point are those additional fees discussed? 

Thanks again.

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    edited September 2014
    You'll want to state that you want the "Out the door" price, with all taxes and fees.

For more information on buying a car follow this link, then click on all the different articles about how to buy a car:
    http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/
    Used car is pretty straightforward. Sales taxes are standard for your state, as is fee to transfer title. So those will be the same everywhere. I negotiate by asking price myself.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Hello,

What do you guys think about those two offers :

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/613174165/overview/

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/611203370/overview/#14

How come the second one has such a low mileage ? Is it something that could be a bad sign ?
    What are the things to check first when checking an ad like that ?

Thanks for your help.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    not that low. Depending on when it was bought, might not be much more than 1 year old. Or someone didn't drive much! IMO you should treat them the same way in terms of due diligence.

the big difference is the white low miles one is a stick shift not an automatic. So not sure if you care, but that could help explain the price difference.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I actually don't care and was exclusively driving manual in France so it really doesn't matter to me to get either a manual or automatic.
    Would it be easier to negotiate for a manual ? Are american that reluctant to get manual cars ?

Thanks.
    Much rarer. If you don't care might be able to use that to save money.

I called the dealer for the following car :
    http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/613174165/overview/
    And it's been on their lot for already 50 days and it's gonna be sent to auction in the following 5/10 days.
    What do you guys think about that kind of situation ? What shall I do ?

Thanks.
    I think you have very motivated seller! Make him an offer! He will get a lot less for the car in an auction than selling it himself. Be sure to get his firm offer of "out the door" price in writing e.g. email before making the trip there.
    agreed with Backy. much better for them to sell at a bargain price to a buyer than to get less sending to auction. Formulate a strong but not crazy price, and make it. Make sure they know you are ready to buy immediately (I assume you are) if they come up with the right #.

I would be down as I'm really interested in the vehicle but I think that 5/10 days won't be enough for me to gather the funds and get everything ready.
    Aren't I supposed to have a car insurance before buying any car ? I have never owned a car before and I needed some clarification about that.

Thanks.
    edited September 2014
    Re financing, you can ask the dealer about their financing options. Some offer good rates. Also, it takes very little time to get an OK on a car loan from a bank, if you can provide basic information such as your work history, income verification etc.

Re insurance, you don't need insurance until you buy the car. But start checking now--just give the car's VIN to the insurance company and they can give you a quote. You can always switch insurance providers later if you find a better rate.
    Thanks for the info. What insurance provider provide the best value for the money ? I am looking for something affordable but not something so cheap that it won't provide any decent coverage.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited September 2014
    You should shop around - it doesn't take too long to get a quote. I'm shopping right now and have been to two agents (one gave me a quote online). Same coverage came in $200 higher on one.
    Definitely shop around, but be sure to get quotes from Progressive, Geico, and Liberty Mutual.

If you finance the car, there are minimum insurance coverages you must have. Ask the insurance company about that when you get the quotes.
    So the dealership keep decreasing the price, it is now at 13,837$ on their website ( used to be $14,435 a week ago ) which sounds to be really low compare to kbb estimations. What are your thoughts on that ?
    Buy it before someone else snaps it up! They are trying to sell it before they have to take it to auction. Be sure to get a CarFax from the dealer (they should give it to you for free), it can help ensure the car hasn't had major body work.
    edited September 2014
    well the car is not appearing on cars.com anymore, I went back to the dealership website and they changed the price to 16,837$. Are they just playing around ? Which is nice is that I still had the webpages opened so I have the visual proof that they actually put the car at 13,837$ and I have the email of the quote when it used to be 14,435$.

EDIT: Nevermind, it got sold.
    Could be gone. First rule if used car shopping. When you see a deal, snooze and you lose.

It's okay. I could have never gotten it in time. As I was saying, i'm from france and so I just got in the process of taking my driving licence in the usa. And the earliest date to take the driving test is in a month.
    Hopefully, other good offers will be posted.
    Ah byes, having a license provably cones in handy. There will always be another car coming along

Yeah I am sure. I just need to be patient and get everything ready on my side.
    I had another question, I might not be able to gather all the funds, what alternatives do I have ? Is it better to get a loan from a bank or with the car dealership. What kind of interest I might be looking at ? ( how many percentages ?)
    Thanks.
    Check out both banks and dealer rates. Sometimes automakers have special financing available on certain new cars, like 0% or 0.9%. Sometimes you can get a rebate if you don't take their low financing, but other times there is no rebate if you don't take the financing. Banks can offer very attractive rates. Those special rates require good credit. The bank I use for my car loans has a 1.75% fixed rate for 60 months on new cars now, or 2.75% on used cars, for people with good credit. But dealers can have arrangements with multiple lenders and may offer low rates also. Shop around.
    I might be able to get this car :
    http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/617890339/overview/

What do you guys think about it ?

Thanks
    Or also this one that was posted recently :

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/617098103/overview/

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    between those 2, its a pretty easy choice. One is certified and one is not.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I may need this thread in December. My short list is up to 11, and growing daily. And that is without really thinking hard about it!

qbrozen said:

between those 2, its a pretty easy choice. One is certified and one is not.

Yes, I'd go for the Certified model which also costs a little less. You get the full 10 year/100k mile powertrain warranty that way, plus the remainder of the bumper-to-bumper warranty. And personally I prefer silver to black for paint color--black is sharp when clean but really hard to keep clean.
    Tell me if I'm wrong guys but isn't the black model still under warranty too since it's a recent model ?
    Thanks
    edited October 2014
    yes, but its not as good of a warranty. When hyundais go to their second owner, the powertrain defaults to 5yr/60k. CPO reinstates the 10/100k, not to mention all the other benefits.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

So I went to a dealership to see a car, Test drove it. Then started to talk pricing, they offered 15 900 then I said 15 300. They came back with 15 650, I help my position and they came back with 15 575 then the manager left and came back with a paper that was supposed to show the price he paid the car for and that he was willing to sell me the car for what he paid for it which was 15 475 ( I had an hard time believing him and think that was another salesman trick ). He said that he couldn't go under this price since it was the price he paid for the car, so I walked away.
    What's the next step now ? Do you think they will re contact me ?
    If they left money on table, maybe. Or with a used car, if nice and priced well, just sell it to someone else. Don't take it personally, but in that scenario, you just aren't worth their time!

What they paid is irrelevant, but carries psychological weight. Bottom line, did you want the car? Was 15.3 a real aggressive offer? If so, 15.5 is pretty darned close so why not just get it?

If there was a lot left on the table they would nit have let you leave. Have you found as nice a car cheaper elsewhere?

I ended up getting it for 15 300 talking with another manager. Thank you guys for all the help you provided me !
    good for you. enjoy it.

• froski_broskifroski_broski Member Posts: 5
    Hi I am looking for a car that sounds amazing! It will be my first car and I have about $5000. Also I don't want a pony or muscle car (I actually do but insurance is a reality :( ) any suggestions? Thanks! :) 
    sounds amazing, as in exhaust/engine note? Outside of V8 rumble (hard to do reliably for that budget if you have insurance issues!) not sure what else counts, and it is of course subjective.

I would think that spending less on a car and investing in an after market exhaust system might get you what you want.

totally subjective and would need more info. Apparently, many folks think a Civic with 6 inch diameter tailpipe sounds amazing. I wholeheartedly disagree.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you are under 35 and bought a car in the last year or two after not being able to previously afford one, please email PR@edmunds.com by Friday, March 13, 2015 to share your story with a reporter.
    I'm looking for a small SUV for my wife for when the lease is up on her 2013 Sonata this fall. I went to our local auto show this past weekend and checked out all the small SUVs. Here's my impressions:

* HR-V: Looks like a great package--roomy inside, compact outside. Not much power but she doesn't need it for her schlepping around town. Should have excellent FE with the CVT. Should start around $20k for an LX FWD. Might be in short supply initially, but I don't need to buy until late November.
    * Trax: Roomy enough inside, has fold-flat rear seat with a fold-forward cushion, good headroom. But interior has some cheap bits, and FE is considerably less than the HR-Vs. But I'd take it over the Encore.
    * Renegade: I don't think my wife will like the Jeep look. And a Fiat under the covers. Hmmm...
    * CX-5 (2016): Nice package, but starts at $25k. I like it, but my wife will be the main driver.
    * Forester: Hard to go wrong with it, but also on the pricey side. Standard AWD though.
    * CR-V: I hate the styling. For what an LX costs, I'd rather get a loaded HR-V.
    * Escape: I drove an Escape S the other day and liked the handling and how the rear seat folds flat. And price is very reasonable with the usual boat load of Ford incentives.
    * Sportage, Tucson, Equinox, Terrain, Tiguan... sorry no.
    * Q3: My favorite. Great value for ~$32k. But my wife already said No, she doesn't want such a "fancy" car.

There's also used options like the previous-gen CR-V and Forester, a used CX-5, or a CPO Escape.

Comments?
    you missed my absolute favorite from what I have seen and read. The upcoming Mazda CX-3. directly comparable to the HR-V size wise, but in the one comparison I recall seeing, it drove better.

Have her try the Encore. I just got one and I love it. So much nicer than the Trax and it is a perfect schlepping around town vehicle. Seating is high but not too high, good visibility, a breeze to maneuver in and out of tight places, and plenty of room for groceries, dogs, and whatever else you might be carrying. Surprisingly roomy inside for such a small vehicle. The HR-V will be great too but I predict hard to find and no deals. At least that's the way the Fit was its first 2 years out.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    backy said:

* Renegade: I don't think my wife will like the Jeep look. And a Fiat under the covers. Hmmm...

As for the looks, check out the 500X. Much better looking, IMHO (although I like the looks of both for different reasons).

stickguy said:

you missed my absolute favorite from what I have seen and read. The upcoming Mazda CX-3. directly comparable to the HR-V size wise, but in the one comparison I recall seeing, it drove better.

The reason I missed the CX-3 was because... it wasn't there!! :(

I have a feeling it will drive better than the HR-V but have less cargo room.

edited March 2015
    suydam said:

Have her try the Encore. I just got one and I love it. So much nicer than the Trax and it is a perfect schlepping around town vehicle. Seating is high but not too high, good visibility, a breeze to maneuver in and out of tight places, and plenty of room for groceries, dogs, and whatever else you might be carrying. Surprisingly roomy inside for such a small vehicle. The HR-V will be great too but I predict hard to find and no deals. At least that's the way the Fit was its first 2 years out.

The base Encore starts at nearly $26k. For that money, I can probably get a loaded HR-V. An Encore with leather is $30k... pretty close to what the Q3 runs. For a little more, I'd take the Q3.

You can get it for much less. I got the convenience trim (mid level) and at the time there was $2k cash back plus whatever you can negotiate. There will be very little negotiation on an HR-V I predict.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    But the HR-V is going to start at about $20k flat, and so even at msrp it's going to be a fairly good deal imho.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145
    I don't think the HR-V and the Encore are meant to compete ... the Chevrolet Trax will be the competition.

The Encore is probably cross-shopped with the Q3, GLA and X1.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4