Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Here's The Future of Gauge-Integrated Displays - 2015 Porsche Macan S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2015 in Porsche

imageHere's The Future of Gauge-Integrated Displays - 2015 Porsche Macan S Long-Term Road Test

The 2015 Porsche Macan S is available with a color display in the gauge cluster that includes trip computer, navigation, vehicle status and entertainment information.

Read the full story here

Comments

• throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    I like Audi's approach. if you're going to do configurable displays, just make one(or two) large screens. This way manufacturers can update graphics, styles, etc as the tech evolves. If the not the manufacturers, then the after market.
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    I like having the central display so everyone in the car can see it as well as some sort of redundant display in the IP. I really like Porsche's implementation - very classy.
  • sharp_caisharp_cai Member Posts: 11
    Prefer HUD
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    I don't love this approach. You're taking a fully flexible and customizable display and force-fitting it into a round screen. It's round simply because gauges all used to be round. I like round analog gauges the best but if you're going to go with a digital screen you should spread it out over as much of the dash space as possible and then let the driver customize the screen with round graphics if they want that look. But don't make me look at a map forced into the shape of a circle minus the space of the overlapping tach.
  • goaterguygoaterguy Member Posts: 64
    I test drove a Tesla last week and the Porsche dash looks obsolete in comparison.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Umm... no. Looks nice, but come on - look at that tiny map. You can't see anything from that. We're advancing towards self-driving, so maybe it's not a huge deal, but to me, it should be an auto-adjustable "smart" area. If you've got an automatic and everything is working well, you should have a mostly clear dash with just speedo. If you use directions, then the next turn and distance should appear off to the side. If cars are in your blind spot, a notification should appear. Less is more. As guys, we'd love to see 100 dials showing what the temperature is of the tires and the exact quantity of oil that's in the crankcase, but the reality is that its a distraction. Needs to be smart. Clean. Simple. Tell you important things when needed, not little dials for things you don't need.
  • flyusmcflyusmc Member Posts: 10
    Umm...who remembers the Chrysler Pacifica..same thing like a decade before this right?
  • tony_eetony_ee Member Posts: 1
    What's wrong with a Boeing's cockpit, anyhow?

If you look carefully, it has both TFT multi fiunction displays (MFDs) and good old analog gauges so the plane can still be flown with a "dark cockpit".

That Porsche display looks pretty small to me. I would much prefer dual 10 inch displays!