Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2015 BMW M235i Convertible Long-Term Road Test - Introduction

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2015 in BMW
image2015 BMW M235i Convertible Long-Term Road Test - Introduction

Just in time for summer, a new drop-top coupe joins the Edmunds long-term test fleet.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    boffboff Member Posts: 91
    The auto-tragic transmission might be the overwhelming choice of M325i cab buyers, but is it the overwhelming choice of edmunds.com readers who might be interesting in this car? I doubt it. Save The Manuals!
  • Options
    Josh321Josh321 Member Posts: 1
    If the car is based in Santa Monica, why would you spend money on the Cold Weather Package and all those other standalone options but not get the Premium Package???? It's also a little frustrating to see you always testing the most optioned out trim levels of various models instead of ones equipped with the options combinations people are actually more likely to drive. When I review the 3-series inventory at my local dealer, most are 328i with Premium Package, Navigation, and the Driver Assistance package and nothing else. That's what most people are driving.
  • Options
    throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    Wow, that is a ton of money. A new V8 M3 from a few years ago was about 58K. For that much money I would get a 4 series coupe.
  • Options
    DebunkerDebunker Member Posts: 49
    You say: "for more cash, we added" as if you actually paid for this thing. Yet at the bottom of the article, you say the manufacturer lent you the car for purposes of evaluation. Who's kidding whom? You got it for nothing, but they expect you'll be unsparing in your evaluation, right? Maybe yes, maybe no. I'd trust the ongoing review more if you'd actually bought it.
  • Options
    opfreakopfreak Member Posts: 106
    this is a strangely equipped car. probably why the dealer is loaning it. No premium package but everything else?
  • Options
    dvanosdvanos Member Posts: 52
    Josh321 said:

If the car is based in Santa Monica, why would you spend money on the Cold Weather Package and

For the seat heaters!!! Every convertible should have them plus the heat can sooth your back if its sore.

• Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    opfreak said:

this is a strangely equipped car. probably why the dealer is loaning it. No premium package but everything else?

Agree. Within 2 grand of fully-loaded and in the mid-50s, but no keyless nothing, no satellite radio, premium audio, anti-theft alarm? Gee...you sure it has Bluetooth?
  • Options
    ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    As soon as I saw the picture I hoped it was 6MT but I knew it would be 8AT. Sigh..
  • Options
    shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    Is that the standard black roof, or is that the optional moonlight color?
  • Options
    shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    throwback said:

Wow, that is a ton of money. A new V8 M3 from a few years ago was about 58K. For that much money I would get a 4 series coupe.

If a larger car is important to you, sure you could get a 4 series (not optioned as much) for similar money. But if you drive the two back to back, you will quickly see that this is the one that's more fun to drive.

• Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Um... okay. Did you choose this configuration or is it what was given to you? Who the F would buy a near $60k vehicle and get every option EXCEPT for the most important ones: Keyless Entry, Remote Start, Premium Audio, Anti-Theft and auto-high beams. Geez. Glad to see a convertible in the fleet, though.
  • Options
    markinnaples_markinnaples_ Member Posts: 251
    RIDICULOUS amount of money for the "baby" BMW.
  • Options
    cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274
    I get that you received this as a loaner from BMW but come on... the 8 speed slushbox? You oughta be ashamed of yourselves.

And to BMW... nearly $59 grand an NO alarm, NO homelink, and the base, crappy stereo? Dear lord... that's damn near Porsche type pricing.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    And Edmunds takes another sip of the Kool Aid.
  • Options
    thepuffthepuff Member Posts: 87
    Glad to see you got the auto...it's a great tranny and out performs the manual in every way. I know, I actually drove them both and currently own the auto version. It's also a better choice if you commute to and from work daily in stop and go.
  • Options
    hispd4funhispd4fun Member Posts: 4
    Why are there no updates on the 3 GranTurismo?
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    edited April 2015
    Considering it's a loaner, you get what you get.
    Overall, it seems very yesterday, a 335.
    Being an M convertible makes it more strange.
    Kind of like the Mustang GT, really nothing we don't know already.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    laurent_slaurent_s Member Posts: 1
    Hey Guys. Calm down. They got that car, and that's what they'll be reporting on. End of story...
  • Options
    banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    laurent_s said:

Hey Guys. Calm down. They got that car, and that's what they'll be reporting on. End of story...

They can lock the comments then similarly to the "infomercial" articles
  • Options
    chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    edited April 2015
    fordson1 said:

opfreak said:

Agree. Within 2 grand of fully-loaded and in the mid-50s, but no keyless nothing, no satellite radio, premium audio, anti-theft alarm? Gee...you sure it has Bluetooth?
    Typical BMW, nickel-and-diming you left and right. There are cars that are half the price that come with keyless entry and ignition as standard. Just look at Nissan; nearly all of their lineup comes with it either as standard or at a pretty cheap price.

If only Audi offered the S3 convertible over here. That would be a worthy comparison and I'm sure it would be a bit cheaper than the 235. Hell, for that much money, I'd almost just stick with either a 228i or A3 2.0T. They're not as powerful, but they're still plenty quick enough.
  • Options
    lmbvettelmbvette Member Posts: 93
    How in the hell is keyless entry and an alarm not standard on a 56 thousand dollar BMW? Aren't luxury cars supposed to come with gimmicks and doo-dads that non-luxury cars don't have?

Keyless entry and an alarm are standard on a 15 thousand dollar Honda Fit.
    Don't worry about what other people think. Drive what makes you happy.