Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan Hybrid Real World MPG

acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
Lets see what FFH owners are getting in real world MPG compared to EPA. I am in the market for a used one, so very interested in what people are actually seeing in them. Also state your driving type, city, highway, mixed etc.

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I'm going to retitle this discussion to help it attract more users. "
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    Doesn't look like its working :(
    Got to give it a little time for folks who have an interest in the discussion to find it. The new title and categorization will help guide people here from things like Google searches, but it's never instantaneous
  • timothyftimothyf Member Posts: 40
    I'm getting roughly 41.3 mpg April - November, and around 35 mpg December - March when the heat and defroster's blasting and the seat warmer is on. Live outside Chicago.
    Excellent, I am up near Harvard, so that gives me a really good idea of how it does here. I used to have a TCH, and averaged 38 MPG total. Sounds like about what you are getting. Good to know. I am searching for a used one, hopefully I can find one I like without too many miles, the closest I came was with 60K on the clock, a bit high than I am comfortable with. I will be getting rid of my Fusion Sport with 41K on it, if the right one comes along, if not, then I will just keep driving the Sport, and find where to cut costs elsewhere. Maybe cut back on clothes for the kids, or food. J/K :shades:
  • greenengineergreenengineer Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 and agerage 45 mpg year round. But I do average 46 mpg from march to november and 38-42 mpg during dec thru feb. I live in Connecticut and have a 20 mile commute each way to work. I drive the speed limit on the highway and 5-10 mph above the speed limit around town. I find that if you avoid jack rabbit starts and brake with moderate pressure you optimize mpg. (Braking with moderate pressure optimizes energy recovered). I'm not a huge air conditioning person.....i like the fresh air and breeze when I drive, except at highway speeds then I'll use the AC. As an engineer, I'm awed at the efficiency of this car. Not only is this the best car I've owned, but the best product.
    Well I have had one for 2 days now. So far I am seeing 38 MPG between my 100 mile round trip. To work is just under 38 at 37.9, and from work 41.3. Uphill to down hill from. This will improve as I get my P&G foot back, haven't driven hybrid for 2 years now.

The car however is nice, since I traded a Sport for this, I am already familiar with the car, difference being the power from the 3.5 V6, and the firmer ride and cornering with the wider tires and stiffer suspension of the Sport.

I got a 2010 that had 850 miles on it, is still smells like a new car. There was an issue between my selling dealer and the dealer he got the car from, they told him it was fully loaded 502a, but it turned out to be a 501a with Nav. They are making up for it though by installing leather heated seats for me.

It will just take a while for me to get used to this car, I really liked the Sport, but the gas costs were wiping us out. Going to miss that car a lot, but like money in the bank a lot more.
  • kd7oqckd7oqc Member Posts: 8
    21000 miles on the car. We're consistently getting about 35.6 mpg regardless of whether we are in the city or on the highway. We've been using the "leaf" efficiency monitor to try to trick the best mileage out of the car, but the best we have achieved was 37.95 mpg. I was expecting to average 40 mpg. In our japanese cars and volkswagen, we've always gotten 2 to 3 mpg better than EPA averages. For comparison I'm averaging 34.4 mpg in mixed driving going to and from work in my VW GTI, which is rated at 32 highway.

This is our 3rd Ford in the past 5 years (07 4 cyl Fusion, 08 Sable), and while the build quality approximates that of the nicer japanese family cars while new, all of them have performed below the EPA average. If I had it to over again, I'd buy a 4cyl Altima or Camry, save the $6k+ and live with real world fuel economy of 30-33 mpg+.
    Since the day I got it I got consistent 38-43 MPG in it, but this past week the MPG dropped dramatically, by 4-8 MPG. It has been a bit cooler out, but not cold enough to effect the MPG. The Camry was never impacted like this until it got below freezing, and the ICE had to run longer.

Well today during a trip on the tollway, coming down a bridge, at idle, when I reach the bottom and had to resume throttle, the car bucked, acted as if the brakes were engaged, and couldn't make up its mind whether to stop or go, then finally got going. After that it seemed to run OK, then after a while I had stopped to get something to eat, got back in the car, turned it on while I ate and then the engine came on after a few minutes, then shut off and the check engine light came on. Car was still running, so I drove to my office, then picked up the wife, called the dealer, made an appointment, light was still on after 1 more ignition cycle, stopped to fill up the tank, started up again and light went off. I still dropped it off, something just doesn't feel right with the car.

One thing that has me wondering is why I never get a full charge on the battery, best so far was maybe 3/4 full, never has it seen the top of the meter. The Camry and Prius would fully charge at over 55 MPH. The Fusion doesn't. I could go several miles on EV in the Camry and Prius, but get maybe 1 mile before I'm on gas in the Fusion.
  • rahenigerahenige Member Posts: 7
    My experience is that mileage is dependent on temperature. My 2011 FFH has averaged 37.1 mpg over the last 12 months primarily commuting, approximately 17 miles each way. Best average for one tank was 43.6 mpg in July and worst average was 27.9 mpg in January. This was in the Boston area.
    I have over 9300 miles on it so far and its at 34 MPG. Short trips around work I get good MPG, but my daily drive to and from work are killing the MPG. I know where it happens too, near my In-laws house where there are a lot of hills and stops and turns. Once I get past there the MPG improves.

The car is breaking in, I am starting to see an improvement in economy, and it is running better too.

I need to replace the tires though, HORRIBLE traction in wet, slick, frosty roads. It is supposed to snow tomorrow, which means the car stays home, I am not going to risk trying to drive it in snow. I have to say, the stability control sure does kick in when needed. There is one part in the road where it is an S curve, which we have been able to take in the Sport at 55 MPH no issues, and the Hybrid has slid through it at 45 a couple times with the TC kicking in to correct the slide.
  • rahenigerahenige Member Posts: 7
    Tires for hybrids are generally optimized for low rolling resistance, which I suppose translates to lower traction.

I agree that hills can be a problem since the gas engine is required to get up the hill, and the 2nd law of thermodynamics tells us that the battery can't recover all of the energy used to get up the hill when the car is coasting back down the hill.

My approach with stops is to take my foot off the accelerator as soon as I see a red light or notice traffic slowing down. Then, accelerate moderately (~2,000rpm) back up to cruise speed and back off the accelerator pedal slightly. This allows the electric motor to propel the car on relatively level roads up to about 45mph.
    Yep, I do the same thing. There aren't many 45 MPH roads though around me, all 55 MPH, but rural roads with stop signs every few miles. Strange how all the north/south roads have stop signs, but east/west don't. Guess which ones I travel the most on.
  • kd7oqckd7oqc Member Posts: 8
    2011 Fusion Hybrid - 25k miles

33 Hwy - (actual mileage. The trip computer shows 1.7 to 2.3 mpg better mileage)
    35 City

You cannot drive this car easy enough to get the EPA rated mileage. We do the "maximum leaf" game, but it just isn't working out as we hoped. Sure it is larger than most cars that get 35 MPG, but it is also a $30k car. I just don't see how this will ever make economic sense.

On a recent 250 mile round trip, I was surprised to see the trip computer reading as low as 30.8 mpg. We were driving with the cruise set to 65 mph on an uncongested freeway, early on a Saturday morning. After getting home, driving around town brought the actual mileage up to 33 mpg by the time we refilled the tank.

The last several tanks of mostly city driving have averaged between 34.5 and 35.5.

We've got 25k miles on the car, I wonder if the NiMH batteries aren't holding a charge as well as new, because our mileage is getting consistently worse. We use Chevron Premium fuel, and change the oil every 5k with Motorcraft 5w20, and a Ford filter.
    We use Chevron Premium fuel,

This could be part of your problem. The car isn't designed to run on premium gas. Premium burns at a slower rate, and is for higher compression engines, so if the engine isn't designed for it, you will actually get lower fuel efficiency.
    IOW you are wasting money by putting premium gas in the car. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, the car doesn't need it.

Stick with 87 octane for the Hybrid.

I have found the cruise control doesn't give you better MPG, it actually hurts it. I stopped using it and focus mostly on trying to maintain the speed with the lightest of pedal as possible. I can see 45 MPG sometimes when I can maintain a nice 40-45 MPH run.

The car can only give you what you want to get out of it when you drive it properly. Hybrids are not as easy to get good MPG out of as one would think. You have to learn the techniques to do so, or you wind up getting results like you are getting. Do a google on Pulse and Glide, and Forced Engine Off driving techniques. They are simple methods, but a PITA to learn correctly to get what the car can give you.

One other thing to mention, the highway MPG is going to be lower than city MPG, unless you draft, but that is not recommended. For the most part, highway MPG will be about the same as that on the 4cyl version Fusion.

I have about 60k miles on Hybrids, starting with the Prius, which I have seen as high as 65 MPG on the highway with, and the Camry Hybrid which I was getting 35 MPG pretty consistently. Right now winter MPG is 34.4 in it mainly due to it just breaking in, but I am starting to see it going up now that it has passed the 10K mark. Somedays on the same roads I can see 40 MPG, others 34 MPG, depends on the temperature, and other drivers, and just how much of a hurry I am in.

If I drive it like a normal car though, I'm lucky if I see 32 MPG.
  • anabelanabel Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid with 43,000 miles. I love this car. And it is so fun to drive.

All those things aside, I believe I get in tune with my vehicles way too much and I don't know if that is a good thing or bad thing. Because this vehicle has been the first fuel efficient car we have ever had, I have been watching the MPG rather closely. Hoping to come close to what EPA says. I have always driven my vehicles like you are told to drive this hybrid. Try to coast and light on the gas pedal and stop slowly and never jack rabbit. Those things help save gas on normal cars that are not hybrid. So I am more than accustomed to that type of driving.

Now, I live in Lakeway Texas and the hills out here are pretty good. Climbing up and around them everyday. I would understand the MPG's would suffer a bit. I have been driving this car for three months now. Got it used. My MPG's were very stable at about 35.4. Even on long trips straight highway driving. Maybe it would finally creep up to just over 36 MPG. So for us, I would expect we would get better MPG's on long road trips than where we live because of the hills.

This weekend we went to San Antonio and spent the night there. In the morning when I went to start it and drive all was fine, but on our way to our destination, the MPG's dropped. It ended up at 27 mpg at the lowest and would climb back up slowly (to about 29) to recover then as soon as I hit the gas to get into highway traffic, it falls back down to 27. It is not acting stable in anyway any longer. On the way back home, a one and a half hour drive, it climbed to 37mpg's at one point, which in the past it had never done. Driving along the hills again, I am back down to 34mpg's. I suspect there is a regulator/relay issue, but I called Ford to ask them if there was something I was doing wrong. He told me that indeed there seems to be a relay issue, but to not worry about it. The gas meter is also showing the effect of the MPG's. Has anyone seen anything like this, and should I not worry about it? I don't want to trust Ford. Maybe they just want me to run out of warranty. What are your thoughts?
  • pootlepootle Member Posts: 6
    Hi all - apologies for posting the same message twice. I'm really upset and hoping to find some good advice. Anyway, here goes:

I just bought a '10 FFH. My measured consumption for the first tankful was 22.5mpg :mad: This is crazy, yes? Granted, most of my driving over the 420km / 260m was on freeways with the cruise control set at 130kph/80mph or a little more, although some of it was careful in-town driving. I know hybrid efficiencies aren't really operating at those speeds, but I would still have expected better from a reasonably aerodynamic vehicle with an allegedly super-efficient engine. Most people seem to get low 30s under similar conditions. One thing that worries me and might be relevant is the frequent appearance of the little yellow wrench symbol during high-speed cruising. Obviously, I'm going to get it checked out ASAP, but I still wonder if anyone has any thoughts about this fuel consumption.
  • anabelanabel Member Posts: 21
    My 2cents worth, I don't believe this type of vehicle is gonna do any good going that fast. It's a 4 cylinder. It will be working extra hard. Just my thoughts on that part of ur driving. Also the cruise contol uses more gas if used than would your foot by driving yourself. Just my thoughts. I haven't noticed to much lose on mps's going that fast cause I usually don't drive more than 80 and usually not for any extended period of time. I did notice the very small engine working very hard and I backed off. Good luck!
  • wilcoxwilcox Member Posts: 582
    Well , your reward should be low mileage and some tickets for speeding. I'd but you are one of those people who drive as fast as you can to the next redlight in town too.

We're averaging overall 38 mpg's coming out of winter and one month into Spring. I expect to average 41 mpg in a couple of months...just like last year.
    Ahhh - the self-righteous flame. I should have expected one, I suppose. No, I never drive like that in town and despise people who do. I only cruise fast on freeways when conditions allow it, which, fortunately, is most of the time. Modern freeways were designed specifically for safe high-speed cruising and the very low speed limits are largely hangovers from oil crisis days. In any case, they are typically ignored. On the freeways I usually use, in Ontario and northern NY, the usual cruising speed is around 120kph/75mph, so 130kph/81mph is not dramatically faster and the speed differential, the really important safety factor, between myself and most other cars is only 10kph/6mph.
    Let's stick to the mileage and avoid the personal conflicts please.
    Second that.
    edited December 2012
    So far my MPG is rock solid right in the range, 36-41. During the Summer it finally broke its cherry and started getting really good FE, up to 43 MPG for a long time, and now that the cold is back its in the 37-39 range again. I never drive it over 70, wastes gas if I do, but if I can get it in a grove doing 65, I can easily crack 50 MPG in it. I surprised myself one day and got 50.2 over a 65 mile trip.

I also have a 2013 FFH, and sadly the old 2010 gets better MPG than the new one, by at least 2 MPG. Not too thrilled with the new one right now.
  • mb013962mb013962 Member Posts: 6
    That's weird because consumer reports got 25mpg city 40hwy 34combined in the 1st gen fusion hybrid but 35city 41hwy 39combined in the new one
  • podpod Member Posts: 176
    I have a 2010 MilanI4 (2.5L) automatic and have consistently recorded 31-33 mpg average (measured miles/ measured gallons) in mixed driving which only include 5-10% stop and go city but does include 60% residential (non-highway) driving. On the highway I estimate that I get about 36-37 mpg going 67 mph in mostly flat terrain (the computer says 37-39).
    I am not a hypermiler or slow driver but I am a realtively slow accelerater. From a light it may take me 8-10 secs to get up to 50-55 mph residential traffic which does not seem to bother the traffic patterns at all (people are not tailgating me and swearing at me). The car cost $18.8 new and I have put only 29,000 miles on it.
    It is a great handling, tight, quiet car. The only maintenance has been oil filter and oil change and tire rotation every 5000 miles ( a package at local ford dealer for $30 per service). I changed the air filter at 15,000.
    If economy is the principal reason that you are considering a hybrid, consider how many years or miles it would take to "pay off" the difference between a new hybrid and an outgoing 2012 fusion 4 cylinder ICE model without the (mainly unnecesary even stupid gismoes) say in the trim level just above base trim. Yes the 2013 looks different (better to most; meh to others) but how much is a pretty face worth? Going hybrid requires many many city miles to get pay back on the purchase price difference.
    My conclusion is that city driver who see lots of stop and go are the major beneficiaries of hybrids. Other drivers are unlikey to see a cost benefit for many many years if ever. There is no ICE that does well in stop and go traffic even with the newer stop/start technology which is obtrusive in its early execution.
    Fortunately the lower trim Fusions have all engineering excellence of the gussied up models and handle as well. In fact, I would not even consider buying a car with screens that need to be read and that would take my eyes off the road. Never. Ever. I expect that in time the NHTSB will ban such screens after they are proven to cause accidents. If economy is your aim consider the lower trim Fusion 2012s which are nicely incentivized and getting better all the time as they are fewer left on the lots.
  • ruralvoiceruralvoice Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    I have had my hybrid for about one and a half years now, and am quite satisfied with the mileage and performance. Year round, my long term mileage is 42.9 MPG and the short term is about 43.0. I do drive hybrid style to get that mileage as that was the purpose in me getting the car. I wanted to save money on gasoline. I don't drive fast, probably about 60MPH and ensure I am in the right lane so as to not block folks. In the city I drive about 47MPH, and do very well. I am cognizant of the energy saved up during breaking and try to ensure I use it to my advantage.

I have tested both 87 and 93 octane in the tank, and 93 does give very slightly better mileage, but almost imperceptible. We have a gas station in town that has gasoline with no ethanol, and that does provide a noticeable, but small, improvement in mileage (but it is not always convenient to go there to fill up). I would use that gas all the time if I was close to the station.

All on all this is one of the best vehicles I have ever had, so far.
  • caazcaaz Member Posts: 209
    There's a lot of talk about how and when one breaks even after purchasing your car. Ever considered doing what I do?. I always buy slightly used. Sometimes up to 3 yrs. old. right now I'm purchasing a 2012 FFH for 12,999.00 with 65k miles on it. right from the start ill already be ahead. getting close to 40 mpgs. could drive it another 50 k miles and sell it for what I paid for it. This might excite or interest most of you. as I was searching for my car I saw one for sale, a 2010 FFH for $5,500.00 I thought wait a minute.. that's a steal. so I called the person and we chatted for a while. He said it was their companies car and everybody used it in the co. it had 355,000 miles on it.. LOL... Hence the price of 5,500.00
    Now the interesting part. I asked about the Battery... they said it was the original still and hadn't been replaced. That's remarkable to know... and VERY reassuring that our FFH batteries will do at least 350k miles without replacing.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    Just picked up a Loaded 2015 Fusion Hybrid SE in Ruby Red with black leather. Gorgeous car. Got a fantastic deal and even a great deal on my trade. Only got it yesterday. After 127 miles on the first tank I have an average of 41.7 mpg according to the car's computer which I know could be slightly off. I noticed today on a leg of 11.7 miles it said I got over 50 mpg. I know it's too early to judge the car's mileage, but if it's any indication of what might be expected, I am going to absolutely love the car. I have to say the My Ford Touch has a bit of a learning curve, but I think in a few days I will be comfortable with it.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
    After 267 miles I am averaging 42.6 miles per gallon. This car is unbelievable. Plenty of power when you need it. I have always bought cars with power. V8 and V6 at the minimum. After thinking I would never get caught dead in a Hybrid especially if it has to look like a Prius, Ford comes along and builds a beautiful looking car with a great engine. A seamless CVT, Great Ride, and the interior is so quiet on the road. So much luxury packed into a car that listed just under $33K and out the door under $30K. About the best car I have owned in my 59 years.
    That's a nice mileage number! Keep us posted on your ongoing experience.
    I have driven 1000 miles on my new Fusion after 2 1/2 weeks of ownership. Filled up for the second time yesterday. Drove 486.1 miles since last fill up and put 11.382 gallons in it. 486.1/11.382 = 42.71 MPG. :) This is in mixed driving. The Car's computer read 43.4 MPG so not off by much. So far this has been a great car in that regard and just an all around great car to drive. Of course, I know I probably am driving it in the optimum season for fuel effeciency due to it not being too hot or cold. Also I realize that the summer blend of gas probably helps. Hopefully I will feel the same about it next winter.
    Not much participation in this thread, but I thought I would give an update on my MPG.Today marks exactly 4 weeks ago this evening I picked up my new Fusion. 1439 miles on it now. Filled up and got 41.27 MPG. Car's computer read 42 exactly. I attribute my slightly lower MPG to the fact that daily it has been anywhere from 29 to 33 degrees when I started my day. Also very windy last week. One day we had steady winds at 30 mph with gusts to 50 mph. A couple of other days winds were 20 to 30 mph. The day of the highest winds I drove to several towns in open country running 60 to 72 mph. Not a great deal of trees to break the wind because it's in farm country and central Ohio is very flat. So I am ecstatic so far in the performance of this car.
    Nice numbers! Doesn't sound like you're trying to squeeze every last mile out of it, just taking it as it comes with your everyday driving.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    mtnman1 said:

Not much participation in this thread, but I thought I would give an update on my MPG.Today marks exactly 4 weeks ago this evening I picked up my new Fusion. 1439 miles on it now. Filled up and got 41.27 MPG. Car's computer read 42 exactly. I attribute my slightly lower MPG to the fact that daily it has been anywhere from 29 to 33 degrees when I started my day. Also very windy last week. One day we had steady winds at 30 mph with gusts to 50 mph. A couple of other days winds were 20 to 30 mph. The day of the highest winds I drove to several towns in open country running 60 to 72 mph. Not a great deal of trees to break the wind because it's in farm country and central Ohio is very flat. So I am ecstatic so far in the performance of this car.

You know your mileage calculations are so close to the car computer I would wager the computer is correct. I don't think you can precisely fill up and measure fuel used tankful to tankful. A difference of a quarter gallon on a fuel efficient car can make a measurable difference.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

I'd call it within "margin of error" :)

I always use my mileage calculations as a barometer of the general health of my vehicle. Any sudden notable change gets my attention. If the next tank is still low (assuming I didn't short fill TWICE) then I get into "what's going on?" mode
    Had a disappointing experience on the latest tank of gas. My Car computer was way off. The computer read 43.9 MPG and my actual was 39.52 MPG. My last 3 fill ups were so close to what the car computer read and were all 43 MPG and better with my calculation. I can't figure out what would explain the drastic discrepancy when it had been so close. I am concerned that it would be so off. Also, had a difficult time removing the pump from the capless fuel opening. Had to use two hands and pull hard until it released it suddenly. I almost fell backwards when it released.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,306
    I don't have a hybrid, but I do have a couple of 2 year old Fords. Sometimes the computer is pretty far off.
    I think the fuel mileage computer gives too much credit for being off the gas, when the fuel is shut off while coasting. Just my opinion.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

I don't have a hybrid, but I do have a couple of 2 year old Fords. Sometimes the computer is pretty far off.
    I think the fuel mileage computer gives too much credit for being off the gas, when the fuel is shut off while coasting. Just my opinion.

Always need to check the accuracy of the computers against actually doing the calculation.
    It helps to check the odometer calibration, too. My Fusion measures 2% under. I've measured it for stretches of up to 50 miles.
    Tire circumference can be an issue with that
    I am now at approximately 4000 miles on my Fusion Hybrid SE. Suddenly the last 4 fill ups my Car's computer has been reading 4 Mpg better than when I use a calculator. Unfortunately it has been reading 43, but I am actually only getting 39 mpg. The 5th tank back read 43, but I got 47 mpg when using a calculator. I am really disappointed because the first 4 or 5 fill ups I got around 42 to 44 mpg per fill up which was within about 1 to 1.5 mpg of what the car said I achieved. I have called my Salesman and he said I should bring it in so they can look at it. It's pretty useless to monitor my driving by seeing what each stop and start trip is by using the car's numbers. For instance I drove 18 miles on one trip yesterday and it said I got 50.7 mpg. Pretty useless information if it isn't accurate. Wouldn't trouble me so much is the computer was within a mile or so even with the reduced Mpg. It's been very hot and unbearably humid the last few weeks and my A/C has been running hard, so the reduced mileage could be attributed to that I guess.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,707
    18 miles was pretty short. I get 50 mpg going to work, 36 coming back (uphill). Only do these comparisons on full tanks.
    edited June 2015
    texases said:

18 miles was pretty short. I get 50 mpg going to work, 36 coming back (uphill). Only do these comparisons on full tanks.

Maybe you're misunderstanding me. I only calculate actual mileage when I get a complete fill up. What I am saying is on the hybrid it gives you a read out of each time you start the engine until you turn the engine off. It is a way for the driver to get an idea how they are driving gas mileage wise. I look at it whether I complete a 15 mile drive in rush hour on the expressway to going 46 miles driving 73 mph on the open road. I should be able to gauge my driving habits and how it is affecting my Mpg. The problem is now I don't know if the single trip read outs are accurate or just like my entire tank read out it is off by 4 mpg. It has totally rendered that function useless. It is one of reasons I liked the Hybrid. I feel like I have been ripped off in a way. I paid for something that doesn't function the way it should. I have never had a car that read 4 mpg off the actual versus the car's computer. This is my third Ford in the last 11 years and the other two, a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer AWD V8 and a 2009 Ford Fusion Sel V6, read within one or 2 miles of actual. The Fusion was generally within 1.5 mpg.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,707
    I understand. That variability is more likely due to traffic, temperature, tire pressure, and gas composition (whether or not it has the 10% ethanol, that can vary). I doubt (but don't know) that there's a problem in the computer, it's using standard engine outputs to calculate the mpgs.
    There was some kind of indicator of how efficiently you are driving in the previous version. Maybe you can check some hybrid boards for people that have more experience with the model you have.
    My fill up yesterday I got 43.51 mpg. Car's computer read 43.6. I think my mileage improved because it has been cloudy, rainy and maybe 80 degrees max each day. Even though I still used the AC. During the lower mpg results it was very hot and very humid, 85 to 90 with 60 to 65% relative humidity. Though the humidity had been high on this last tank. Car Computer makes no sense. Seems that this car does not do well when it is very hot. Of course, that would be logical as the AC has to work harder. I have found that if I just add the miles driven since last fill up and the miles remaining both according to the Car's Computer and divide by the fuel tank capacity of 13.5 the mpg at fill up is almost dead on. Seems that the Car's computer for Average Mpg for the tank would somehow be gauged to those numbers. But what do I know.
    Ah... you need to divide the actual miles driven by the actual number of gallons you pump and not the tank capacity to get an accurate number.

The computers are nice as a gauge of how things are going, and are generally pretty accurate, but when you want to calculate your mileage, you need to start with actual numbers
    PF_Flyer said:

Ah... you need to divide the actual miles driven by the actual number of gallons you pump and not the tank capacity to get an accurate number.

The computers are nice as a gauge of how things are going, and are generally pretty accurate, but when you want to calculate your mileage, you need to start with actual numbers

Which I have been doing for years. I was just making an observation about using the tanks capacity. I have been using it in between fiil ups to give me a more accurate idea of what my fuel efficiency is. It just seems, so far, to be right on the true number for some reason.

Anyway i have decided to give up worrying about that so much and just calculating at fill up only. My Wife and I are in Pittsburgh visiting our families this weekend and I enjoyed the superior ride and how quiet the cabin is on the 3 hour drive over here compared to most of the competitions mid size sedans.
    Ah, OK... an estimate. That's another matter B)

The on-board computers, at least the one on my 2015 Versa Note, seem to be fairly accurate. We don't really look at the instantaneous mileage number. While that's interesting, it really isn't that useful to me. The average mileage seems to be right on the number. If it's more than a tenth off, that would be a lot.
    edited July 2015
    Still getting some wild fluctuations in MPG numbers. On 6/29/15 put 446.8 miles on a tank and filled with 10.27 gallons giving me an actual 43.5 MPG. On 7/2/15 I drove only 225.4 miles because I received an alert that gas was to increase 30 cents per gallon that day from GasBuddy.com . Put in 6.183 gallons which gave me 36.45 MPG. This next and latest one made me very happy because we took a trip over the July 4th weekend to visit family in the Pittsburgh area. About 75% is expressway with the rest two lane 55 mph speed limits. Drove anywhere from 60 mph in the 55 zones, 70 mph in the 65 zones, and 72 mph in the 70 zones. Many State Troopers out so I had to be careful about my speeds. Drove a grand total of 383.4 miles in which about 360 of those miles were the trip back and forth from Columbus. The Terrain becomes somewhat mountainess about 60 miles towards Pittsburgh. Especially as you reach eastern Ohio, WVA, and Pa. So on July 10 I filled with 9.118 gallons which gave me an average of 42.05 MPG. Car read 43.6 MPG so it was respectfully close to actual.