Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Continental Concept Previews Future Full-Size Production Sedan | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2015 in Lincoln
imageLincoln Continental Concept Previews Future Full-Size Production Sedan | Edmunds.com

The Lincoln Continental concept full-size sedan is a preview of an upcoming production sedan that will go on sale in 2016.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kokomojoekokomojoe Member Posts: 150
    This is the best looking car from Ford/Lincoln in a decade now if they make it Rear Wheel Drive they will have a luxury car
  • different1different1 Member Posts: 8
    nice Jag
  • hlislehlisle Member Posts: 8
    looks like a bloated Audi
  • quidycatquidycat Member Posts: 12
    probably one of the best looking american cars
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    Glad to see Ford bringing back the Lincoln Continental nameplate. The sheet metal design looks modern and conveys presence. Let's hope that underneath that it's not just a rebadged Taurus.
  • skw0123skw0123 Member Posts: 33
    It doesn't have front-midships RWD proportions, so the guess is that they're either doing a fwd (which will probably mess up the nice balance of this design) or they're doing an Audi-like longitudinal setup that attempts to minimize weight in front of the centerline of the front axle but still hangs the engine out front...perfect for standard AWD though.
  • kshankarkshankar Member Posts: 175
    Its about time the Continental is back and make it worthy with a V12 twin turbo Ecoboost pumping around 675-725 HP and equal amounts of torque :-)
  • vrooomf1vrooomf1 Member Posts: 28
    Nice A8 from Lincoln!
  • sjw91sjw91 Member Posts: 22
    Looks like a Chrysler 300 with a wider grille.
  • DebunkerDebunker Member Posts: 49
    Better delete some of that chrome in front of the driver or you're going to need "blinded driver assist".
  • chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    Not bad at all. In all fairness, Ford seems to really be excelling in terms of design. The main problem is that Lincolns are essentially based on Ford platforms. Sometimes, that's not a big deal, but when you get into the same market as the 3/5 series, A4/A6, etc. Ford underpinnings aren't going to cut it. Honda has the same problem with Acura, in a sense.
  • pommahpommah Member Posts: 71
    Detroit always does this, makes a great looking show car, then the real thing disappoints. You know this thing will be a POS when it arrives. Can you say, "Chrysler Crossfire?"
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    It's nice to see Fomoco and Lincoln move off the corporate formula. A real name and an unique grill. Also nice to see it will likely be an actual American luxury cruiser instead of an excessively styled attempt to copycat BMW and Audi. The Detroit newspaper is speculating it will be FWD or AWD because apparently the RWD platform is still several years off before development is finished. Those wheels though - too much bling! But it's a concept so they will probably be toned down.
  • subatomicsubatomic Member Posts: 140
    edited March 2015
    I am not certain if this new design language was brought about by the preferences of customers in China or stiff competition from Cadillac or perhaps both. I hope that Lincoln creates or chooses a good styling language and pursues it. It seems like the brand just finished revamping its entire product line-up with the split-wing grill and now the current design language is going to be abandoned. Lincoln needs to settle on a design theme and then evolve, polish and refine it. Cadillac created the "Art & Science" design theme about 15 years ago and they have chosen to stick with it over the years while refining it and improving it. Lincoln should try to do the same.
  • 500rwhp500rwhp Member Posts: 99
    Congratulations, you have designed the Jaguar A8. Errrr the Audi XJ. Whatever.
  • qristoferqristofer Member Posts: 22
    If this is the flagship car is it safe to assume the Towncar is dead?
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    I am glad to see Lincoln embrace a classic nameplate. The grill is too Kia for me, I really like the winged grill shape from the MKZ (and only the Z, it is the best version of that grill style). Like it or not, it is distinctive and all Lincoln. I have read FWD and possibly AWD. I think that if Ford isn't going to offer RWD, then just go standard AWD like Audi.

Overall not a bad effort.
  • meteor10meteor10 Member Posts: 59
    it looks like a serious representative car and seems that they will have good quality of materials inside, so hopefully no disappointment)
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,652
    edited April 2015
    I think the styling is kind of generic, mostly Audi with a touch of Chrysler thrown in. But, at least it has an expensive, upscale look about it. If I saw one out on the streets, I probably wouldn't identify it as a Lincoln right away, but would at least recognize it as an upscale car. And, I'm glad to see Lincoln moving away from Oldsmobile grilles...
    People are already comparing them with the upcoming Cadillac CTS 6. I think it is actually a good thing that the two makes seem to be going in different directions pursuing different buyer tastes and priorities, and think they can both be successful. Not sure I'm buying the arguments that it will be a Cadillac killer though. I think that story will be told further down the line when the Continental is put onto the new Fomoco RWD chassis which apparently still has a few years before it comes out.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    From a 3.5 Six to a 3.0 engine is baffling to me. Why not continue with the same motor as in the present MKS w Ecoboost?
  • mittzombiemittzombie Member Posts: 162
    Looks like a 1999 Audi concept car.
  • cbrandicbrandi Member Posts: 21
    A very nice looking car, conservative three box design but with some very effective bold details. It does have a silhouette similar to the Bentley Flying Spur, but its better looking and better finished outside. See a Flying Spur at my local Bentley dealer was something of a disappointment, it looked unfinished, a little too bland outside. Lincoln did a better job. It's also better looking then the square Audi A8. Again, great design work.
    I think the drop to 3.0L engine has something to do with China regs and taxes.