Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2015 Volkswagen Golf R Road Test | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2015 in Volkswagen

image2015 Volkswagen Golf R Road Test | Edmunds.com

The 2015 Volkswagen Golf R represents the highest-performing model in the lineup, but the increase in price over the Golf GTI should be carefully considered.

Read the full story here

Comments

• mittzombiemittzombie Member Posts: 162
    Fun car, but not reliable, expensive to maintain and insure. Its also a ticket magnet getting more tickets per mile than any car.
  • marcos9marcos9 Member Posts: 96
    Nice hatch, but too small for family duty. What about a Jetta R Sportwagen or Passat R Sportwagen?
  • mdpaymdpay Member Posts: 7
    VW packaging keeps me looking in other directions. Example, pay 5k more for the R then the top of the line Autobahn GTI yet get the base radio from the standard GTI S model. Crazy frustrating. So I looked at Audi, even worse. A3 no back up camera on base model.
  • cynic783cynic783 Member Posts: 30
    what kind of a road test is this? where are the numbers? paging Mr. Jacquot.
  • gtrguy2012gtrguy2012 Member Posts: 14
    Nice car, with tune it should be fast.

Lots of Audi S car type styling cues in this, silver mirrors, quad tip exhaust. This is the poor man's S4.
  • MarkHolthoffMarkHolthoff Member Posts: 101
    edited January 2015
    cynic783 said:

what kind of a road test is this? where are the numbers? paging Mr. Jacquot.

You can find the numbers under the View Road Test Specs link near the top of the article. Here's a direct link: http://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/golf-r/2015/road-test-specs.html

If you are looking for a Track Test, we haven't had the new Golf R at the track yet, unfortunately.
  • saucefansaucefan Member Posts: 1
    The 2015 Golf R does NOT have an available sunroof. It also looks unlikely for the 2016 model. Die hard track enthusiasts see this loss of high up weight as a benefit. While the rest of us see it as a major drawback for warm spring days. Another reason the GTI looks more attractive.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    No stick? No thanks.. :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,429
    @marcos9

"What about a Jetta R Sportwagen or Passat R Sportwagen?"

Because nobody will buy them

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• bwaugh06bwaugh06 Member Posts: 1
    I wish I would hear more about the Haldex AWD system in this car. I feel like nobody goes into detail about how that translates on the road. How does it compare to other AWD systems you've driven from say the WRX STI or the soon forgotten Mitsubishi Evo?
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Given that the first 500 of these sold out (via preorder) within 11 - 12 hours, VW of USA should finally understand what consumers want from them, and serve more of it up.
  • snutvensnutven Member Posts: 1
    Heh, I don't think they drove this car. Certainly sounds rather understated for car that can manage 0-60 in 5 seconds. Especially strange was the comment "Clutch engagement is light enough to not be a burden in stop-and-go traffic". The R is only available with a DSG... which doesn't have a clutch pedal.
  • jaydub5jaydub5 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2015
    Can anyone comment on how this vehicle handles dirt and gravel? The main thing stopping me from buying this pocket rocket is the concern about dirt roads, gravel roads, and washboard situations. This includes body dings, rim scratches, cracked oil pans due to lack of skid plates, etc. as well as long-term reliability.

I know the WRX / STI is probably better in this regard. As is the V60 Cross Country.

I am thinking of keeping my older 4WD SUV, and having the Golf R as a fun commuter. Nonetheless, a third of the time I touch dirt and gravel.

Big thanks.
  • seniorcarguyseniorcarguy Member Posts: 1
    I considered the 2015 GTI instead of the Golf R but decided on the later when the second release just came available. The price difference is not $13G; a fully loaded GTI Autobahm, which is the one for comparing oranges to oranges, is almost $36K, only $4K less than the R. For that difference the choice for me was easy.
  • mittzombiemittzombie Member Posts: 162
    Still just too expensive for a 4w drive GTI with a computer chip upgrade.