Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

No Major Issues After 15,000 Miles - 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2015 in Jeep
imageNo Major Issues After 15,000 Miles - 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited Long-Term Road Test

Our 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited just crossed 15,000 miles, with three months to go in our long-term test.

Read the full story here

Comments

• allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    A new car going 15,000 miles with no problems is not news. As a matter of fact any new car better go 15,000 miles with no incidents.
  • peteythegpeteytheg Member Posts: 1
    Well, I agree that a new car should go 15k with no problems. But it is interesting that you have not had the transmission problems that all the auto mags seem to have had with their long-term testers, or that thousands of customers have had.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Wow, this is funny. Would you write an entry about a Honda or Toyota having no "major" issues about 15k? Heck no. Our Pilot has 38k on it and has had ZERO problems. No radio replacements, no warranty claims and there's nothing special about that. Of course, this IS a Jeep, so I guess that means that next owner is going to having all of those issues you haven't experienced yet at 20k and beyond.
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    15K and no major issues? at 15K there should not be any issues.
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    edited April 2015
    It is definitely a statement on the history of a makes reliability when they get the headlines like "No problems!!". I think VW has gotten the same type of headlines on here. Hopefully they are improving quality but it doesn't make me want to run out and buy one yet.
    Wasn't it a jeep years ago on here that made the horrible brake noise when backing up and they said "We can fix it but it isn't a warranty item"? That kind of thing sticks with the brands reputation more than one example of the car not breaking in 15,000 miles.
    I like this car but I tend to keep mine for 10+ years and I don't have the confidence it would be a good buy for that yet.
  • saxdoggsaxdogg Member Posts: 38
    There's a lot of gruff about 15k shouldn't have...blahblah, but for brand new models? Any new car with build problems? There's a possibility for probs with ANY new car and I like hearing about it.
  • stuntman_mikestuntman_mike Member Posts: 57

Wow, this is funny. Would you write an entry about a Honda or Toyota having no "major" issues about 15k? Heck no. Our Pilot has 38k on it and has had ZERO problems. No radio replacements, no warranty claims and there's nothing special about that. Of course, this IS a Jeep, so I guess that means that next owner is going to having all of those issues you haven't experienced yet at 20k and beyond.

It just means it's going to take a few more years before you find out that you have an airbag that will shoot shrapnel in your face.
  • iamthestigiamthestig Member Posts: 85

A new car going 15,000 miles with no problems is not news. As a matter of fact any new car better go 15,000 miles with no incidents.

Tell that to Cars.com -- Their long-term Cherokee had its engine replaced at 13,000 miles.
    https://www.cars.com/articles/2014/12/why-jeep-replaced-our-2014-cherokees-engine/
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    The car now has 15K miles on it. What are they supposed to say? B)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    while i agree a new car should have no problems in the first 15k miles... as a previous jeep owner it is a pretty big deal. go visit the grand cherokee or cherokee forums...
  • sviseksvisek Member Posts: 35
    edited April 2015
    We just replaced an old but largely trouble-free '99 Grand Cherokee with a 2015 Cherokee. While we haven't put many miles on the JC yet, if it is as good long-term as our old JGC we'll be very satisfied customers.
  • sviseksvisek Member Posts: 35

Tell that to Cars.com -- Their long-term Cherokee had its engine replaced at 13,000 miles.
    https://www.cars.com/articles/2014/12/why-jeep-replaced-our-2014-cherokees-engine/
    New vehicles are complicated manufactured products, made in high volumes. Every make and model, no matter how good, occasionally have atypical problems, including major component failures. Likewise there are many happy customers of cars with horrible reputations who don't understand all the complaints when they have never had a problem with their particular car. The cars.com Cherokee's engine issues seems to be a one-off issue with that particular car, something their article reflects. Your post left a different impression. We will have to see in the years to come whether the Cherokee is notably high or low in terms of issues, or average. It is certainly far too early to know such answers at this point.