Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,252

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    I'd be a little bit hesitant if in the market for a AWD wagon, which I might be with one more winter like last, of picking up a VW when there's Subaru to buy from. For the sake of argument say they are selling for the same price and get about the same gas mileage. Which would you think would cost you more in five years? Which one would leave you stranded at some key moment. My anecdotal evidence would say buy the Subaru. I will admit to hearing the siren of Volkswagen's beautiful song....
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    Seems like I only pop in here once every few months, miss you guy! I'm crazy busy with school and a very busy 14 month old. I still have the '14 Explorer..........20 months now, it has 31k on it and not one problem. Great car by my standards. Still have the '12 Focus, over 60k on it with no problems. The '01 Silverado is still around too, daughter drives it and other than a battery problem its been a good truck for the past year.
    I admit I came very close to trading in the Explorer........very close, but I couldn't pull the trigger. My son has the '14 Focus ST he bought in October, wrecked it a couple weeks ago......$6700 in damage. He's looking to offload the car, but I'm trying to talk him out of it. He goes overseas in November, I'm hoping to take over the car until he gets back and decides what he wants to do with it. If he sells I'm buying!
    So, there you have it, my car life is pretty boring and I do believe I have now violated the terms of my chronic car buyers membership. Hope you guys are doing great, I'll check in as I can.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,427
    @akangl - glad to see you are posting and doing well. 20 months & 31K miles on your Explorer? That has got to be some kind of record for you.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    Michaell said:
     Too late for us...

C'mon, Michael, it's NEVER too late!

How old is that Elantra again?

:D
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    edited April 2015
    Possibly, Fezo. One ace that the VW has: diesel! I'm not sure how that translates to final real-world fuel economy, but it wouldn't surprise me a bit if it is 20-30% better than the Forester.

If they manage to offer the 4-Motion with a diesel engine and manual transmission, I'll definitely be taking a long, hard look at it! Subaru isn't anywhere near my radar right now. I already own the last Subaru I'll probably own.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    xwesx said:

Possibly, Fezo. One ace that the VW has: diesel! I'm not sure how that translates to final real-world fuel economy, but it wouldn't surprise me a bit if it is 20-30% better than the Forester.

If they manage to offer the 4-Motion with a diesel engine and manual transmission, I'll definitely be taking a long, hard look at it! Subaru isn't anywhere near my radar right now. I already own the last Subaru I'll probably own.

In Brown (@Michaell)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Hahahah; yes, of course. Brown and brown only. LOL
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    xwesx said:

When or if those 4-motion diesels arrive, be prepared to pay well in excess of MSRP. The supply of those will always be limited and demand will likely exceed the supply --- the lots will be full of Jettas, Golfs and Passats. You can deal in that arena.
    LOL Not this guy. There are too many other cars out there to pay that kind of money.
    edited April 2015
    slorenzen said:
    rayainsw said:
     Too late for us...
    C'mon, Michael, it's NEVER too late! How old is that Elantra again? :D
    The lease on the Elantra is due November 2016

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539
    So close. Yet so far away. Mine is November 2017. Already antsy.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Michaell said:
    C'mon, Michael, it's NEVER too late!

How old is that Elantra again?

:D

The lease on the Elantra is due November 2016

And I will admit that a brown, manual, AWD, diesel Golf SportWagen does appeal to me.

And every fanboi on the internet. Wonder how many VW will actually sell?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    I like the new Alltrak. But I was thinking - a fully loaded TDI wagon is gonna MSRP in the low-$30k's. So, add 4motion and the cosmetic treatments (cladding, raised height, etc.), and this will easily be a mid-$30k's wagon, right?

Still cheaper than the luxury competition from Volvo and BMW, but that's priced pretty dear from a brand that has some reputation issues (and I like VWs).

I guess a lot depends on the engine and transmission choices that will be made available. Not to be pessimistic, but my guess is 4motion and a manual will be mutually exclusive. Can't remember - was 4motion and a manual ever available on the Passat? Quirky as it was, wasn't there a 6-speed manual available on the W8 model?

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

On another topic, I'm intrigued by the new Civic concept that was just unveiled. Considering all the significant improvements Honda made to the current model for 2013 and 2014, I'm surprised they cut the traditional 5-year life of the model by a year.

With the Accord receiving so much praise, perhaps they're anxious to return the Civic to the top of the heap as well.

Hatchback version to join the US lineup, including a Type-R? Welcome back Honda!

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    I know there have been a few posts made before about SiriusXM and getting a discounted rate. I’m not sure whether those posts were made in CCBA or in Buying & Selling, but I thought I would post this here.

SiriusXM sent me an email back in January saying that my subscription in the F150 would expire on April 2, and automatically renew on that date. I remember thinking they did it so early (3 months in advance) hoping I would forget to call and negotiate. And sure enough, I did forget. The charge showed up on my AMEX account around mid-day today ($215.04), and I immediately called and told them to cancel and refund the charge. It took about 30 minutes (mostly on hold), but they have now issued a refund to my AMEX of $106.58, lowering the cost from $215.04 to $108.46.

I really don’t like their business model. The words “sneaky” and “underhanded” come to mind. They will not sign you up unless you agree to an “auto renewal”, and then they do their absolute level best to screw you on that renewal.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    breld said:

I like the new Alltrak. But I was thinking - a fully loaded TDI wagon is gonna MSRP in the low-$30k's. So, add 4motion and the cosmetic treatments (cladding, raised height, etc.), and this will easily be a mid-$30k's wagon, right?

Wow; really? I was thinking closer to $30K pretty much decked out. I'm not sure that there is enough room in those things to warrant paying such a pricing premium beyond that.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,732
    I'm the opposite re: Sirius/XM. I never activated my free 90 days after I bought the Jag. Just plum forgot about it. I wonder if that's still an option?

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

You can tell them you do not wa
    henryn said:

I know there have been a few posts made before about SiriusXM and getting a discounted rate. I’m not sure whether those posts were made in CCBA or in Buying & Selling, but I thought I would post this here.

SiriusXM sent me an email back in January saying that my subscription in the F150 would expire on April 2, and automatically renew on that date. I remember thinking they did it so early (3 months in advance) hoping I would forget to call and negotiate. And sure enough, I did forget. The charge showed up on my AMEX account around mid-day today ($215.04), and I immediately called and told them to cancel and refund the charge. It took about 30 minutes (mostly on hold), but they have now issued a refund to my AMEX of $106.58, lowering the cost from $215.04 to $108.46.

I really don’t like their business model. The words “sneaky” and “underhanded” come to mind. They will not sign you up unless you agree to an “auto renewal”, and then they do their absolute level best to screw you on that renewal.

You can tell them you don't want auto renewal, but to be mailed a paper statement (which the charge $2 or $3 for). I bought a lifetime subscription for my Prelude back in 2005. I don't like their business practices or customer service department either. I just got a mailer the other day asking me to turn it back on in the Pilot at a rate of $20 for 5 months. I shredded it.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    Sold my house! Who wants a pony? (Or a pony car...)
    I got the same $20 mailer today, to reactivate a turned off unit. Not sure if it is a car I sold, or a portable that I took out of a different car. My daughter was asking for it for her Volvo for trips from school. but no point now, since I won't see the car again for 6 weeks, and she won't need it in the summer. I told her to just burn the data and use Pandora.

maybe in late august if they make the offer again, I will dig a portable out and give it a try. 5 months would cover fall term trips back and forth.

Corvette, good news. We just sold my Dad's house this week (closed on Tuesday). Went really quick. Shocked the heck out of me, given the condition. But, location, location, location.

edited April 2015
    Thanks, stickguy. Congrats on selling your dad's house, as well. Unfortunately, my old place was out in the sticks. Took about four months to sell, but it wasn't mispriced (sold very close to listing price)... Common for the area. Buyer's bank was terrible and it took two months to close.

Here in the big city, I missed out on several newly-listed houses because they were already under contract by the time I was ready to make an offer. Looked at quite a few real duds--I could write an article about the DIY disaster I saw in Crescent Hill last weekend. Saw a lot which were insanely expensive and still had very large maintenance/repair needs. Finally found one which has a few needs but wasn't awful or overpriced and had to offer over the asking price to make a competitive offer.

Don't worry, I have already assured the dog I am buying her a house with a fully fenced back yard.
    When I finally get to move, I would really like to be able to build exactly what I want. Not sure if that will work out or not. Depends on where (helps to be an affordable area, where you can get a lot easily), and what the logistics will be. If we just move because we want to, can do it at our leisure. If a job change pops up, may not have the time.

Based on my experience with having our current house built my theory is if you want to build your dream house build another house first so you'll see all the ways you can goof it up.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    A couple we knew built something like 5 new houses over the years and said with each one they would have done something different in retrospect. And of course there are all those last minute crisis like those cabinets are no longer available and you've got 24 hours to pick something else.
    edited April 2015
    Yeah, totally agreed fezo! We're *still* building our first house, and we see all sorts of things we'll do differently for the next one. If we ever finish it and/or ever sell it, the buyers will get one heck of a place, though. Unlike most places built, we're building ours like we actually want to live comfortably in it. That's just a *teensy* piece of the formula missing from nearly every contractor-built house in the country. :@

Oh, and congrats to both Corvette and Michael on your recent sales!
    edited April 2015
    It's never too soon to be thinking about one's next car ... is it?

Wife thinks I should continue to lease when the E-GT lease is up in November 2016. So, this got me to thinking ... what to get?

While I've never had an AWD as my daily driver, perhaps this may be the time to make the plunge, what with all the new baby CUV's coming onto the market.

I'm still on a budget, though I'm pretty sure I'll spend more than the $231/mo I'm paying on the Elantra. I don't need a lot in the way of features - just AWD, Bluetooth, USB, heated seats, power windows/locks/mirrors. While I'd like push-button start, I'm not sure there will be a lot of cars that offer it in my price range.

So, the list of candidates that I'll probably evaluate, in no particular order:

Chevrolet Trax
    Subaru Impreza
    Hyundai Tuscon
    Mitsubishi Outlander Sport
    Mazda CX-3
    Honda HR-V
    Nissan Juke

Am I missing any?

As always, comments and dissenting opinions welcome, though not necessarily listened to. :smile:

And, with 19 months left, I could change direction several times between now and then ... and probably will.

EDIT - Jeep Renegade

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2015
    I think you've checked out the Soul before @Michaell but I'd love to hear your opinions (again?) on it when you start hit dealer lots in earnest.

If everything pans out, a good friend of ours will be moving here in a couple of months and I'll have access to her Cruze. That'll ease some of my anxiety over having just one high mileage rig in the garage. Don't really have any good friends here yet that I'd feel comfortable trying to borrow a car from. So if ours needs a tow, we'd do a car rental for a week or so.
    stever said:

I think you've checked out the Soul before @Michaell but I'd love to hear your opinions (again?) on it when you start hit dealer lots in earnest.

If everything pans out, a good friend of ours will be moving here in a couple of months and I'll have access to her Cruze. That'll ease some of my anxiety over having just one high mileage rig in the garage. Don't really have any good friends here yet that I'd feel comfortable trying to borrow a car from. So if ours needs a tow, we'd do a car rental for a week or so.

I've looked at the Soul, but the lack of AWD means it's just another hatchback, although with a bit of extra personality in the styling and features.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

@michaell - that's a good list you have going. That segment is pretty interesting will all the new entrants. I would imagine the Honda and Mazda will be hard to beat.

Or, just do a Golf R.

breld said:

@michaell - that's a good list you have going. That segment is pretty interesting will all the new entrants. I would imagine the Honda and Mazda will be hard to beat.

Or, just do a Golf R.

Just got this month's C&D with a review of the Golf R - they prefer the GTI.

I did take a look at the Honda website - the HR-V is a pretty good looking vehicle, IMO. I'll take a close look at the CX-3 when it's released.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    breld said:

On another topic, I'm intrigued by the new Civic concept that was just unveiled. Considering all the significant improvements Honda made to the current model for 2013 and 2014, I'm surprised they cut the traditional 5-year life of the model by a year.

With the Accord receiving so much praise, perhaps they're anxious to return the Civic to the top of the heap as well.

Hatchback version to join the US lineup, including a Type-R? Welcome back Honda!

That will make three(hopefully) 300+ hp hot hatches coming in 2016:

Civic Type R
    Focus RS
    Mazdaspeed 3(if rumors are to be believed)

I hope the Mazdaspeed pans out- I already have an excellent dealer. Ford? Sketchy in my neck of the woods. Honda? We'll see, but I'd prefer AWD.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I hope the Mazdaspeed pans out- I already have an excellent dealer. Ford? Sketchy in my neck of the woods.

The excellent Mazda dealer is in Cincy, right? Funny that Ford is sketchy with two assembly plants here and thousands of people eligible for the A-plan.

A similar thing happened with GM. Legend has it that the Chevy dealer in Bowling Green really annoyed a lot of GM's plant employees. When they decided to begin offering delivery of new Corvettes at the Corvette Museum, those vehicles were trucked to another dealer for dealer prep and then hauled back to Bowling Green for delivery. Of course, there is no free lunch. The dealer which used to do the dealer prep got axed as part of the bankruptcy.
    Michael, good list. I liked the looks of the CX-3. Also just got a teaser about the next Tuscan coming out. Probably will be nice. and bigger.

breld said:

I like the sound of Turbo, VTEC, & Direct Injection all in the same motor;). Although I'm sure the Type R will be in the low to mid $30s. That could pull me out of my "must ave AWD" if the Si is priced right.

stickguy said:
    Michael, good list. I liked the looks of the CX-3. Also just got a teaser about the next Tuscan coming out. Probably will be nice. and bigger.
    Denver auto show is next weekend. I'll get a chance to see them up close and personal I hope. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    For the first time in years we finally have 2 vehicles that we really, really like. When our kids were growing up at least one if not both was always a compromise. We both love the Accord and the Encore is a truly nice vehicle to own and drive. Neither of them were expensive and yet they both feel more expensive than they are. I have generally owned Nissans, Hondas and Mazdas so Buick is new to me. It's been a learning experience figuring out the controls (this is the first car I've had where you turn the wiper stalk up instead of down, for example), but there are some decisions I really like. I wish the Accord had cross traffic alert, and the Encore's rear camera seems to be better placed so as not to get covered in grime. I like both systems' technology ergonomics in different ways. The Accord has a touch screen where the Encore's screen is activated by a rotary knob. I wish the phone and cruise buttons weren't on opposite sides of the steering wheel in each vehicle. I have to remember which car I'm driving! And they both get great fuel economy and are very quiet. Both have excellent reliability overall so I'm hopeful neither will be money pits. The Accord is our highway cruiser and the Encore is more for around town and the 1-person jaunt to the city (about 50 miles). The Encore was a spur of the moment purchase so time will tell. It is interesting that many of today's retirees are boomers like me who have probably never owned a GM vehicle and never drove large floaty cars. We expect to drive cars that have good handling as well as good quality. So the stereotype of the older driver may need to be changed. We have met today's retirees and they are us!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Is the Buick floaty? I think of most GMs that way but the Regal isn't and the word is the new Malibu will be even less so.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    corvette said:

I hope the Mazdaspeed pans out- I already have an excellent dealer. Ford? Sketchy in my neck of the woods.

The excellent Mazda dealer is in Cincy, right? Funny that Ford is sketchy with two assembly plants here and thousands of people eligible for the A-plan.

A similar thing happened with GM. Legend has it that the Chevy dealer in Bowling Green really annoyed a lot of GM's plant employees. When they decided to begin offering delivery of new Corvettes at the Corvette Museum, those vehicles were trucked to another dealer for dealer prep and then hauled back to Bowling Green for delivery. Of course, there is no free lunch. The dealer which used to do the dealer prep got axed as part of the bankruptcy.
    Yep, Kings Mazda in Cincy. I could deal with the sales side of three Ford dealers, but the service and parts departments are truly abysmal.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

"Is the Buick Floaty". No, not at all. Very solid and feels very sure on the road. 
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Michaell said:

stickguy said:

Denver auto show is next weekend. I'll get a chance to see them up close and personal I hope. 

Hey Michael - with kids' activities next weekend, if my wife and I have any chance of getting to the auto show, it'll probably have to be Wednesday evening.

I know you generally go on the weekends, so we probably won't get to meet up for this year's show (once again).

Maybe we should plan on a lunch next week or the week after to "catch up" and talk about the show.

breld said:
    stickguy said:
    Hey Michael - with kids' activities next weekend, if my wife and I have any chance of getting to the auto show, it'll probably have to be Wednesday evening. I know you generally go on the weekends, so we probably won't get to meet up for this year's show (once again). Maybe we should plan on a lunch next week or the week after to "catch up" and talk about the show.
    This coming week is out - having tile installed in the family room. I'm hoping they are done before the weekend so I can get to the show. 

The week of the 13th will be much better. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Here's one for all the barge fans. Doesn't get bigger than this. I have actually seen this one out and about a few times (well, assuming it is this one, because I can't believe there is a 2nd one like it around here!)

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/4883808097.html

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    That thing must eat gas like a blue whale eats krill.
    just caught the Motorweek segment on best midsize family sedan for 27K. Pretty interesting. makes Bradd and me look like geniuses! They picked the Sonata #1, and from the report, it was a runaway. With the Legacy finishing a solid 2nd. I really like the Legacy. Probably what I should have gotten, and would have if I was buying not leasing.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    I was watching that, too, stick. I thought the more interesting statistic besides the cars themselves was that more folks were leasing in order to keep taking advantage of the latest safety features. 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,082
    stickguy said:

Here's one for all the barge fans. Doesn't get bigger than this. I have actually seen this one out and about a few times (well, assuming it is this one, because I can't believe there is a 2nd one like it around here!)

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/4883808097.html

In 1976, my mother and step-father each bought one of those... only they were coupes... Red and Blue...

That was shortly before the divorce and my step-father's bankruptcy. :s

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    stickguy said:

just caught the Motorweek segment on best midsize family sedan for 27K. Pretty interesting. makes Bradd and me look like geniuses! They picked the Sonata #1, and from the report, it was a runaway. With the Legacy finishing a solid 2nd. I really like the Legacy. Probably what I should have gotten, and would have if I was buying not leasing.

Not that Motor Week is the end-all, be-all, but I thought the most interesting thing was that the new redesigned Camry placed 10th.
    And that their #3 choice, the Mazda 6, was "probably not ideal for families" even though this was billed as the $27k Midsize Family Sedan Challenge". ?????
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere