Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Radio Reset - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2014 in Volkswagen
imageRadio Reset - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

There might be an electronic Gremlin in our new 2015 Volkswagen GTI.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    Oh man, that would get annoying.
  • expensivehobbyexpensivehobby Member Posts: 91
    Sounds like a glitch. Then again, the nav radios in the other VWs you have tested were sloggy as well. One of the reasons (also aluminum trim over the bad fake wood) we ended up with a Passat SE, without the Nav. Radio, streaming, satellite all work great.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    That has to be a glitch. Who turns off the radio manually before shutting off the car?
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Me. I also turn off the wipers, heated seats, before shutting off the car. I don't automatically assume I'm going to want those things on when I get back into the car, and I don't know why anyone would.

But this does sound weird.

And Chris Walton, you don't hypenate "shut-off" in this usage.
  • nagantnagant Member Posts: 176
    Gee I am STUNNED to hear of an electrical "glitch" in a German car! Because every day auto sites tell us how superior they are! How could the truth be anything but?
  • dgcamerodgcamero Member Posts: 148
    I think I read this has something to do with HD radio being selected? If you don't use HD radio it's supposedly not an issue...but either way, it's a glitch. I would assume they'll hopefully have a software update soon. I'm guessing it won't be as easy as updating MyFordTouch, or Tesla's automatic updates, and it'll require a trip to the dealer.

Either way, it's reason to wait and look forward to AndroidAuto or Apple CarPlay (hopefully consumers will have a very easily swappable choice, since both Google and Apple are being ridiculous and are making their in car systems CLOSED to the other mobile OS, though at least Android Auto is supposed to allow iOS users to use their music player and iOS messaging, unlike Apple CarPlay with the inverse).
  • cc92078cc92078 Member Posts: 1
    It's happening to me in my 2015 GTI SE (no nav). I figured it was because the reception for my 89.5 npr station was too fuzzy.
  • dinoterroristdinoterrorist Member Posts: 1
    Same thing happens to me. I have the S trim 2015 gti. When i shut off the engine, it feels like i'm abruptly shutting off the power. Like if i'm doing a hard shutdown on say, a computer, without allowing it time to shut itself down. Sometimes the right windshield wiper will also lift up a few inches when i shut down the car, which is another reason why i feel something is not right with the circuits.
  • kesslerpeakkesslerpeak Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2015 Golf SportWagen SE, also have head unit gremlins. If I leave my iPhone 5 plugged in and head unit on when I shut down the car, when I start it back up head unit will reboot, sometimes continuously until I unplug the phone (I'm using an Apple 30 pin to Lightning adapter since car VWs still dont have USB, ugh!).
  • nplattnplatt Member Posts: 2
    Have had my 2016 VW Golf Wagon ( Canadian version) with 1.8 litre engine for about 3 months. Two small but annoying issues: wind noise coming from drivers side. And when I fill my car with gas, it stops at about 3/4 full. I then have to carefully add the remaining 10 litres ( about 3 gallons). Went for service but they wanted $112.00 just to look at warranty work. Is this normal? Had to,walk away. Thanks.