Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Reconfigurable Instrument Panel - 2015 Volvo S60 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2015 in Volvo
imageReconfigurable Instrument Panel - 2015 Volvo S60 Long-Term Road Test

Our long-term 2015 Volvo S60 has a reconfigurable instrument panel that lets you choose how the gauges look, but of course, there's no pleasing some of our editors.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    Although I love old cars and nice crisp analog gauges, I also love these reconfigurable gauge screens. The one in the Audi TT is brilliant and I'm sure will be copied by many companies.
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    With an automatic equipped car, the tach really isn't that important. I still want one, but if it's a bit small that is not a big deal.

The "power' gauge however is a ridiculous waste of space. I wouldn't even want a boost gauge. Give me useful engine info like oil pressure or temperature.

In the end I'm with you though, Erin. I prefer a classic look: large twin dials for the tach/speedo and 4 smaller ones for fuel, engine temp, ol pressure, and volts.
  • Options
    dm7279dm7279 Member Posts: 63
    If you scroll through the various info screens with the dial on the turn signal stalk, there is one that removes fuel economy, odometer, and other trip computer info and only leaves you with a clock and ambient temperature. This results in a larger tach on the right of the Eco or Elegance modes that you may like better. I'm with you, though, in that I think the performance theme in contrast mode is most tolerable. I also wish there were more options for configuration, like with colors or which trip computer data is on each "page".
  • Options
    legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    1,2,4,6? That really is a useless tach.
    I would just question the incorporation of the center circle on a fully configurable display. I love analog gauges but would rather they left a more open, flat space and then created the circles and other shapes with software. Then they could have an option for two full analog-style gauges for speed and tach at the same time.
  • Options
    pg123456789pg123456789 Member Posts: 11
    While reconfigurable gauges have advantages, I agree that the current run of Volvo gauges are appalling. In a few years time, these cheap looking gauges will look really outdated. I have similar issues with for example the late model S-Class gauges and the current crop of Jaguar and Cadillac with lcd panels (also their regular instrument panels). Classic gauges never go out of style ... ask any Tag Hauer, Breitling, Rolex etc. watch maker. My biggest issue with these gauges is that only performance option looks reasonable (for now), the other options relegate the tacho as an insignificant gauge for a brand that has sporting objectives. A real step backwards unfortunately.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    I love reconfigurable gauges. I think the hooded tach area limits how much you can reconfigure. A full uninterrupted IP screen would be better. I admire those here who pine for analog gauges and manual shifters.
  • Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433

I love reconfigurable gauges. I think the hooded tach area limits how much you can reconfigure. A full uninterrupted IP screen would be better. I admire those here who pine for analog gauges and manual shifters.

+1
    I learned to drive on a manual, but it's obvious that modern automatics and automated manuals are the future. Plus, I drive in too much traffic to enjoy a manual anyway.
  • Options
    saulstersaulster Member Posts: 48
    The "Performance" mode is the only one I use in my 2015.5 S60. I actually like the large tach even though this remains an automatic transmission car. Just my old time driving and used to having the tach, I guess. I like even more the digital number readout for speed, that's quicker IMHO to read and work with than the dial gauge.

Also in Performance mode, the readout / display on the left side of the tach / speedo for the adaptive ( if you have this option as I do ) cruise control is larger than the small indicators on the main dial in the other modes.

But Erin, why do you have the speed sign indicator ( speed limit ) still open in the display? As per previous posts and experience, that is particularly useless and misinformed.