Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Fuel Economy Update for March - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2015 in Ram
imageFuel Economy Update for March - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

With nearly 30,000 miles on the odometer, our long-term 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is still surpassing its combined EPA estimate of 22 miles per gallon.

Read the full story here

Comments

• markinnaples_markinnaples_ Member Posts: 251
    Every post I read about this Dodge makes me want one...
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Recently around Chicago diesel has been equal in price or even less than regular. So the extra 5-6 mpg you get out of this would be very noticeable reduction in fuel expense.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That seems to be the case in parts of California too. Down here in NM, the diesel/regular price differential is the more typical 50 to 60 cents a gallon (in favor of gasoline).
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Its a 55 cent difference here in North GA ($1.98 versus $1.54) which is significant percentage wise. Still doesn't seem to be worth all the hassle to find a Diesel station/pump + DEF fluid + worrying about Diesel maintenance (if you don't go to the dealership) all to get an extra 5 mpg or so. Looks like maybe you don't need to replace spark plugs which is a plus, but not worth bypassing one 100k service item.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863

Its a 55 cent difference here in North GA ($1.98 versus $1.54) which is significant percentage wise. Still doesn't seem to be worth all the hassle to find a Diesel station/pump + DEF fluid + worrying about Diesel maintenance (if you don't go to the dealership) all to get an extra 5 mpg or so. Looks like maybe you don't need to replace spark plugs which is a plus, but not worth bypassing one 100k service item.

Sorry, $2.54 for Diesel not $1.54
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Did I miss the post explaining the outcome of the engine ticking noise? Or is this another case of Edmunds ignoring problems to keep advertisers happy?
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    edited April 2015
    I could be wrong...I don't think they ignore them to keep advertisers happy; they just don't seem to be in chronological order...the entry that mentions the clicking noise was dated 3/31, and the odometer read 28,333 miles at that time. Now, this entry from 4/14 is at odometer reading 28,271 miles.

If there were some compelling reason to post out of chronological order, like in order to set up a particular storyline, etc., I could understand it. But this is just confusing...why hold a post about March fuel economy, especially one that was apparently composed BEFORE March even ended (as evidenced by the odometer readings above), until April 14?

The post about adding DEF? That was on 4/13...with the odometer showing 27,941 miles...so that actually occurred on maybe March 27 or 28...? That was held for over 2 weeks because...who knows?

For the verdict on the clicking noise, they said on March 31 that the vehicle was due for service "soon" (probably @ 30k miles) and they would report on it at that time. And even if they write that post in realtime, when they get the truck back from the dealer, they may not post it in realtime.
  • tlangnesstlangness Member Posts: 123
    Apologies for the confusion readers.

I wrote the fuel economy update based on all the miles driven in the month of March -- publishing date basically has nothing to do with that. There were a few other updates ready to go up before the fuel economy post was written.

We haven't had the clicking noise addressed yet but we'll update as soon as we take it in to the dealer for service. Hopefully that helps clear things up.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Thank you. I guess we're just wondering why the publishing date has nothing to do with when the subject content actually happened. I write for publication too...I don't really see any of the kind of long-form content here that unavoidably pushes out publication dates in my world.