Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Fuel Economy Update for March - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2015 in Volkswagen
imageFuel Economy Update for March - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

March was a month of road trips for our 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI, resulting in new bests in range, mpg on a single tank, and lifetime fuel economy.

Read the full story here

Comments

• dvanosdvanos Member Posts: 52
    Not bad, sounds about the same i get for my MK6 on the highway.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    So that 376 mile tank consumed about 11 gallons out of a 13.2 gallon tank, so that record isn't going to stand for long...

Very good performance...I don't think any compact-size cars offer the range of best-performance-to-best-fuel-economy as this GTI and A3. Your LT Focus ST got 33 mpg once in 20k+ miles...this GTI is slightly faster and has already gotten 34.5 mpg and there's still 11k miles to go before you sell it.
  • millemanmilleman Member Posts: 19
    That's great dvanos if you can get 34mpg regularly out of your mk6. My 2010 manual (stock motor) struggles to break its EPA 31mpg if I hypermile it cos 6th gear is way too short for good highway mileage at 75mph = 3000rpm. The Mk7 is geared to the moon and the low-end is pumped up with a lot more boost, but the Mk6 could still improve its gas mileage with a taller 6th gear.
    milleman said:

That's great dvanos if you can get 34mpg regularly out of your mk6. My 2010 manual (stock motor) struggles to break its EPA 31mpg if I hypermile it cos 6th gear is way too short for good highway mileage at 75mph = 3000rpm. The Mk7 is geared to the moon and the low-end is pumped up with a lot more boost, but the Mk6 could still improve its gas mileage with a taller 6th gear.

Actually 3k rpm is 78 mph rather than 75, but you're right - it could use a longer 6th.

• millemanmilleman Member Posts: 19
    Hmmm, are our tachs and/or speedos (or tire sizes) that far off? I'm actually 74@3000 (digital&analog) though I haven't confirmed it by GPS. But I wouldn't expect it to be reading lower than true speed.
    Yep - 78. For your 2010, you might have 17s on it...think those are 45 series...? Might be slightly smaller than 18" 40 series that came on later mk6 cars.
  • veedubber86veedubber86 Member Posts: 57
    That was the one complaint I had about my Mk5. Fuel economy drops off a cliff once you get over about 65-70mph. It's too bad because the car is right at home cruising much faster than that.
    My Mk6 6MT will get 30 mpg at a steady 75 mph...that's actually slightly better than before I added an APR Stage I tune...probably because I leave it on the 93 octane tune, and on that fuel it runs a bit more ignition timing. At 65 mph, it will get 33 mpg.

Now, this LT Mk7 has gotten 31.9 mpg on a trip that averaged 77 mph, so that's quite an improvement. Some is the longer sixth, but there are a lot of new cooling loop refinements in the new engine.
  • ducky10ducky10 Member Posts: 27
    My mark 6 GTI with DSG got 32 mpg on a round trip from Seattle to Atlanta using air con most of the way. And traveling about 10 mph above the posted limit (and including a very quick crossing of Montana)