Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286

@28firefighter look for a mortgage place that has zero closing costs. We have a few in my area that I have used. Usually the rates are slightly higher but if you won't be there forever you can save money.

Check out bankrate.com They will list a bunch of different companies.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    @28firefighter - we just refinanced last month. Dropped our rate from 5.125% with PMI to 4.125% with no more PMI.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    I'll admit that with used prices being what they are these days the deals are making less sense. Not that it's exactly what I'd want but the most sense these days is buying a new CRV and continue to do that every two years.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    fezo said:

I'll admit that with used prices being what they are these days the deals are making less sense. Not that it's exactly what I'd want but the most sense these days is buying a new CRV and continue to do that every two years.

And when you do that calculate as best as you can;

* What a new car will cost you to drive per year (depreciation only), with a warranty and no repair costs.
    * Calculate how much it will cost to run your current car (depreciation cost) plus repairs.

The difference may be less than you thought. Also, it is like buying a house, it is a forced savings plan, you pay more because you get a new car sooner than necessary, but you won't be in for a huge shock when the price spread becomes huge.

In the meantime you get the latest safety and technological equipment.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432
    And of course, new cars are cool

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    fezo said:

Buying a used Prius is the exception to the rule. They depreciate big time and uninformed shoppers keep interest low. You did great.
    stickguy said:

And of course, new cars are cool

Yeh, and fun to go out and buy!

Usually the spread between a new car and a two year old car is pretty significant and if you're going to drive the car for 10 years the two year old car is virtually always the better buy. In the past few years of high used car prices that's not as sure a thing.

The Prius was a steal. Very little other than the odometer to indicate it's not new. Oh, and they don't make them in that blue anymore (too bad, because it's exactly the right color).

Meanwhile, an event that looks like it will hold up the car fund for a while. The drain on our washing machine seems to have sprung a good sized leak. This isn't a huge plumbing deal but we have to get a bunch of drywall removed to get access to it. In the meantime there's the laundromat. Up until now having the laundry upstairs worked so well...
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    fezo said:

If you play your cards right, you should be able to make money on this. If you follow the prices paid sub-forum for CR-Vs, and look at the asking prices for 2 year old models, there is a definite possibility of a profit margin.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    I'm thinking about such a move in a couple of years. If only they still made them with a stick.

Heck, even a Mazda CX5 can't be had with a stick and AWD.

Of course two years from now that $35K Tesla will be out there....
    Where'd everyone go? I was just going to moan about finding the first ding on the Prius.
    fezo said:

Where'd everyone go? I was just going to moan about finding the first ding on the Prius.

time to rejoice. After the first ding, you can relax.
    edited April 2015
    fezo said:

Things have been slow around here....you might as well tell us about the first ding :'(

edited April 2015
    I have composed my letter to Audi explaining how they lost the sale of a car to MB, because of their lack of customer satisfaction. My friend who bought the S4 said he was considering an Audi SUV for his wife which he will be buying soon...he said use my name and tell them we'll be getting another M Class.

I wrote a great letter, but I am not going to send it until our deal is all completed...just in case. If we need service I may get ignored having this on my record.

In the letter I told the president, that it costs 6 or 7X as much to gain a new client, as it does to retain a loyal client (some studies say 10X)

Here is the link for those who may be interested:
    IT TAKES 6 TO 7X AS MUCH MONEY TO GAIN A NEW CLIENT VS KEEPING A LOYAL ONE!

To gain a new customer there are advertising costs, possibly cash giveaways, special on site or off site promotions, salesman has to spend hours with many customers to gain a new one, then there is all the paperwork, filing, etc., COMPARED to a loyal customer who just walks through the door and trades in his car for a new one. Usually people move up in options or a model too, but, the new customer may start with a more basic model. Audi and any car company is foolish to lose a good customer when they could solve a problem fairly easily - and actually make even more money in the long run....another case of "false economizing".

First ding - it was actually there all along. I just happened to finally notice it. Little pebble sized things around the left rear wheel well. I think we'll live.
    fezo said:

First ding - it was actually there all along. I just happened to finally notice it. Little pebble sized things around the left rear wheel well. I think we'll live.

Look at the glass as half full.......now you don't have to worry about getting your first ding anymore.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    We offer grief counseling at Edmunds for this sort of thing. B)
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,162
    edited April 2015
    driver100 said:

I have composed my letter to Audi explaining how they lost the sale of a car to MB, because of their lack of customer satisfaction.

Good for you, Driver. I only wonder if they will understand a word you write. Some companies are completely impervious. I hope they will.

I recall having a transmission issue on the '03 WRX that resulted intermittent "rattle" in one of the gears. After I showed the issue to the tech during a short drive, he picked on my keeping my hand on the shifter between the shifts (mind you I did it in a light manner) and alleged that the whole issue was my fault. They took the car in, fixed it free of charge, but in the paperwork put an elaborate statement it was a "goodwill gesture" rather than a warranty issue. Goodwill my foot, but bottom line, it got fixed without me paying. What they accomplished though, is an improvement in their failure statistics, which was somewhat problematic for that model year. They redesigned the transmission for the next model year from mine, with everything same, but the affected gearset, the new components in my car were the one after the redesign. It was clear design issue, but Subaru simply took a "wait the issue out" approach to avoid a service action, still fixing what needed to be fixed in the meantime. A little sneaky, but the customers are happy, the statistics "improved" and once the cars reach certain age and mileage, Subaru can wash their hands from the rest of those that were not replaced.

If Audi did at least that much (on paper blame your wife for the clutch, but still fixed it as a "goodwill" gesture), they will keep their customer, perhaps even strengthen the relationship (as many reasonable people may say "perhaps it was me, but they are such nice people").

BTW, none of the manufacturers is free of those stories. My friend has a 2008 (edit: or perhaps it is 2010, I can't remember) C300 that suffered from some kind of issue with starter motor electronic control module that immobilized the vehicle. The issue is reportedly widespread for that vintage model. It's (if you can believe it) something like up to couple of grand to fix it, depending what exactly is the problem. The car is out of warranty, he researched the internet and learned MB handles those cases "individually", i.e. the outcomes are all over the place, from totally free repair, to deeply discounted, to full-price, simply refusing to issue a service action (which he claims they never do, unless it's a government-induced, err "voluntary" safety recall). He submitted his request for consideration and is waiting for their response.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    >The car is out of warranty, he researched the internet and learned MB handles those cases "individually",

Yep, the Secret Warranty.

(And I remember hearing that it was "bad" to rest your hand on the shifter back in the 80s. No idea if that was true).
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,162
    edited April 2015
    There is difference is between "design life" of a part and its warranty length. The design life means that a high percentage of those parts will not suffer a breakdown with proper maintenance and under normal operating conditions. That period is usually way past the warranty - that's why those extended warranty products are so profitable for the issuers and so eagerly sold to the public. However, sometimes there is an error in the manufacturing process or some other lapse that causes elevated failure rates of a certain component, which may fall all over the place. In other words, it becomes a luck of a draw, when one customer will see such a failure during the covered period, whereas another one will be struck after the magic line. A good company that suffers such situation would either issue a preventative service action for replacement, even if it's not a safety issue. A decent one would wait for people to show on their doorstep and then tell them "because we are such nice people, we will fix it without you putting a dime, or we will ask you to pay very little, depending when the failure actually occurred. Others will simply wash their hands and say "we were only legally obligated to help you until yesterday, so today fork over the money, or go away". The "Secret Warranty" is kind of in-between - you already paid up for our overpriced stuff and there is an indication you'll keep paying up, so they just let go some profit.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

You folks offer grief without the counseling as well. The whole truth, please.
    dino001 said:

driver100 said:

I have composed my letter to Audi explaining how they lost the sale of a car to MB, because of their lack of customer satisfaction.

Good for you, Driver. I only wonder if they will understand a word you write. Some companies are completely impervious. I hope they will.

I would be surprised if they even read one word of what I write, but I have to do it.....even though my wife doesn't want me too. If dealers make 8% on a car, Audi makes a bit, less my 4% discount, trade in a used car worth something to them, plus my friend won't be buying two Audi's.....and I may have influenced a few people I talk to and reached on Edmunds...they could be out $10000s of thousands of dollars over $1100.

On the Canadian News last night they talked about a new LG/Kenmore refrigerator that almost burned a house down because the interior light didn't shut off: Basic facts:

. Part of the interior of the family's LG refrigerator melted beyond repair due to a defect the manufacturer has known about for years.

"The cover for the light bulbs themselves — it was melted completely. It was all bubbled. You could see singe marks on the light bulbs and the housing. … We're concerned that could have ignited — to get that hot, to do that sort of damage."

Christine Hine called LG Canada's customer service.

Christine Hine says she is shocked there hasn't been a recall about a problem that has been known for 10 years. (CBC )

"[They] said that because they thought it was such a low incidence there was no safety recall. But when the repairman came he was well aware of the problem. He said he'd been repairing the problem for almost 10 years

In 2010, the Ontario Fire Marshal's Office put out a warning about the interior light bulbs in certain bottom mount, French-door LG refrigerator models and similar Sears' Kenmore refrigerator models, manufactured by LG between 2004 and 2007.

According to the fire marshal, approximately 145,000 affected refrigerators were sold in Canada through various major department stores.

In 2012, LG Electronics USA settled a class action lawsuit involving more than a dozen models with that potential defect built between February 2006 and February 2008. The Hines' fridge is one of those 2008 models mentioned in the class action.

It all has Christine Hine wondering why LG hasn't issued a recall.

"Given the fact that they knew there was a defect, and they failed to do a safety recall, they put our family and a lot of other families at risk," she said.

It seems most companies won't do a recall unless they are forced to do it, and that isn't right!

• thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,216
    jayrider said:
    LOL! :D
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
    I haven't even told my wife about the ding. It's really tiny.

Put in Husky floor and cargo mats. I expect this car to be around and looking good a long time.

I'm going to put a rubber mat in the back of the Mazda. I figure at 124K there's no use in tying to keep further wear in the passenger area but you never know what I'll toss in the back.
  • mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    Don't feel all alone. I dinged the Mustang about 3 weeks ago backing into a space and bumping a sign pole saying "Visitor Parking" Mark is on lower rear bumper about 1/4 by 1/16 th inch. Touch up paint will fix.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

My 6 months free of Sirius Radio expires May 10th, according to the friendly call I just got. They always ask me if I like Sirius and which stations I listen to...but I think the young lady calling has no idea what 5, 17 or 32 really are.

They are offering me a special, normally $240 a year now for $16 a month!

The most I ever paid was $92 a year. I told her it is worth $92 to me, but not any more than that. She hung up pretty quickly....I wonder if they will call back? Any bets?

once it deactivates they will send you mail (and emails) on a regular basis. yes, they will try you again.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well don't shoot the messenger B)
    thebean said:

jayrider said:

LOL! :D

stickguy said:

once it deactivates they will send you mail (and emails) on a regular basis. yes, they will try you again.

But, will they come down to my price of $92 a year?

I should tell them to cut to the chase - $92 a year or don't call back.

I take the E400 in this morning to have the storage compartment removed from the front passenger seat....or my wife won't drive to Florida with me.

It takes 2 hours, and costs $300! Apparently the whole seat has to come out...I thought about taking a hammer to it but...................

They wanted me to take a shuttle home so I booked it. Then I thought, I can read my newspaper and book in their lounge, get served coffee in a china cup, check out some of the cars, they even have a theatre there, so I cancelled the shuttle but they had to check to make sure there would be enough room for me in the lounge.

I was able to cancel the shuttle car, but, I always thought the dealer was doing me a big favor by taking me home and picking me up, but, it seems it is actually helping them! You learn something all the time.

BTW..........where's Mike? (and everyone else?)

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    driver100 said:

stickguy said:

I don't mean to sound sexist, but it seems the females are much more liable to cancel your service without offering you a price you can live with.

The last time I called a girl didn't want to budge on the price so I told her to cancel it. She was happy to do that. After a few minutes I called back and got a male. He offered the price I was looking for (I think it was $92, or real close to that). This has actually happened to me more than once.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    For me Sirius is bottoming out at 5 months for $20 with an auto-renew at "then-current rates". Of course what I don't want is an auto-renew clause so I haven't bitten.

We may renew on my wife's car before our summer vacation as it'll involve a couple thousand miles behind the wheel. But that's really her choice and right now she's content with music on a USB drive.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057
    The trial subscription on the Subaru runs out at the end of May. I've got the renewal notice sitting here waiting to be acted upon.

If I'm proactive and call them will I get a better deal?

Daughter let her trial subscription run out on the MINI - she uses her iPod for her music needs.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

venture said:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

I don't mean to sound sexist, but it seems the females are much more liable to cancel your service without offering you a price you can live with.

The last time I called a girl didn't want to budge on the price so I told her to cancel it. She was happy to do that. After a few minutes I called back and got a male. He offered the price I was looking for (I think it was $92, or real close to that). This has actually happened to me more than once.
    That was my experience too. When I paid the $92 the guy gave in very quickly. This lady was very friendly at first, but then just about hung up on me when I told her it was only worth about $90 to me.

Their rates seem to have gone up quite a bit too. I am thinking they may want to hold the line on pricing, they may consider it a premium product people will either pay for or not, but no bargain pricing anymore....that's the impression I got. I can live without Sirius, so the bottom line is for $10 a month max it's worth it to me.

fushigi said:

For me Sirius is bottoming out at 5 months for $20 with an auto-renew at "then-current rates". Of course what I don't want is an auto-renew clause so I haven't bitten.

We may renew on my wife's car before our summer vacation as it'll involve a couple thousand miles behind the wheel. But that's really her choice and right now she's content with music on a USB drive.

The only way I would do auto-renew is if it is in writing I can cancel after 5 months. No auto renew AT CURRENT RATES, that would be a license to steal.

I got the storage compartment removed from the passengers seat. They said it would take 2 hours and would cost about $300. I had to wait an hour and a half, and then he found me in the lounge and said he had some good news for me. It only took them half an hour and it cost just $80! WOW....how often does that happen.

I was sitting in the lounge which is a nice area, next to the cafe, in this all glass open concept showroom (this dealer was voted as one of the top 10 places to work in Canada in 2014), thinking how nice it is to be treated this way. The waiting area at the Chrysler dealer where I bought my 95 and 2000 Jeeps looked like a converted closet, with old cracked vinyl chairs, no windows, no light. It's almost a pleasure taking the car in for service these days. At BMW I had to make my own Kurig coffee and they got stingy on the pastries too....here they bring you coffee in a china cup and there are all kinds of fancy things you can get. For my $80 I also got a beautiful car wash including the interior......detailing and a Starbucks coffee could cost that much!

driver100 said:

I got the storage compartment removed from the passengers seat. They said it would take 2 hours and would cost about $300. I had to wait an hour and a half, and then he found me in the lounge and said he had some good news for me. It only took them half an hour and it cost just $80! WOW....how often does that happen.

The 2hours/$300 estimate was when they thought you would be at home. Once they realized that you were costing them money by waiting in the lounge, they wanted you out ASAP.

:)

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,934
    driver100 said:

I was sitting in the lounge which is a nice area, next to the cafe, in this all glass open concept showroom (this dealer was voted as one of the top 10 places to work in Canada in 2014), thinking how nice it is to be treated this way. The waiting area at the Chrysler dealer where I bought my 95 and 2000 Jeeps looked like a converted closet, with old cracked vinyl chairs, no windows, no light. It's almost a pleasure taking the car in for service these days. At BMW I had to make my own Kurig coffee and they got stingy on the pastries too....here they bring you coffee in a china cup and there are all kinds of fancy things you can get. For my $80 I also got a beautiful car wash including the interior......detailing and a Starbucks coffee could cost that much!

That is first class treatment. Once experienced you're spoiled for life..anything less is a let down. The Honda dealers around here are pretty competitive with each other. Typically they might have bottled water, donuts and such. Often nothing at all. If you get a car wash, it is just a drive thru, no detailing or dry off. Nothing like your Mercedes experience.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2015
    That's all well and good, but I'd rather a porter come pick up my car and leave a loaner. Even better would be an EV that only needed remote scanning occasionally and new tires every four years. (Last time I washed a car was 9 months ago - I think I was bored that day). Going to the dealer is a big time suck.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    driver100 said:

You were probably swilling down so much coffee and eating so many donuts that they became alarmed and decided they had to get you out of there !! Good technique.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    driver100 said:

fushigi said:

The only way I would do auto-renew is if it is in writing I can cancel after 5 months. No auto renew AT CURRENT RATES, that would be a license to steal.

Yeah, I imagine my wife won't want to pay. At the moment neither of us drives that much; she's just over 5K a year and I'm under 8K. So we're simply not in the cars for long enough to justify a recurring monthly expense for entertainment.

What Sirius should come out with are apps that for no more than $5/mo you get the same channels on your smartphone or tablet, which you can bluetooth-tether to your car. As the audio would be wherever I am, not just in my car, I'd be much more tempted to sign up.

I haven't mentioned that even when we had the service we still had problems finding stuff we wanted to listen to. Even our favorite channels would do artists we didn't like. Despite there being no (or few) commercials, Satellite radio suffers from the same "there's nothing good on" problem that land-based radio (and TV) has.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    My wife would be really mad if I took away her satellite radio. We do also like it for trips.

verdugo said:

driver100 said:

The 2hours/$300 estimate was when they thought you would be at home. Once they realized that you were costing them money by waiting in the lounge, they wanted you out ASAP.

:)

LOL

And, while I was waiting I sat in a canary yellow G Class. It looked really nice in yellow, and the interior looks really smart. Talk about good site lines, sitting really high over the hood, which has raised parking lights so you know exactly where the hood ends.

houdini1 said:

driver100 said:

You were probably swilling down so much coffee and eating so many donuts that they became alarmed and decided they had to get you out of there !! Good technique.

LOL.

That's why they wanted me to take the shuttle...they probably have a note about me in their file.

I just mark my calendar one year forward from the date the X-M service was renewed and call a day before to cancel. I have always gotten the promotion rate without any hassle.
    jayrider said:

I just mark my calendar one year forward from the date the X-M service was renewed and call a day before to cancel. I have always gotten the promotion rate without any hassle.

I did the same. Last time I did it the service rep said it was lucky I called in before the renewal date, then I could get the promotion rate.

I don't see a rate that could offered on their website, so they may not offer those low rates again.

On the other hand, the $300 storage bin removal cost me $80, so I am sure I am going to incurr an extra expense of $220 sometime soon - whenever I save on something it gets taken away anyway :'(

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    edited April 2015
    Interesting service experience, @driver100 . Meanwhile, my experience with the dealer where I leased the ATS and where I previously had gotten the 2011 Regal continues to be a bit of an adventure.

About a month ago, I got the monthly email from OnStar telling me the status of things. Included in that is an oil life monitor readout and an estimated date of next service. According to that I still had 60% oil life left and the next service was some time away. In my mind I knew that the end of April would mark 6 months of driving (though I drove it very little this winter) and I figured I would take it in then.

A few days later I get an email from a lady at the dealer telling me OnStar had indicated service was due and when did I want to bring it in? Also she mentioned there is an open recall on my car. That is true - the cover plate around the sunroof switches was deemed to be not giving enough recess for the switches so there is a new design that tucks them further into the plate - simply a nanny thing that I would just as soon not have them change, but no biggie.

I write her back and tell her that I want to bring it in later in April and also that I want to make sure they have the new plate in stock when I bring it in so I don't have to come back a second time. I get no response. This past weekend I sent her an email reminding her of my previous email and telling her when I would like to bring it in. Still no response. Yesterday I phoned her, and she said she was away on training until then, and would call me back. Still waiting.

I am starting to wonder again about this place. I do know I won't be getting coffee in china cups or complimentary pastries.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

My Buick dealer likes to shorten the oil change intervals but I just wait until the monitor is almost to the reminder thingy. She is working on probation and wants to show she can generate business.I get my work done at the local Cadillac dealer. Talked to a salesman who has been there 4 years and he is second in seniority. When you look at their website it looks like they only have two salesman. He said that turnover is so bad that they don't waste their time putting any new stall on the page. Your customer service rep may be gone already.
    jayrider said:

I create a reminder in my Google calendar as soon as I renew service. I then don't have to remember when to call to "cancel." I get an automatic reminder from Google.
    ab348 said:

I am starting to wonder again about this place. I do know I won't be getting coffee in china cups or complimentary pastries.

If Cadillac wants to change their image they should offer some specialty food items.....maybe little hors d'oeuvres or something.

I will say the service department is very efficient and courteous at this MB dealer. I think if I was treated the way you have been I would see if another dealer is better with their service.......but, as you know, I have a low threshold for incompetence.