Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Best Fix for Chrome Wheel Rash - 2015 Kia K900 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2015 in Kia
imageBest Fix for Chrome Wheel Rash - 2015 Kia K900 Long-Term Road Test

Nearly 15,000 miles of spirited driving has resulted in some minor damage to our 2015 Kia K900's chrome wheels.

Read the full story here

Comments

• fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Gerat it done professionally. Looks like you have a staffer who drives using the Braille method.
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    edited April 2015
    All of my cars have absolutely zero scratches on the wheels. And none of them are less than 7 years old. If this Kia was my car, given it's so new and still a "nice" car, I'd get it professionally fixed.
  • chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    schen72 said:

All of my cars have absolutely zero scratches on the wheels. And none of them are less than 7 years old. If this Kia was my car, given it's so new and still a "nice" car, I'd get it professionally fixed.

I definitely agree. Even if the vehicle was older and not as nice, I'd still leave it to a professional. Using chrome touch-up paint might sound like a good enough idea, but unless it's a close match and is applied very precisely, it could end up standing out more than the original scrape. Plus, I doubt it will stand up well over time.

I've seen a lot of wheels that have been professionally refinished and you'd never be able to tell that they had curb rash to begin with. Refinishing has gotten cheaper and better in recent years, so IMO it's worth the higher cost in comparison to touch-up fixes.
  • dgcamerodgcamero Member Posts: 148
    Do they make a Dr Colorchip for rims? If so it'd fix that spot to 90% perfect for $50. It's usually at least 3x more for refurbishing once you add tax, and tire dismounting and remounting.
  • goaterguygoaterguy Member Posts: 64
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    Odd looking damage. Why would it be black? Sure it's not something deposited on the rim? And are you sure they're chrome, and not polished alloy?