Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    kyfdx said:

I think we spend two car payments on eating out, each month.

Lots of good places to do that in Northern KY/Cinci... The house I'm buying is within walking distance of my favorite restaurant/bar, which won't be good for my budget or my waistline.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,199
    corvette said:

kyfdx said:

I think we spend two car payments on eating out, each month.

Lots of good places to do that in Northern KY/Cinci... The house I'm buying is within walking distance of my favorite restaurant/bar, which won't be good for my budget or my waistline.
    It's about two miles to the nearest bar that I would hang out at... That keeps me from walking there in bad weather, anyway.. Hmmm.. nice day, today. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Actually, since I turned in my BMW and started making Subaru payments, I do make it a point to pay myself the extra $200 per month by transferring into my kitchen renno fund savings account immediately after I make the car payment.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Good excuse to buy a car....

Did you buy your most recent car at least in part because you were drawn to the car's automated safety features (such as adaptive cruise control, parking assist, automatic braking, lane departure warnings, etc.)? If so, a reporter would like to hear your story. Please contact PR@edmunds.com by no later than Monday, April 20, 2015.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    Part of my selection process these days for a new car includes:
    Can I turn off all such 'automated safety features' ?
    And will they STAY off across a re-start ?
    - Ray
    True of my current car = all present & off .....
    2022 X3 M40i
    edited April 2015
    I probably posted this last month, but it's right down your alley.

(And no, it's not a pic of a horse and buggy. :D We're talking Miatas and the like.)
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    Very nice. Something like that can really pay dividends for them later on. Our office supply company sends Mrs. Fields treats with every order, although I really wish they didn't, since I have no resistance to sugary food.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    Hmm. When I leased my new Cadillac I got exactly zilch from the dealer afterwards. Not even a card.

Actually the only time I ever got anything was when I bought my '02 Intrigue. A week or so later a small package arrived at my office with a card, coffee mug, and some treats. On the '09 and '11 Buicks, nothing.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    ab348 said:

Hmm. When I leased my new Cadillac I got exactly zilch from the dealer afterwards. Not even a card.

Actually the only time I ever got anything was when I bought my '02 Intrigue. A week or so later a small package arrived at my office with a card, coffee mug, and some treats. On the '09 and '11 Buicks, nothing.

If buying a new car would get me free cookies, I'd buy a lot more often. I love free eats. ;)
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    ab348 said:

That's not good on your dealer's part. I got an insulated tote with the Cadillac emblemm, two nice Cadillac keychains, and a $50 restaurant gift card from my dealer.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    Hey Fin!

What say you about this one?

http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/4987467265.html
    slorenzen said:

Hey Fin!

What say you about this one?

http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/4987467265.html

I'm not the expert, but headlights didn't look like that on a 1983. Those look like post 1987 headlights.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    Holy flaming hockey puck, Batman! Saturday went running with the boys. Beautiful, sunny day. Parked the car in an open lot, sun beaming down on Mother Earth. Came back from the run, after shooting the breeze a bit hopped in the car, the chrome hockey puck arose, I gripped it and BURN!!! I've oft read about the metallic beauty heating up in the hot Summer sun, but first time I think I've experienced it! Lesson learned, will leave something over it going forward when there is no shelter from the sun.

But, still love the XF. Great car

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Holy flaming hockey puck, Batman! Saturday went running with the boys. Beautiful, sunny day. Parked the car in an open lot, sun beaming down on Mother Earth. Came back from the run, after shooting the breeze a bit hopped in the car, the chrome hockey puck arose, I gripped it and BURN!!! I've oft read about the metallic beauty heating up in the hot Summer sun, but first time I think I've experienced it! Lesson learned, will leave something over it going forward when there is no shelter from the sun.

But, still love the XF. Great car

I was thinking about you Saturday afternoon on my way home from work. I'm cruising home and notice an XF approaching fast in my rear view. I move over and as he passes I notice the subtle R badge on the back. Very sexy car and very tastefully done!

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    ab348 said:

I bought a 2000 Intrigue GL with sunroof in 2001. It was loaner at the Olds/Cad dealer. They treated me great, as if I bought a Caddy. Low mileage and nice condition. Had the typical steering half shaft clunk which they greased up and the clunk went a way for a while. 3.5 had nice power, smooth, and quiet. Sold it to Car Max as I found an 01 Aurora 4.0 with all options except nav for a really attractive price in 2003. Not counting the 95 Cutlass Ciera SL that dad gave me while I had the Aurora, that was the last Olds I've owned as the brand was retired.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096
    I got nothing but cards when I've bought cars - from one, I got cards for about 10 years after I bought the car, which amused me. I don't mind it, I'd rather have the money saved than swag, that stuff comes from somewhere.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    When my wife bought her 3er from The BMW Store back in 2008 she was sent a box of Godiva chocolates.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

When my wife bought her 3er from The BMW Store back in 2008 she was sent a box of Godiva chocolates.

That's a nice touch. I've got a box of dealer swag around somewhere. I think I've even got an Edmunds pen around that doubles as a toy car as well as an Edmunds tire gauge.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    GG, got the same "gifts" from Edmunds recently and it was a nice surprise. We both got zilch from Audi or VW when we bought last December but such is life, we both love our vehicles, a lot. Had a rotation done this morning at 4935 miles and since the 1st service is due at 10k, figured might as well do the swap on my n/s day today. Audi tire icon came on Sunday but turns out the pressure was low in one of the tires so they fixed that, checked all the tires and gave it a wash/vacuum so now it's looking brand new again.
    Tint guy came to the house Saturday and did both vehicles and so far, so good. Been home basically since then so tomorrow it'll be outside all day at work so the heat can dry things out better. Glad we finally got this done, word of mouth from a friend who also bought an A3 the same time as we did and she was very pleased with his work. Right now, so are we!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    I've never seen an aftermarket tint more than 7 or 8 years old that had not gone to ____. Yes, I know you probably won't own the vehicle that long, but I would still be very reluctant to go there.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759
    What level of tinting did you get, Sandy?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,118
    henryn said:

I've never seen an aftermarket tint more than 7 or 8 years old that had not gone to ____. Yes, I know you probably won't own the vehicle that long, but I would still be very reluctant to go there.

I've had aftermarket tint on two of my Saturns for 7+ years with no problems whatsoever. And this is in Colorado, where the sun is brighter and harsher due to the altitude.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

That's a nice touch. I've got a box of dealer swag around somewhere. I think I've even got an Edmunds pen around that doubles as a toy car as well as an Edmunds tire gauge.
    I got nothing for buying a $63k Cadillac, but have many Edmunds items. The travel mug and fleece jacket get a tremendous amount of use. :)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    Michaell said:

henryn said:

I've had aftermarket tint on two of my Saturns for 7+ years with no problems whatsoever. And this is in Colorado, where the sun is brighter and harsher due to the altitude.
    My understanding is if you use the new ceramic tints they will hold up much, much better.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

I assume the Edmunds gifts are for using their service to get pricing or whatever?

I know there are folks on this board who have pretty good knowledge of older cars .. help a new member out, please:

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/33781/chrysler/x/in-over-my-head#latest

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

Another request for a new member ... specifically, looking for a new or used SUV...

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/33782/general/x/help-me-choose-an-suv#latest

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Received a mailer from a Honda dealer where I have serviced the Pilot a few times. It came with 3 "checks"

Check #1 - $15.00 off of an oil & filter change
    Check #2 - Up to $100 off any parts & service
    Check #3 - $250 towards purchase or lease of any new/used vehicle

Hmm, I wonder if they have some sort of chronic car buyer database:)

henryn said:

I think the tinting is a Florida / Arizona thing.
    nyccarguy said:

Received a mailer from a Honda dealer where I have serviced the Pilot a few times. It came with 3 "checks"

Check #1 - $15.00 off of an oil & filter change
    Check #2 - Up to $100 off any parts & service
    Check #3 - $250 towards purchase or lease of any new/used vehicle

Hmm, I wonder if they have some sort of chronic car buyer database:)

Wow !!! $250 off --- that's practically getting the car for free !!
  • thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,216
    henryn said:
    I've got one now that is 14 years old with nary a bubble.  The 13 year old tint job on my Civic was the same when I traded it in. If the installer is a pro and takes his time, you can get good results.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
    ab348 said:

I assume the Edmunds gifts are for using their service to get pricing or whatever?

I've usually have gotten them for answering the reporter requests. One time for being member of the month, or whatever they called that when they were doing it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Geez, I've only been here since forever and am about to make my 20,000th post here. That ought to be worth a cookie. ;)

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    The tint on my Civic lasted over 8 years and was still in great shape. We both got the lightest tint he had since we don't want or need a problem driving at night. He did take a lot of time on each vehicle, close to 2 hours, so hopefully he did a good job. I am optimistic here...very optimistic!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited April 2015
    ab348 said:

Geez, I've only been here since forever and am about to make my 20,000th post here. That ought to be worth a cookie. ;)

We serve cookies here and hope you consume them often. :D
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited April 2015
    I think that those who have had problems with aftermarket tints were from the DIY-ers, not the ones done by a reputable professional. Most or many of the latter come with lifetime guarantees. I wouldn't have a car without it unless I lived in northern Canada or Siberia.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759
    I was thinking about getting the back windows (passenger doors and the cargo area windows) of my Fiesta tinted similar to the factory tint on the Forester. I think that is "40%." Not too dark to be practical at night, but dark enough to help cut down on the solar gain for the kids. They don't get the advantage of visors in the back seats, and during the looooong days of low-angle light we get much of the year, that could be a very good thing (both for them AND for me. LOL).
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    I've got a jacket from being the first recognized poster (what did they call that - I think "Meet fezo"). I got a hat maybe 20 years ago when I won a trip to the NY Auto Show (well actually admittance to the show; I took the bus in...). Got lunch to boot.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,437
    I have a t shirt from doing an interview about 14 years ago. I think it hit the paint shirt pile by now. I have a vague recollection of another shirt more recently, but I could have hallucinated that.

sadly, my big movie debut in one of the Edmunds video profiles fell through. I got aced out by some guy in LA.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    fezo said:

I've got a jacket from being the first recognized poster (what did they call that - I think "Meet fezo"). I got a hat maybe 20 years ago when I won a trip to the NY Auto Show (well actually admittance to the show; I took the bus in...). Got lunch to boot.

I remember, Ask Fezo.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

Ah, yes. Now that was a great topic - or ten or however many renditions we had....
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    Of course actually in the day it was Sir Fezo. Some long gone poster had knighted me in the mid to late 90s....
    edited April 2015
    T'was a blast from the past. Unfortunately the Sir topics got archived in a concrete vault somewhere; forgot if it was Hoboken or under the East River.
    fezo said:

I've got a jacket from being the first recognized poster (what did they call that - I think "Meet fezo").

that's the thing i got my jacket for. wearing it today, in fact. Except I wasn't first. :p

I would not post this just anywhere – but perhaps some here may NOT laugh me off the forum for these opinions.
    [ ?? ]

I now have over 4,000 miles on my 2015 Charger R/T. I looked at [ documented here ] Audi [ primarily S3 ] and BMW [ primarily M235i ] before making my choice. And these would likely not be considered head-on competitors to the Dodge.

I also looked at BMW’s 5 series.
    I drove a 535i – just not enough TQ \ acceleration for me.
    I also drove a couple of 550i-s. I think these are fine cars, and they have a lot to offer. They are also very expensive:
    Starts at $65,000 – and that does not even include heated seats!
    Moving to the ‘M Sport’ version \ line & adding things like heated front & rear seats, heated steering wheel, and such – to bring it close to the level of equipment in my Charger – bumps the MSRP into the $70,000 zip code.

Now my Dodge is NOT a BMW 550i M Sport. However –
    I consider the acceleration comparable, though the BMW is around a half second quicker in the quarter mile. The handling [ these are not small, nimble cars, of course ] under any ‘real world’ conditions I have encountered is roughly equal. [ Neither would do well in an autocross . . . ] So is the ride. Nearly identical rated MPG. The 8-speed transmissions are nearly identical.

The interior appointments [ materials, fit & finish ] are \ or at least can be a bit better in the BMW, one could argue. I do find these Dodge seats quite comfortable - and they provide excellent support for my old back – and butt. And I do not have to have run-flat tires.
    [ I will post a trip report from 800+ miles in 2 days when I return, next week. ]

The MSRP of the Charger was $41,680 – I paid just over $36,000.

The M235i, configured as I would buy one, stickers for over $50,000.

So [ rhetorical question ] is my Dodge the best new BMW I could buy – at the price point?

My personal answer is: [unqualified] yes.
    FWIW.
    YMMV.
    - Ray
    Very happy Dodge driver . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    @rayainsw - I think you got good value for the money. No need to justify why you did what you did to us - just go out and enjoy the ride!

Though if you post this over in the "Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans" topic, you might cause a few hearts to palpitate. Or stop completely.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Indeed...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • tommister2tommister2 Member Posts: 393
    @rayainsw it's great to hear that you are happy with your choice! Most of us struggle to find a vehicle that works well for us. Enjoy your pending road trip. I'm looking forward to your follow up report.
    2011 Toyota Camry, 2014 Jeep Wrangler, 2017 Honda Civic Coupe, 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE, 2021 Toyota Tundra, 2022 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Tesla Model 3
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    The F10 5 Series is a flabby boat- I think: "Old man's car." every time I get one for a loaner. The Charger R/T with the Road and Track Package is a much more entertaining car at 1/2 the cost of the boring 5er.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive