Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Classic car value

druss71druss71 Member Posts: 7
edited April 2015 in Dodge
My 71 charger 500 is its original citrus yella paint color, I'm not the biggest fan of this yellow, and the car is going to need a paint job in the near future. first, should I bother painting her myself? I have the supplies, except I don't think I have the experience to do the entire car. Would it hurt the value to paint her another color?

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,955
    druss71 said:

My 71 charger 500 is its original citrus yella paint color, I'm not the biggest fan of this yellow, and the car is going to need a paint job in the near future. first, should I bother painting her myself? I have the supplies, except I don't think I have the experience to do the entire car. Would it hurt the value to paint her another color?

Let me round up some experts to share their opinions with you....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    druss71 said:

It seems to me that if it is worth some good money now and you may want to sell it in the future, you should have a pro paint it in the original color. If you are going to take it to the grave with you, do whatever will make you happy.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,704
    edited April 2015
    I wouldn't paint it myself, bad paint job will kill the value. As for changing the color, that's a BIG ($$$) job, think about all the places that are yellow now that would need to be changed. I'd either repaint it yellow and keep it, or sell it as-is and buy one the color I wanted.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Plus....it will also be worth more if you keep it the same factory code color it was painted when new.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
    gotta keep it original. Different color absolutely hurts the value.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,704
    edited April 2015
    Here's a question - how bad is the current paint? It' can be surprising how a good polish job will improve the paint's appearance.
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,279
    Is the car original otherwise? Hagerty only lists a 318 2 barrel with average value of 20.

https://www.hagerty.com/price-guide/1971-Dodge-Charger

I don't know that guide is accurate, but if it's a 20k car, I don't suppose that a 10% deduct would hurt too much if what you really want is a bad [non-permissible content removed] black Charger.

As far as painting it yourself, I'd imagine that most painters start on a grocery getter to get the hang of it before moving up to a classic car. It's very much an art.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    If it's not an R/T, but just a 318 coupe, I don't think a GOOD paint job in another color will affect value. I've seen some very good home-done paintjobs. Sure, you see a bit of dust or orange peel in the paint sometimes but really a paint job is dependent more upon how careful you are with the prep work. If you aren't a patient person, and you can't control the painting environment (that is, build your own plastic shrouded paint booth) it's probably not going to turn out great.

But as others have said, changing the paint color is no mean feat---you have to pull the engine, do the door jambs and trunk and if you don't pull out the glass and interior, it never seems to look right. I think the Charger looks good in yellow. Maybe you could add some black striping? Again, if it isn't an R/T, it's not worth all that much so changing a few things is no big deal. I think you can find clean "driver" quality 1971 Charger 318s for around $12,5K . Add $2.5K or so for a 383.