Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

How to Change Your Oil Video | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2015 in General
imageHow to Change Your Oil Video | Edmunds.com

One of the cornerstones of DIY car maintenance jobs is the how to change your oil and oil filter.

Read the full story here

Comments

• redgeminiparedgeminipa Member Posts: 74
    Could you do it on a more... um... mainstream vehicle? It's more common to jack up the vehicle, as well as more cars have a screw on filter opposed to a filter cartridge.

Good video in general, but not a video I'd use as reference to teach a broad audience how to change oil.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    There are several other videos available from that link. There was cringe-worthy scene during the tire change one when the actor slid his hand beneath the tire when trying to demonstrate how high to jack the car. NEVER put any part of your body below the car, or its tires unless it is truly properly supported! (real jack, AND jack stands) A jack isn't safe enough to take any risks like that whether it is a professional one or especially the vehicle's tire jack.

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I once saw some guy under his car that was supported by cinder blocks!

I don't trust Chinese Harbor Freight jack stands either!
    Guess he doesn't know the definition of "cinder" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinder
  • actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    We'll do another with a spin-on filter hung underneath, but these cartridges are becoming very common on mainstream new vehicles.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

There have been a number of shops surprised by a trap with the cartridge style filters. The with some manufacturers the original O-ring was designed and intended to be used for the lifetime of the cap. The aftermarket replacements must be changed with each service or else they leak. The trap is knowing that you aren't supposed to replace the O-ring but once someone has then you need to replace it.

There is another aspect of the video that should be addressed. The torque of the cap. Being these are phenolic (plastic) the torque is very critical and should not be guessed at. The cap really should be tightened with a torque wrench to ensure that it hasn't been over-tightened which leads to difficulty in removing it in the future and ultimately a failure of the assembly.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

Guess he doesn't know the definition of "cinder" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinder

Well, cinder blocks are what everybody called them at least in California.
  • mittzombiemittzombie Member Posts: 162

There are several other videos available from that link. There was cringe-worthy scene during the tire change one when the actor slid his hand beneath the tire when trying to demonstrate how high to jack the car. NEVER put any part of your body below the car, or its tires unless it is truly properly supported! (real jack, AND jack stands) A jack isn't safe enough to take any risks like that whether it is a professional one or especially the vehicle's tire jack.

You got that right, I went to school with a kid who watched his dad get crushed under his car. Messed the kid up for life.

I once saw some guy under his car that was supported by cinder blocks!

I don't trust Chinese Harbor Freight jack stands either!

The compression strength of concrete is over 100,000 pounds per square inch...
    edited April 2015
    OIl and filter = 20 dollars at Bennys

A real oil change at the local Sullivan Tire = 27 bucks with the usual 7 dollar coupon online

Not worth 7 bucks to jack up my car or put it up on ramps, change the oil and then dispose of it.

It would barely be worth it if I still had the Cutlass 442 I could slide under....

Just never go to a Jiffy lube type place, they just vacuum out the oil and never get it all. I went once in a pinch and my oil was still dirty after...

Just never go to a Jiffy lube type place, they just vacuum out the oil and never get it all. I went once in a pinch and my oil was still dirty after...

But the experts have tried to tell consumers that they should do it that way!!!
    http://www.edmunds.com/how-to/the-top-down-oil-change.html

• hlislehlisle Member Posts: 8
    Better to search on youtube for your specific model. My VW diesel is very different... I also found out how to fix my German dishwasher (Bosch) on youtube... Amazing...
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    FWIW I do it both ways.