Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Active Fuel Management Problems

14567810»

Comments

• nogm1nogm1 Member Posts: 26
    Once again quotes from a page other than gm. At best you have  proven that gm introduced a motor that was not sustainable on the oil available in 07, 08, 09 and 10. I feel that even that will be proven wrong as the 11's and newer continue to climb in milage.  If this is the case gm owes the people that bought these trucks before the miracle of dexos.  This is all going on the assumptions you have made so if it's wrong, you my  friend have done the work and research to prove this so bravo and thank you.  

Glad to see you are moving on to the next big fix for the automotive world. If you felt insulted its probably because there is some truth to all that I have said. I will always enjoy arguing with someone who is so one sided on an issue that effects so many with no willingness to see the other side.  Before you think to yourself I'm the pot calling the kettle black really read all of what has gone on here and ask if I didn't try and see your side.  I ask repeatedly for you to give me the info to support your claims and you didn't even acknowledge my questions most of the time.  You know what  you know and no one will convince you otherwise so don't think poor of me for the same reason.  I think I did a good job of showing only facts from the manufacture itself and that is where I would think you would get the best info on matters like these. 

I stick by my statement, i will never own another gm product and I will do my best to talk everyone I know out of purchasing one also.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    "Once again quotes from a page other than gm. At best you have proven that gm introduced a motor that was not sustainable on the oil available in 07, 08, 09 and 10."

Looks like you almost have it figured out. Again, that last link IS GM's dexos information page, (How did you miss that?) The difference is there were products that could do the job but a lack of education caused infrequent usage of them, a problem that was further complicated by the mis-information found in many of the linked articles.

BTW. You mis-stated the issue with the above quote, it should read, "At best you have proven that gm introduced a motor that was not sustainable on a lot of the oil that was available in 07, 08, 09 and 10." If you had bothered to actually read anything that was provided to you would know that Mercedes, BMW, VW, Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, Toyota (and others) all had similar issues during the same time frame and in fact as far back as 1998. Good-luck switching to a manufacturer that hasn't been dealing with similar issues.

" you my friend have done the work and research to prove this so bravo and thank you."

Hmmm, friend? After what has transcribed during the last twenty four hours plus you want to use that phrase? As far doing all of the work I'm just the messenger and had a very small role in compiling most of the information. From there with dozens of hours of study and verification of information, case study research on hundreds of repairs, plus combining that with first hand experience fixing problems on cars (not just GM) that were not my regular customers and you have all of the pieces of the puzzle connected. Frankly you don't deserve any of it, especially because you offer nothing back for it except for the abuse and insults that are recorded here.

edited April 2015
    I beg to differ this' http://www.centerforqa.com/gm/about-dexos is the link you posted which is not gm's dexos sight. It is simply a site for a company that does licensing for gm.  This,  http://www.gmdexos.com/about.aspx however is.  You got the first part of the quote right but that second part was added by the sight you linked to.  

"dexos® is recommended by GM for use in all its vehicles except those with Duramax diesel engines requiring the use of API CJ-4 engine oil. dexos® is fully backward-compatible and can be used in older vehicles.
    •dexos1® is designed for use with gasoline engines and replaces GM-LL-A-025, GM6094M and GM4718M."

And even if this quote is true it says it CAN be used in older vehicles not that it MUST be used,  there is a difference. I would imagine if i ask if i can use dexos oil in a 94 Chevy I would be told I could but does that mean i have to,  no it doesn't.  I did not find this on the dexos page that would be why you linked a different sight instead of the dexos page. I'm just trying to show you why someone who can think for themselves questions you.  My statement from earlier is correct the way it is written.  If dexos was the fix for these issues then gm produced 4 model years with out being able to sustain what they produced.  

As far as abuse goes if you think any of this is abuse you have lived a sheltered life.  Insults maybe, but you took a few subtle shots at me too.  And you are correct that I do not deserve information that as far as I can tell is incorrect. Finally something we can totally agree on. 
    Case studies and research,  hmm yet you have provided none that gm has done and published for the consumer to read. Maybe I'm a skeptic.
    I would post the service bulletins regarding this issue but the forum won't let me due to length. If you do the research you will find that no where in the ones I found call out a cause being incorrect oil spec.
  • chevylover5555chevylover5555 Member Posts: 1
    When we talk about the 2007 to 2008 GMC Sierra with active fuel management with the 6.0 litre having active fuel management, In which Cadillac5 stated, I don't think he knew what he was talking about in his whole post because GMC dropped the 6.0 Litre engine after the year of 2006 and they did not pick up the 6.2 until the year of 2011 and the only engines with active fuel management are the 4.8, 5.3, and the 6.2 is the Chevrolet and GMC lineup. There are problems with the 5.3 Litre engine with Active Engine Management or AFM for short, the problem with that more than anything is that there seems to be oil spraying into the pistons when you go from a V8 to a V4 and the spark plugs can foul out, but there could be an issue of the pistons overheating and then they would need to be replaced. You can shut the AFM down but is sounds like you will still be burning some oil but not as much as if you keep the AFM engaged. But no GMC dealer will disengage the AFM, but there are some tuners that can disengage the AFM but you will lose the fuel economy you get when you use the AFM.
  • weevil1weevil1 Member Posts: 1
    Well now that all these years have passed since this thread was generated. How many of the fools that commented at it's start slamming the author still feel the same? My 07 Max has had this problem 2 twice and the author who brought this issue to light was 100% spot on! I can only wish I'd have seen this before I spent 27,000 on this truck. This engine makes a good boat anchor like Fords 5.4 Triton engine! Consumers need to file a class action lawsuit against GM since dealers charge 3400 dollars for a temporary fix.
  • luvmychevluvmychev Member Posts: 1
    JUST SOME INFO> i hate to be the one to say it but its called maintaining your vehicle. people do not realize electronics pron to heat and normal use need to be replaced. the AFM also needs replaced and probably every 50,000 miles. i know this from experience. when i purchase a vehicle i first change transmission fluid, radiator (most radiators 80 bucks shipped) with fluid and any oils in car/truck as most electronic sensors. ya it costs me, but it saves me from tows and having no vehicle.do you realize transmission fluid is just as important as the engine oil? do you change the transmission fluid as stated in your manual? i change it every 25000 miles and never, NEVER had a transmission fail on me yet! same for rear end gears, any moving parts need changed in a reasonable amount of time. like i said maintaining a vehicle is very important. i am lucky to do all my work and finding a good mechanic is difficult but someone you know knows a good mechanic for your dealer recommended maintenance. so if you love your vehicles like i do, try it, you might like it....
  • gmctroublegmctrouble Member Posts: 1
    I have to agree with cadillac5 on the first comment. If you own an 07-08 GMC Sierra with AFM and you haven't found a problem yet, It's on the way. Every time my GMC switches to 4 cylinder there is a vibration in the drive train. Thought it might be a u-joint or wheel bearing but a mechanic brought the AFM to my attention. Can watch the screen and every time it switches to 4 cyl the vibration appears. Vibration seems to be getting worse now that I'm aware. May try to have it disabled.
  • rickwilliamrickwilliam Member Posts: 1

natesms
    Your mileage is horrible, there is something wrong. Doing 70 mph on flat fwy. I expect 18 mpg. I have gotten as high as 18.5. No foolin, done it many times. Of course thats assuming you are not hitting the throttle hard getting on the fwy. etc. Even so, in bumper to bumper commuting traffic I get 15. The weird surging and the bad mpg may be related. Don't accept what the dealer is saying.

As to idle, mine fluctuates a little but that doesn't bother me, it's a truck not a Benz. As long as it doesn't make me spill my beer it's not excessive. :surprise:

1offroader

I bought a 07 vortex max used and I have had sensor problems one after another. Both sides of my heads had to be rebuilt because it threw some valve guides and my gas mileage is only 14mpg and thats on a good day. MY STABILATRAC and cruise control are not working now as well . Now my tire sensors are joining the club. I have all of the bad issues alot ofother silveradfos seem to have, so I will agree with you, the GM corp. needs to step up and really acknowledge that the silverado has some issues.
  • cappy208cappy208 Member Posts: 1
    Unfortunately I am in agreement with the OP about this issue.     This has happened twice on my ‘12 Silverado.     First time almost immediately after purchase, with stuttering cylinder, stabilitrak messages and cyl 7 misfire.     Now at 82000 miles it’s back.    First time dealer tried to blame me,   Try to convince me ‘oh, it’s within tolerance to burn a quart of oil between oil changes’.   And then diagnose the AFM control, leaking valve cover gasket, and dribbling oil into spark plug boot.    Now it’s on to part two.   Now they act like they’ve never heard of this issue.     I’m disgusted with GM.    Never again.   
  • tSgt75tSgt75 Member Posts: 1
    cadillac5 said:

There is a problem with the active fuel management systems on ALL 2007-2008 Sierras that have the 5.3L or 6.0. The 4.8L model does not have active fuel management. For the old timers out there, it is the same issue as the Cadillac V8-6-4 engine. Make no mistake, If your vehicle has active fuel management, you have a problem! GM is aware and do not have a fix for this issue.

See Also: GM's Active Fuel Management and Oil Consumption Issue