Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

My dashboard lights won't work. What do I do?

kyledbear00kyledbear00 Member Posts: 4
edited March 2015 in Dodge
What do I need to do to get my dashboard lights to work??

Answers

• kyledbear00kyledbear00 Member Posts: 4
    It's a 96 Dodge Ram 2500
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Take it to the Dodge dealer. Even the I wouldn't be really hopeful. Have you considered a flashlight tied to you r head?
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    Are there any other lights that are inoperative such as the parking lights outside of the truck, or the overhead console or the radio? The parking light circuit sends power to the rheostat in the headlight switch to control the dash light intensity. So if the parking lights are out start by checking fuse #18.
    If the parking lights work check fuse 13 for power as you change the rheostat position with the parking lights on. If that is OK and the overhead console does light up then you are headed towards the instrument cluster lamps themselves or their circuit.
    All the other lights work. It's only the dashboard that doesn't work. 
    Then you'll be pulling the instrument cluster confirming power to pin #1 connector A orange wire. From there you will be looking at the bulbs themselves in the cluster.
    My direstionals work and the high beam lifts comes on but nothing else does. Sorry should of said that earlier. 
    So the parking lights don't work. Correct? The parking light circuit provides power back to the headlight switch for the instrument cluster lights as mentioned earlier. Check fuse #18 and make sure it is good, and has power to it when the headlights are turned on. Even basic circuits such as this demand a disciplined approach when diagnosing a failure. There are no silver bullets and any tips given to look at a particular common trouble area still require some pinpoint testing to confirm if the tip is valid "this time". No-one can just tell you what is wrong. The best someone can do is to tell you how to figure it out but only if you follow through and make the checks that are required.