Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    tyguy said:

Beautiful MB, Mike. It was fun to see the Flordia condo complex you've told us so much about, too.

My GTI dream may be delayed a bit. Friday I met with a new orthopedic surgeon and we reviewed some images of my left knee. The lateral compartment, in his words, is "toast." It's totally collapsed and I have no seperation in the joint, so an artificial implant is my only hope to reduce pain and minimize further degradation of the bone. The good news, and shocking news as well, is my ACL appears to be in good shape despite all the injuries over the years.

Recovery is expected to include one day in the hospital, two to six weeks out of my work place, three months of swelling and discomfort, one year until complete results are known. After chatting about the situation with my wife we've decided to target early fall for the procedure and enjoy our summer, but I'll need to be gentle on the joint until then. Not knowing how successful the procedure will be I'm thinking a manual transmission may be a risky move right now. An auto GTI is an obvious option, but that half defeats the purpose of getting the GTI :)

I am getting sympathy pains for you Ty, that sounds like an ordeal....good luck. I would definitely put off getting a manual transmission until you are free and clear, you will have enough to contend with for now.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

Well, not getting into what's been appending in here but my wife and I went up to Red Bank, NJ (a seriously nice town) to see John Mellencamp.

Driver, I'd have paid $18,000 for the Audi....
    Sounds like a great concert....I still like Frankie Valli concerts though.

About the $18k for the A4.........thanks for the offer, .and I would give Mike $30k for his E400.

You have a really good imagination.

Driver, your offer of $30,000 for my E400 ($72,000+ MSRP) is most generous and much appreciated!  When do the psychiatrists plan on releasing you from the loony bin?  Not soon, I hope!!! :angry::worried: 

The same day as they let fezo out for offering me $16k for the A4 when the dealer already gave me $26k.

At least he didn't do what some people would do....after I accept the $26k he would offer me $50k! Generous!

fezo said:

See what kind of deals they'll offer. I ma let you keep my half of the Miata...

fezo....you're generosity overwhelms me...:)

I didn't look too closely, but the cursory look was for an E Class. Invoice minus some sort of dealer incentive minus $3,500 for my employee discount. Doesn't sound too shabby.

Does that offer extend to your Edmunds buddies?

JD Powers sent the survey again...said there was a technical glitch...I really told them what I think about Audi. In the free comment section I said we love the car, and gave the reasons, but I told them if Audi doesn't stand behind their product then I won't either....buyer beware.

Remember I was writing to the President of Audi Canada?

Do you think (once the deal is finalized and the dealer secures our car) we buy the GLK I should write to Audi Canada and inform them why we dumped our Audi?

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    driver100 said:
    JD Powers sent the survey again...said there was a technical glitch...I really told them what I think about Audi. In the free comment section I said we love the car, and gave the reasons, but I told them if Audi doesn't stand behind their product then I won't either....buyer beware. Remember I was writing to the President of Audi Canada? Do you think (once the deal is finalized and the dealer secures our car) we buy the GLK I should write to Audi Canada and inform them why we dumped our Audi?
    DEFINITELY!!!

2021 Genesis G90

edited April 2015
    What's scary....I just found out my new company has an agreement with Mercedes to buy at substantial discounts off their vehicles AFTER you negotiate with the dealer. Not in the market, but good to know for the future.
    Sounds like what I get with USAA and MBCA (Mercedes Benz Club of America).  My brother got $3500 below invoice on his convertible and then another $3500 from Morgan Stanley when he got his E400 sedan.  Those fleet discounts are what allow me to buy Mercedes Benz vehicles for $4000 under invoice.  You can use those discounts only once per calendar year.

2021 Genesis G90

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    abacomike said:

What's scary....I just found out my new company has an agreement with Mercedes to buy at substantial discounts off their vehicles AFTER you negotiate with the dealer.

Not in the market, but good to know for the future.

Sounds like what I get with USAA and MBCA (Mercedes Benz Club of America).  My brother got $3500 below invoice on his convertible and then another $3500 from Morgan Stanley when he got his E400 sedan.  Those fleet discounts are what allow me to buy Mercedes Benz vehicles for $4000 under invoice.  You can use those discounts only once per calendar year.

Bummer ! If I can't qualify for that discount on two or three MB's in one calendar year, I'm not buying any. :'(
    abacomike said:

driver100 said:

JD Powers sent the survey again...said there was a technical glitch...I really told them what I think about Audi. In the free comment section I said we love the car, and gave the reasons, but I told them if Audi doesn't stand behind their product then I won't either....buyer beware.

Do you think (once the deal is finalized and the dealer secures our car) we buy the GLK I should write to Audi Canada and inform them why we dumped our Audi?

DEFINITELY!!!

OK, I will write to Audi Canada. I am sure I will be ignored but I might as well have some fun for my $1100!

edited April 2015
    jayrider said:

abacomike said:

What's scary....I just found out my new company has an agreement with Mercedes to buy at substantial discounts off their vehicles AFTER you negotiate with the dealer.

Not in the market, but good to know for the future.

Bummer ! If I can't qualify for that discount on two or three MB's in one calendar year, I'm not buying any. :'(

LOL......Why do they do that? Are they afraid you are going to resell them and go into business?

When we got the GLK the dealer gives you 2% off, and MB gives you an additional 2% off as a loyalty bonus, IF you still are making paymentsa on your last MB. So a cash customer or someone who pays off their vehicle before buying a new one loses out.....the world has gone mad!

My wife doesn't like to make payments if she doesn't have to and at first she just wanted to pay them cash, thinking we may lose $100 or $200, but wouldn't fill out all the forms.

But, when we calculated we would get $1400 back by letting them pay the first 3 months she decided it was worth filling out the forms.

Why not just give us the equivalent amount and let us pay cash.....which is really csh to them, line of credit for us. Owe, and we pay at a higher rate of interest since we still don't owe anything on the car. It doesn't make sense to me, but I am sure it does to them.

Driver, the loyalty incentive makes the deal a good one, IMHO.  After a few months when you feel it's time, you pay off the note and get your title from the bank (MFS).  You may have to maintain the loan for a minimum length of time before it can be paid off - check on that to be sure.

2021 Genesis G90

• tommister2tommister2 Member Posts: 393
    @driver100 You know, I'm really not sure how Mechanicsville got it's name. There's a lot of Civil War history here but I can't tie that together. Sounds like I need to do some more research about my town!
    2011 Toyota Camry, 2014 Jeep Wrangler, 2017 Honda Civic Coupe, 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE, 2021 Toyota Tundra, 2022 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Tesla Model 3
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,065

@driver100 You know, I'm really not sure how Mechanicsville got it's name. There's a lot of Civil War history here but I can't tie that together. Sounds like I need to do some more research about my town!

Start here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanicsville,_Virginia

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

abacomike said:

Driver, the loyalty incentive makes the deal a good one, IMHO.  After a few months when you feel it's time, you pay off the note and get your title from the bank (MFS).  You may have to maintain the loan for a minimum length of time before it can be paid off - check on that to be sure.

It is certainly better than no incentive. But, why reward people who buy a new car just because they still owe on their current car. Sure they make more since the customer is paying large amounts of interest, but it is sad when credit purchases get preferential treatment over cash customers.

It is a wierd bit of trickery too because we put $1000 down, and we get that back before the payments begin, otherwise that bit of cash would lower the monthly payment and they wouldn't pay as much in the first 3 months.

He Mike....did you ever sell a G Class? There was a time when I really wanted one. Our company had about $800k in sales, and I said to my wife I want one of those when we do over $1million in sales, thinking that would never happen. The next year it did happen, but the reviews were not great for the G Class....heavy, slow, gas guzzler, huge etc. By then I decided it wasn't for me, but I have seen a few and they sure do stand out!

Michaell said:

Start here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanicsville,_Virginia
    It sounds like a nice little town...with a pretty good median income level.

As to the name........if you read this you will know if someone else asks you this same question (which of course will never happen).

When the village was being laid out, the devleoper noted the number of skilled workmen living there- carpenters, masons, blacksmiths, wheelwrights, sawyers- which were collectively known as mechanics. Ville- as in village- was added- and became the name of the village and the railroad stop located there. The name is much older than the automobile

edited April 2015
    @driver100:

No, never sold one.  They are much more expensive than one would think.  I think they go for $120,000 nicely equipped.  They are used in Australia and Africa quite a bit.  You see them in the Outback and on the Serengeti.  I guess you could say they are the most expensive "off-road" vehicles made.  They are hard to come by.  I checked inventory for south Florida and found 9 G550's in the tri-county area listing for $115,000-$135,000.  

I'd rather have an LX or a Land Rover.  

2021 Genesis G90

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872
    driver100 said:

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

DEFINITELY!!!
    OK, I will write to Audi Canada. I am sure I will be ignored but I might as well have some fun for my $1100!

If it were me I would also include a picture of your wife's new ride and thank them for giving you the incentive to trade the Audi.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

venture said:

driver100 said:

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

DEFINITELY!!!

If it were me I would also include a picture of your wife's new ride and thank them for giving you the incentive to trade the Audi.

I like that idea!

I did send head office in Germany and in Canada that new Mustang that burned to a crisp, and I said it is a good thing it wasn't an Audi or you would class it as "Driver's fault".

abacomike said:

@driver100:

No, never sold one.  They are much more expensive than one would think.  I think they go for $120,000 nicely equipped.  They are used in Australia and Africa quite a bit.  You see them in the Outback and on the Serengeti.  I guess you could say they are the most expensive "off-road" vehicles made.  They are hard to come by.  I checked inventory for south Florida and found 9 G550's in the tri-county area listing for $115,000-$135,000.  

They do have class....we forgot to mention it to that real estate lady.

I just couldn't bring myself to drive one of them around. I thought I would like it, but no, too showy or something.

Driver, I could think of many adjectives to describe the G550 (boxy, angular, outbackish, Safari-ish) but "showy" is not one of them.  Now if you were describing a Rolls Royce or Bentley or the new Mercedes Maybach, showy would seem appropriate.  What do you think?

2021 Genesis G90

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    Regarding paying cash or borrowing, if someone wants to lend me money cheap, I'll take it.
    When I got my new HVAC system, they let me put it on my credit card(got 1% back).
    I then used my credit line on another card to borrow the money for 2% for a year.
    Net, I got to pay it off over longer than a year for 1%. Not bad for unsecured money.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • abacomike said:

@driver100:

I came across three of those while Jeeping in Moab on one of our regular trips. The first time we saw them was on a trail with several ledges the vehicles would have to drop down. I pulled up beside them while they were stopped at the first ledge to check out the MB I'd never before seen and realized from the plates the travelers were from Europe. It was a fairly wide open area and the rock ledges spanned over 100 feet on open slick rock. While checking out the boxy things I realized the drivers were piling rocks at the bottom of the first ledge at its easiest point to reduce the drop even more. I guess they were afraid to scrape the skid plates and bumper.

After 15 minutes of watching them pile rocks, the first one of the three descended down with no issue, but they still had several more ledges to go. Getting a little anxious to continue our trip, I backed up and picked the approach with the biggest descent/drop, and not even slowing down, dropped off the ledges one after another, scrapping my rear bumper over each one with a loud howl. That's the difference between $30,000 and $120,000 when offroading....less concern. :)

Late that night we pulled into our camp spot, and wouldn't you know it, there were the three MBs and they weren't alone. Parked next to the Gs was a huge MB bus configured in ways I had never seen. Outdoor cooking pullout and exterior accessible sleeping cubbies were just a couple of the oddities. Weirdest RV I'd ever come across, but I have to admire the fact they paid to have the entire setup hauled over from Germany.

Despite the boxy and ungainly stance the Gs did turn out to be quite stable on the trail. I ran across them again on Poison Spider trail, a fairly difficult one even by Moab standards, and watched as they climbed a steep slick rock hill, then made a u-turn on it to come down. When they started that u-turn I audibly gasped thinking they would roll given the steep angle of the rock, but they never did, and the didn't even chirp a wheel climbing or descending. I would have never tried that u-turn in the lifted Jeep with soft suspension. Very impressive.

-Ty
    abacomike said:

Driver, I could think of many adjectives to describe the G550 (boxy, angular, outbackish, Safari-ish) but "showy" is not one of them.  Now if you were describing a Rolls Royce or Bentley or the new Mercedes Maybach, showy would seem appropriate.  What do you think?

I agree they are kind of ugly, but I think they do look showy...in a quiet way. A G Class says to me "I got the money to buy this baby, but I don't care if it looks butt ugly, I am too important to worry about such things".

Maybe I am reading too much into it.

Ty, interesting look at the G's real purpose. They are solid, built originally as military vehicles. This from Edmunds:

The Mercedes-Benz G-Class was originally developed for military use back in the late 1970s as a heavy-duty four-wheel-drive conveyance. But over the intervening decades, Mercedes has continuously updated it for civilian use, adding more refinement and luxury features as time has gone on. Yet despite the heated seats and abundance of polished wood trim, there's no denying the G's utilitarian roots. At nearly 3 tons, describing it as an over-engineered, leather-lined rolling bank vault would be perfectly acceptable. It's tall with a healthy step-in height, its doors close with a reassuring clunk, space efficiency is unexceptional and its heft contributes to poor fuel economy and ponderous handling.

So is it practical? Not really. Capable off road? With three locking differentials? Definitely. Desirable?

• Three tons!? Wow. Talk about a tank. Next time I invade a foreign country I'll know what vehicle to pick up. Does Putin have one?
  • mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    Driver, you need to update your signature as it still sports the A4.
    Also, I agree completely with what you did by taking away the vehicle that made your wife sad and replacing it with one that made her happy. I have done the same at great expense myself and never looked back.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

mako1a said:

Driver, you need to update your signature as it still sports the A4.
    Also, I agree completely with what you did by taking away the vehicle that made your wife sad and replacing it with one that made her happy. I have done the same at great expense myself and never looked back.

Mako, I remember when you had reservations about your Toyota product...was it an Avalon? You are 100% correct.....the Audi wouldn't bother me too much, it would a bit...but, my wife has lost her confidence because they have turned what was 99.9% chance their fault and made it her fault.

She doesn't like it when I tell her something is her fault so she she ain't going to like it when they do it...ha ha.

The GLK is about 96.4% certain to go through, but I don't want to jinx it by changing my signature before I know. They have to locate the car, the dealer isn't allowed to know where the car is - could be on a lot, could be at another dealer. If it is at another dealer they have to swap cars. It is probably an ingenious system so dealers won't battle over a customer.

Thank you for your comments though because it is good to know that getting rid of a car you aren't comfortable with ends up being the right thing to do.

tyguy said:

Three tons!? Wow. Talk about a tank. Next time I invade a foreign country I'll know what vehicle to pick up. Does Putin have one?

I was surprised at that number too.......3 tons! If your in a traffic jam you can just plow your way to the front.

I just compared it to a Hummer, another heavy weight at 5850 pounds. Those G's look stately though, looks like you could be a chauffeur driving around a 4 star General.

@driver100:

Well, we're all anxious to find out if you were able to get that Mercedes your wife wanted.  Hope your dealer was able to procure it for you.

2021 Genesis G90

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Today is a Massachusetts holiday - Patriots' Day which commemorates the Battles of Lexington and Concord - and of course the date of the Boston marathon. I'm working from home today and have the race on in the background. Seeing these 30,000 people running 26 miles in a cold rain truly is an inspiration. The elite runners of course are the show but the vast majority are just regular Joe's with the simple goal of finishing.

Makes my little daily 5K (when I feel like it) not much of an accomplishment.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited April 2015
    driver: The GLK should be a great vehicle for your wife (and you). It has been on my radar for some time, and I really like the combination of style, luxury and utility without being a Goliath. Good luck, and keep us posted.

With all this talk of buying, I have to say that I am building more and more of an appetite before my Nov. 1st Lexus lease is up. Another Mercedes is definitely a consideration, probably a C300, but we'll see. It's just for a daily driver/"white-collar"workhorse, and since with increasing age my posterior is favoring a softer quieter ride, plus my pain whenever a road pebble hits my car, it will not be anything too too fancy.
  • thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    carnaught said:
    .., It's just for a daily driver/"white-"workhorse, and since with increasing age my posterior is favoring a softer quieter ride, plus my pain whenever a road pebble hits my car, it will not be anything too too fancy.
    This is exactly why I quit buying lux cars.  In the early 00's, I had two Mercs - a '96 C280 (wife's) & a '99 E320 (mine).  I was SO paranoid about anything dinging them or any rocks hitting them and the wife was even worse.  It took all the pleasure out of owning them, plus the high cost of maintenance.  I sold both of them & got a '02 Civic to drive to work & got the wife a '01 ES300.  I got 14 years out of the Civic (traded it in on a '15 Accord) & the Lexus is still going strong with only 62K miles.  

For or some reason, we were not as picky with the Lexus and when it got a couple of small dings, no big deal.  Fancy luxury cars are just not for us.  I appreciate them but don't want one.  To each their own.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    As BMWs become softer and less entertaining to drive I'm starting to look downmarket; there are more than a few "hot hatches" that I'm absolutely certain I would enjoy driving much more than any non //M BMW.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,726
    Mike: Nice car, nice pix. Takes me back to a simpler, happier time when my folks owned at Tierra del Mar in Boca...

Mid day work run today, took a different route over to Mile 16 to watch the Marathon runners for a bit. Amazing, the steady flow of runners and the pace. 45 degrees, raining and they all looked much more content than me after a simple 1.75 mile jog to watch them! Saw a gentleman in a full Uncle Sam outfit, a runner with a big lobster hat and carrying a hiking stick and many rather in shape women... Shirts from Canada, Greece, Italy, US Marines and, of course, locals. After watching and cheering for about 10 minutes, we turned around and ran another 3.25 miles to try and make ourselves feel more macho. Shoulda worn gloves, my hands are finally coming back to life!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,518
    The GLk and prior generation C class are my two favorite MBs.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Nice to hear from someone other than the two who seem to drive this board.

Would that Richard would return, but I'm beginning to understand, oh never mind.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    @laurasdada - Which motor do you have in your XF? The 3.0 Super Charged V6?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Hi, Bradd: Yes, that is correct. Nice motor, but not an "R." Plenty for me, though, 340hp, 332lb/ft tq.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

abacomike said:

@driver100:

Well, we're all anxious to find out if you were able to get that Mercedes your wife wanted.  Hope your dealer was able to procure it for you.

The GLK the dealer wanted to get wasn't available. However, they found one almost the same that is on a boat on it's way to port.....should be ready the first week of May.

There aren't many option choices, just 2 packages and ours will have both. It will be white with beige interior. The only difference will be the wood trim will be the lighter wood rather than dark ash.

It all sounds good so I will attempt to change my signature, and write to Audi Canada to tell them the good news.

carnaught said:

driver: The GLK should be a great vehicle for your wife (and you). It has been on my radar for some time, and I really like the combination of style, luxury and utility without being a Goliath. Good luck, and keep us posted.

With all this talk of buying, I have to say that I am building more and more of an appetite before my Nov. 1st Lexus lease is up. Another Mercedes is definitely a consideration, probably a C300, but we'll see. It's just for a daily driver/"white-collar"workhorse, and since with increasing age my posterior is favoring a softer quieter ride, plus my pain whenever a road pebble hits my car, it will not be anything too too fancy.

Carnaught; The C Class is probably a great riding and handling car, but, if you like to sit a bit high and if forward vision is important, then it may not meet your expectations.

If you like the current GLK then keep in mind it is going to get radically changed for 2016. Probably rounded fenders, and a pop-up GPS screen which is all the rage now. My wife and I prefer the GPS/Media screen be built into the dash. The GLK is a bit small in the cargo area, way less room than my E. But, the rear seats go down if need be and although the reviews say the backseat is smallish, I 5'10" had no problem getting in and out or sitting in the rear.

It has a very smooth ride, it feels solid....thumps over bumps. Vision is excellent, really a joy to drive and be a passenger in it. Lots of power, and I think it is a tremendous value considering the engine you get, with all the options, for around $50k, maybe mid $40k in the US.

One guy told me he is a passenger in a friends GLK and everyone loves that car.

Hi, Bradd: Yes, that is correct. Nice motor, but not an "R." Plenty for me, though, 340hp, 332lb/ft tq.

You like it better than the F10 535xi that occupies the other side of your garage? How do the 2 compare? How are they different?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Bean - you've described exactly why I very seldom buy new cars. Wait a year and the first scratch or dent is already there and some other poor clown has paid thousands for the privilege.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    You may, or may not, get dealer or company cards, gifts and the like. But you will get dealer service advertising :)
    fezo said:

Bean - you've described exactly why I very seldom buy new cars. Wait a year and the first scratch or dent is already there and some other poor clown has paid thousands for the privilege.

I hear what you are saying. Given the miles per year I drive & the fact that I've got to make payments on cars (either loan or lease), I haven't yet found a used or CPO car that was such an exceptional deal. Dealers seem to be really proud of their cream puffs & asking prices seem on the high side to me.

@nyccarguy:

I had a set of Michelin MXM4 ZP tires installed on the wife's 328i today. That makes three sets of tires I've bought this year(Michelin Premier A/S on the X3 and BFG All-Terrain T/A KO on the Wrangler are the other two).

Here's hoping I don't have to buy any more tires for at least 18 months...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

That's what I put on my car. I was happy with them. I know you aren't thrilled with the 328i & run flats in general, but am curious to hear what you think of the MXM ZPs.

• thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    nyccarguy said:
    I hear what you are saying. Given the miles per year I drive & the fact that I've got to make payments on cars (either loan or lease), I haven't yet found a used or CPO car that was such an exceptional deal. Dealers seem to be really proud of their cream puffs & asking prices seem on the high side to me.
    That's what I found.  I buy new and keep it for 10+ years.  Sorta the anti-CCBA.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Used cars have been priced fairly high for awhile now. I know I bought a 5 year old Civic with 80K miles back in the early "oughts" for my son to use and for me to run back and forth to the airport with. I think it was a late '90s, at the time. PAid $5K cash, taxes, license, fees included. This was from a dealer no less, who sold the car new, and had all the very thorough service records on it. In short, a cream puff.

You can't get any used cars anywhere near those kinds of prices these days.

Given my proclivity to get in and out of cars relatively often, new seems to be the way to go for me. But, as others have said, if you want maximum value, the key is to keep a car until the proverbial wheels fall off.

Me? Maximum use out of a car over a long period of time was never even remotely on my agenda.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    nyccarguy said:

That's what I put on my car. I was happy with them. I know you aren't thrilled with the 328i & run flats in general, but am curious to hear what you think of the MXM ZPs.

I thought you did; I think they are a perfect fit for a base 328i. I didn't really need an all-season tire since I have a set of winter tires and wheels, but this gives me a bit of breathing room at changeover time. Anyway, I don't drive it it all that much, and when I do it's in a relatively sedate fashion(unless I'm trying to lure a tailgating doofus into spinning out on an interstate ramp).
    :D

nyccarguy said:

You like it better than the F10 535xi that occupies the other side of your garage? How do the 2 compare? How are they different?
    I do like my XF more, subjectively. The 5 feels more powerful, but also feels heavier, a big car. The Jag is just as big/heavy, but drives like a lighter car, tighter handling. Better steering feel and more immediate in the XF. Both nice rides, but a bit more road noise (the runflats?) in the 5. More room in the 5 (I'm 5'10" and have plenty of room up front, but I think once you get above 6', could start getting tight in the XF), better visibility, slightly better mpg. And, iDrive is well ahead of the Jag system! But, for "joy" of driving, the XF. And on the superficial front, while the 5 is a handsome devil, it pales next to the taught lines of the XF. Interior of the XF is unique with great materials, the word that again that comes to my mind is "lighter." And, most importantly, my 16 yo son wants my XF, not mom's 5! Sorry, kiddo, the '02 RX will do you just fine...

Feeling like a bit of a leading-edger here as I think the next few years are going to be good for Jag! I like the evolution of the '16 XF, sounds like shortcomings have been addressed. And, every XE review notes that when better 3-series are built, Jag is building it! The F-Type, oh, yes. If I was in the market for a luxobarge, I'd likely lean to XJ over S, 7 or A8. But, that's the contrarian in me. I do have a thing for the new S Class Coupe, though. But, that's a price point I'll only dream of...

stickguy said:

The GLk and prior generation C class are my two favorite MBs.

I didn't realize how many GLKs were around, until we bought one...now I see them all the time.

I like the look and the styling of the previous C model more than the new one as well, and it had larger windows, lower hood, and a built in GPS/media outlet.

But, I like the version 2 back even more:

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Another shopper looking for suggestions:

Sedan or SUV for long commute

Thanks!