Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord vs. Toyota Camry vs. Volkswagen Passat

1293031323335»

Comments

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Here's the best place to continue this conversation: ashwinkumar96, "Honda Accord vs Toyota Camry" #2784, 13 Oct 2008 9:01 pm.
  • ctozyctozy Member Posts: 5
    Hi ladies and gents,
    Thanks in advance for your inputs.

I am in the market for either a '08 Passat Komfort or '08 Accord EX-L w/ nav. Here are offers from dealers excl doc fee & tax:
    * VW: $25,200
    * Honda: $25,250

Passat rides great and the engine seems to effortlessly accelerate to 70 - 80mph on highway. Good brakes and comfortable interior design and space.

Accord rides pretty ok but engine revs higher at similar speed. It seems to require more effort to reach 70 - 80mph. Brakes are good and interior is roomy and simple. Nav is a good tool but its locale is somewhat odd and tough to see in sunlight.

What do you see as plus and minus for each car? I'm on the fence.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Assuming the Accord is the 4-cylinder, it has a history of much better reliability than Volkswagen models. The cost of maintenance will likely be lower on the Honda than on the VW also.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Okay, my mother has an 08 Jetta SE, She loves it! I love it! It is torquey. Gets decent mileage. Most of all, it is a fun car! This is her second lease, and have had no problems at all with them. The maintenance will be a bit higher, but really not too comparable. Now, realize the Accord is geared for more economy, and the Honda engine is awesome, but the VW engine is sportier, with the manual shift mode, and more torquey in the lower range. Both Accord and VW are great engines. I certainly think you cannot go wrong with either. The VW seems to hold its value quite well too.

Based on my review of the passat- i
    Classy exterior- I love it! the cobalt blue is amazing!
    Roomy interior- a little odd, but nice.
    Door panels are a little plain, and plasticky. Hard looking.
    weird seats, seemed too big, for me.
    Drove amazing-strong pull.

I really liked the car, it was fun! The is what VW wants!

Other than the average interior, it is a very nice car.

The Accord:
    Nice exterior- more conservative.
    Sweet, classy interior fit and finish
    Strong engine-geared for more economy, but still sporty enough.
    Alot of dash buttons, some like it, some don't

I love it!

You simply cannot go wrong with either, drive what makes you happy! Ask yourself which gives you that! Then pick it. The new Passat CC is very sharp too. though only seats 4. I try to sneak in a drive in my moms 08 Jetta, and love it, I get wowed by the engine pull, I actually squealed the tires...lol I wasnt even trying to do it either. I was like WOW! It does have 5cyl. If I got a VW I would get the Jetta Wolfsburg with the 2.0T FUN FUN!!
  • guntherhopsguntherhops Member Posts: 21
    I love my '05 Accord, but a couple of things are making me think twice about another Accord:
    1) It's noisy on the highway - I drive mostly interstate between Pennsylvania and NYC. I-78 is rough, constantly being repaired, and it's hard to hear the fabulous tunes on satellite radio over the noise Accord lets in.
    2) Honda makes you get leather seats if you want Sat Radio. I'm tired of leather - hot in the summer, and cold in the winter.
    3) I've gotten used to a smooth V6 - does the VCM in the new Accord present potential maintenance problems? Sounds complicated.
    Questions about Camry:
    1) Is it as quiet as they say?
    2) Would a 4 cylinder be enough? I'm no speed demon, and if I heard some groaning on those rare occasions I had to floor it after going thru a toll booth or entering the highway, well, I could deal with that. But does the 4 strain like some rental cars I've had?
    3) Can you get satellite radio without leather?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    The '09 Camry 2.4 L 4 cylinder does not have the most horsepower, but it has a lot more useful torque than other cars. I have seen tests where it does very well in 0-60. My '07 2.4 L 5 speed manual is plenty quick for a 4. But the 2010 Camry that is being shipped to dealers right now has a new 2.5 L 4 cylinder with a 6 speed manual or automatic transmission. Quicker and more fuel efficient!
    I am not sure if you still you have to get the leather to get the satellite radio. I think you might be able to on the EX. I know this is a bit off subject, but the satellite seems to be dumped with ads now! Its horrible.

The VCM has been used in the Odyssey van for years, Some say they can feel the car switch gears in the Accord. Its a matter of opinion if its a bad thing or not. I have never driven one, my co-worker has not said anything about it on his 08 V6 Accord.

The Accord is still somewhat noisy, but they Accord has always been a bit noisy.
    It is not as serene as the Toyota. I am not sure if they are doing this on purpose or just forgot to consider sound dampening.

The 4cyl will be enough, Honda makes 1 of the best 4cyl engines out there. You had an Accord as a rental, I hope you didn't. I have an 08 4cyl GM car and its nothing like the 4cyl accord. I truly miss the Honda engine. Its no race car, but its more refined, more torque. Depending on what your used to, the 4cyl should be just fine for you.

I took my 06 Accord 4cyl to Florida carrying 5 people, luggage, it certainly did better in mileage, torque, overall refinement and power.
    I took my 08 G6 4cyl, 5 people, luggage, to florida, and it did okay, but the transmission was quite glitchy, up and down all the time, lacked a bit in power when going through Tennessee, alabama. The torque wasn't really there. The mileage was worse, not by too much, but you can notice. I am sure the 4spd auto in the car plays a role in the mileage too. I preferred, I missed the refinement of the Accord on the trip.

I know we are here to compare the Accord, Camry, Passat, but wanted to give a comparison of what I felt from the accord versus another 4cyl. The Accord, Passat, Camry are probably going to have more power, refinement than my G6. They have better technology and are more up to date.
    The Passat is going to have the most power in the 4cyl.

My advice, is get something you truly love from the beginning. You'll be much happier. :)

Good Luck!
  • es8360es8360 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I was reading your questions, and I felt like giving you my two cents. We have an 08 accord with 20000 miles and an 06 passat with 60000. I prefer the VW Passat by a long shot. It's solid, fast, stable, and fun in the twisties. The interior quality of the passat also feels better, and not barely a squeak. In comparison our accords engine is noisy, smooth, but noisy, rougher ride, imperfections in the road cause rattles in the interior, interior quality is nice but the VW's is better. Just feels tinny in comparion. Drives nice enough, but the VW's engine is smoother (2.0t) and stronger in all situations :)....I would go with the VW all the way. the driving experience is just that much more rewarding. and right now they have the carefree maintenance. I've been thinking of getting rid of my accord and getting another passat or a CC. The VW's feel like solid cars, while the accord feels like a souless appliance with less comfort than the passat. the accord does have a bit more room, in case that's a concern.
    The VW Passat is a very nice car. It performs very well. The fun factor is much higher than that of an Accord. VW has always aimed at more performance, rather Accord seems more on the practical side. I did almost lease an 08 Passat. It was a very cool blue color, however I just did not like the harsh black interior. The seats were weird looking. Just didn't seem as inviting. Almost didn't look like it went well with the very classy looking exterior.

I love VW, I also have an 08 Jetta and it is so much fun!

The VW CC interior is MUCH better than the regular passat's interior. But lacks a rear middle seat which is removed for overall appeal and concept. I need a middle seat occasionally.

Soon, I will be looking at the Accord, TSX and perhaps the new CC.

Honda really needs to add more fun to the Accord, because when compared to other cars now in its class, it is falling a bit behind. If Honda used the coupe concept for the sedan, then it would work out better. Look and appeal better.
  • imscfimscf Member Posts: 34
    I believe that there is about a 5K difference in price between the Accord and the Passat, similarly equipped-- Passat the more expensive to buy and to insure.
  • flightsimmerflightsimmer Member Posts: 15
    2 months ago test drove a 2013 Accord Sport. Pretty enjoyable experience. Just test drove a 4cyl 2013 Camry SE. Felt meh, for lack of a better word. Not very zippy; just kind of like a stiffer family sedan (my 2005 camry se is at least as much fun to drive IMO). Has anyone compared a 2013 Accord LX to a 2013 Camry SE? Just wondering.
  • togrovetogrove Member Posts: 25
    I test drove a 2013 VW Passat 2.5L and a TDI 2.0L. The specs say the Passat 2.5L has 170hp and 177 lbs/ft torque, while the TDI 2.0L has 140hp and 236 lbs/ft torque. The specs show TDI 2.0L having lower hp but higher torque. Between the Passat 2.5L and TDI 2.0L, which one will feel more powerful? Which one will get 0-60 quicker?
  • 4myfamily4myfamily Member Posts: 16
    Hi, I did test drive the Camry SE right after I tested the Honda.
    My personal opinion, the accord wins by far. I did not even want to hear all the good stuff that it has. Have not said that, it is personal Preference , both cars are reliable, good luck
  • 4myfamily4myfamily Member Posts: 16
    Hi all,
    Any one has compared the EXL with comparable Passat ?
    Thanks
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    You need to drive them back to back yourself. My experience was that from 0 to 30, I found the TDI more responsive, but after that, the 2.5 was a bit better. From 50 to 70, I found both of them slow, with the TDI the weakest. Just about anything in that category (Accord, Camry, Mazda6) was quicker for mid-range, or highway passing.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    My feelings exactly. Accord is so much nicer driving than Camry. We wrote it off immediately. Never drove the Passat this time around. Our other comparo was the Nissan Altima. That was a harder choice.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • jj_thompson1jj_thompson1 Member Posts: 1

Hi all:)

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311

Hey jjthompson1: welcome. Are you comparing these three cars?

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    I think that the new 2015 Camry LE and SE have beaten the Accord in many ways. What do you think?
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    edited April 2015
    I have to get past the front end, but I agree that the Camry has improved. It also gives you more choice than the Honda by offering the sportier riding SE or the softer riding LE and XLE. But I think the Accord and Camry are kind of different cars. Either way, I don't think you'll go wrong. Neither is necessarily eye candy in my view, but both are very competent and reliable rides. Now fulfilling the topic title, I think the new Passat looks a little bland, but it appears to have improved reliability. Don't know about their dealer network and attitudes though.
  • allycyatallycyat Member Posts: 58
    Honda Hands Down…IMO
  • oparroparr Member Posts: 74
    Camry has 24 months free maintenance and roadside assistance, what's Honda offering these days in that area?
    You realize that's like 2 oil changes.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Yes, what Toyota is offering is of little value. Nothing is ever free so ask them if they will reduce the price of the car if you forgo the "free" maintenance and the roadside assistance that you would probably never use.
    You realize that's like 2 oil changes.

The only way that makes sense is if you're treating a new car like an "old broke" where forced maintenance and "Jack of all makes" mechanics are the order of the day. Typical of Honda owners I guess.
    Newer cars now go several thousand miles between oil changes. On my Accord the Maintenance Minder came on at 9500 miles; second one at 17000. Toyota, Nissan are similar. Has nothing to do with Honda.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere

Yes, what Toyota is offering is of little value. Nothing is ever free so ask them if they will reduce the price of the car if you forgo the "free" maintenance and the roadside assistance that you would probably never use.

You sell Hondas? Well, if that means you're a Honda dealer then guess what, Toyota dealers are making more money than you. Heck, I haven't had my Camry for 6 months yet and the dealer has called me twice telling me my service is overdue...you know why?

Furthermore, when you do go in for service they try to treat you like "god", at the end they go through the inspection list (12 points every 5000 miles or 6 months) and tell you everything they did and how much it would normally cost. All for free. And yes, when JD Power comes along with their surveys, you're tempted to participate and say something good. That my friend is just another reason why Camry outsells Accord. I'm on my fourth since '97. A word to the myopic should be sufficient.

• ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    I own a 2013 camry, and I'm really not trying to come off as biased here, but the new Camry... how is this a better looking car than the previous years? I have no doubt the interior instrumentation is much better. .. I have a mpg gauge on mine that's pretty much pointless. .. but the exterior of the 2015 I don't find all that attractive. Of course none of these three cars are as good looking as the Mazda 6. And as far as the accord, get a blind spot indicator light on the side mirrors for crying out loud. Am I nuts?
    suydam said:

Newer cars now go several thousand miles between oil changes. On my Accord the Maintenance Minder came on at 9500 miles; second one at 17000. Toyota, Nissan are similar. Has nothing to do with Honda.

The Camry's maintenance guide, from Toyota and comes with the car, indicates a minimum maintenance interval of 5000 miles or 6 months. It also states that the oil maintenance minder be reset every 5000 miles by the dealer. But that's not the only thing that takes place with the service, there is also tire rotation, inspections and comprehensive fluids checks and top-ups.

Going 9500 miles would be like 3 years at the rate my wife drives (her Camry is 20 years old), so ignoring the time factor would be somewhat silly on the part of those who use that alone to determine service intervals. Also, unless you're doing your own top-ups or depending on full service gas stations (not recommended, they often overfill to sell more), you're probably depending on low level gauges as reminders as well.

Has nothing to do with Honda

I was referring to a possible Honda owner's mindset which your post seems to substantiate.