Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Can't beat straight up 91 for where you're going. We have friends in Lee and the route I described is perfect for that. Also for visiting my brother in Portland. Were it not so blasted cold up there I could easily live up that way.

Last night indeed made up for a lot of things. Gee really showed something. The Mets are in a happy dilemma on starting pitching. They need to either get someone that can both play shortstop and hit or keep replenishing the farm system if they decide to trade Gee. Be interesting to see which Montero shows up.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Sorry - I edited my post once I went back and saw you said Keene earlier.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,429
    robr2 said:

Bradd - I'm not trying to push my advice on you. It's just so fresh in my mind that I want to share it with someone just starting out. The years go by so fast and then BAM, it's on you.

I was serious. I do appreciate your sound advice. It means a lot. I'm 39 and have learned a lot (and continue to do so) from you guys who have A LOT more experience at this thing called life than I do.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I can give you great advice in the "don't do what I did" school of thought...

Actually we're doing something that I'm really looking forward to - putting solar on the house. We will be buying a 7 kw system and should break even when I turn 70 which is far too close for my comfort and from there on it's free electricity. The let them have the roof and charge less that the electric company didn't look as good to me. Now if only Tesla's house battery can fit into the equation... Suddenly electric heat would make sense but I've got a perfectly good gas system now.

I'm 64 and learn a lot here myself. Important things like never ask stick if you should buy a new car.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2015
    My solar project is on hold for a few months (and my supplier is booked through late June now anyway). Hope Elon's announcement makes economic sense. We're still vacillating between a 15kw and 20 kw system. I figure an 8 year payback, minimum. Hm, I'll be 71 then....

In car news, I'm supposed to buy a truck for a friend this afternoon. Luckily it's parked at the shop of the mechanic who did the inspection so I don't have to deal with driving it until my friend buses over from Texas tomorrow night to pick it up. I eyeballed it (and the seller) last week and my bud did the deal after the PPI, with a little help from Shifty. Meeting at my bank to exchange paperwork and keys.

The seller was a no-show at the initial PPI drop-off, so I'm still slightly dubious.
    15 to 20 kw? What the heck are you doing with all of that? You have an electric chair or something?
    edited April 2015
    Oh, doh. I meant 15 to 20 panels. 20 would be pushing your 7 number iirc. We don't want to wind up giving excess to the utility since they aren't paying squat for it.

(A hot tub would be nice however).
    Ah. That's more like it. In theory 7 kw would cover us. Am hoping to at one point get one of those Tesla house batteries and make all my own electricity.
    fezo said:

Ah. That's more like it. In theory 7 kw would cover us. Am hoping to at one point get one of those Tesla house batteries and make all my own electricity.

Solar City has been offering the Tesla battery for a while now. Looks like they are going to open it up to other solar companies - provided the gigafactory actually comes on-line.
    My experience with Solar City wasn't terribly pleasant. He was like the car salesman (no one in here, thanks) that is more determined to show how much he knows everything and you don't than he is to make a sale. The Trinity Solar guy was much better and they didn't do things like ding my credit score with a hard inquiry before signing like the Solar City guy did.
  • stever said:

Oh, doh. I meant 15 to 20 panels. 20 would be pushing your 7 number iirc. We don't want to wind up giving excess to the utility since they aren't paying squat for it.

(A hot tub would be nice however).

20 kW caught my attention, too. Only certain Colorado entrepreneurs taking advantage of our new cannibas laws would need something that large :)

We installed 18 panels at 265 watts each.
    Did you buy or let them put their panels on your house?
  • We purchased ours.
    We're purchasing ours. Assuming I live a half a dozen years or more I'll get free electricity in the long run and cheaper in the shorter run. If I don't live that long then I can't complain...
    Well, if you stay connected to the grid, that free electricity will likely cost you an infrastructure fee in a few years and it could turn out to be significant.

Talking to our off grid friends tonight - they splurged on their lead acid batteries and can go 5 cloudy days on stored power. They are going to sell their backup generator since they never use it. The neighbors who cheaped out with marine or car or golf cart batteries are lucky to get a half day of juice. It Elon's lithium home deal is affordable enough, they want to get two of them.
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    fezo said:

We're purchasing ours. Assuming I live a half a dozen years or more I'll get free electricity in the long run and cheaper in the shorter run. If I don't live that long then I can't complain...

FREE electricity! You don't think the government will find a way to tax the wind or sun?

They'll have to replace that revenue somehow.....if they don't get it one way they will get it another.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    I've looked into solar electricity but they said they would have to cut down two mature trees to let in more sunlight. Unfortunately, that is not an option since that would take away the ambience of suburban living.

However, in my Caribbean home I have solar hot water, which works great, but going all the way to produce solar electricity is prohibitively expensive; for that, perhaps a wind turbine might be the way to go, but there is a lot of push back from the utility company with respect to alternative forms of electricity generation.
    driver100 said:

fezo said:

FREE electricity! You don't think the government will find a way to tax the wind or sun?

They'll have to replace that revenue somehow.....if they don't get it one way they will get it another.

Well there are not any taxes on my electric bill so there are not any to replace.

In my case, the town may get additional real estate tax revenue as solar panels INCREASE the value of the house.
    robr2 said:

driver100 said:

fezo said:

Well there are not any taxes on my electric bill so there are not any to replace.

In my case, the town may get additional real estate tax revenue as solar panels INCREASE the value of the house.
    No taxes on your electric bill..............YET!

When more people turn to solar how will the government make up the shortfall?

The money has to come from somewhere..................... :'(

edited April 2015
    driver100 said:

robr2 said:

driver100 said:

fezo said:

If there aren't any taxes on my electric bill today what is the shortfall that has to be made up?

Heck - my state will PAY me to put in solar panels.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    driver100 said:

robr2 said:

driver100 said:

fezo said:

I propose that anyone who owns 2 Mercedes Benz automobiles pays a special electric shortfall tax. ;)
    My state will underwrite some of my electric production once things are going and it's a $5,000 federal tax credit for the installation. No tax on the installation as it's a capital improvement.

Indeed the money for your town, county, state and country have to come from somewhere. If you want government service taxes are part of it. As Oliver Wendell Holmes said, "taxes are the price we pay for civilization."
  • mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    Must be nice getting tax credits with your itemized tax form. I paid cash for my house and receive no such federal tax credit (even if I had a 20 megawatt solar unit and 12 windmills) since I can't itemize.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

mako1a said:

Must be nice getting tax credits with your itemized tax form. I paid cash for my house and receive no such federal tax credit (even if I had a 20 megawatt solar unit and 12 windmills) since I can't itemize.

You don't need to itemize in order to take advantage of the tax credit. It's a tax credit, not a deduction. It goes right on line 53 of form 1040.
    edited April 2015
    Here it would be a $7000 state/fed credit. One solar salesman called it a tax break for the rich. That's about the size of it. The utilities must be "uber" nervous.
    robr2 said:

driver100 said:

robr2 said:

driver100 said:

fezo said:

If there aren't any taxes on my electric bill today what is the shortfall that has to be made up?

Heck - my state will PAY me to put in solar panels.
    You're joking right? The government is giving you a tax break for now, but, the day will come when the shortfall from solar energy will be too great, and then they will find a new way to tax you. It may be a Federal Sales Tax, it might be a solar panel luxury tax, but I would guaranty you will pay more tax somewhere along the line.

jayrider said:

driver100 said:

robr2 said:

driver100 said:

fezo said:

I propose that anyone who owns 2 Mercedes Benz automobiles pays a special electric shortfall tax. ;)
    LOL....but, I shouldn't have to pay additional tax because someone with solar panels is paying less tax. That person still needs roads, police, firemen etc., they can just charge him more State Tax etc. Life goes on, and taxes have to be collected, one way or the other.

fezo said:

Indeed the money for your town, county, state and country have to come from somewhere. If you want government service taxes are part of it. As Oliver Wendell Holmes said, "taxes are the price we pay for civilization."

Taxes are a necessity...the price we pay for civilization....but, they would be less if there wasn't so much waste.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,547
    added solar actually helps out the utilities now. they get additional generating capacity (what gets sold back to them) with no investment on their part. Building power plants is expensive!

I assume though that solar users will just get hit with a bigger access charge for the privilege of being connected to the grid. Now, the people out in sun country with big enough batteries that can be completely disconnected, that sounds great! i do wonder what happens when the batteries are full. where does the excess electricity generated go?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited April 2015
    My guess is that the inverter just shuts the juice down. Then there's my friend who wants to go solar and skip the inverters and buy all DC lights and appliances. Can just imagine the savings retrofitting an existing house with that wiring. Oh, and our off-grid Taos friends have added a "home brew" composting toilet, yet they still seem pretty normal all in all. :)
    stever said:

My guess is that the inverter just shuts the juice down. Then there's my friend who wants to go solar and skip the inverters and buy all DC lights and appliances. Can just imagine the savings retrofitting an existing house with that wiring. Oh, and our off-grid Taos friends have added a "home brew" composting toilet, yet they still seem pretty normal all in all. :)

Remind me.............if I am down that way, not to stay at their place.

edited April 2015
    If one is generating so much energy that they can't store it all - we salute you.

As for increasing the connection charge, here in Massachusetts the power companies are compelled by regulation to invest in alternative energy. Increasing connection charges on their sources of supply (customer solar installs that generate power) would most likely be looked down upon by the regulators.
    edited April 2015
    @driver100, they have "regular" plumbing inside. All their water comes from a roof catchment system and gets stored in a couple of 1500 gallon cisterns. But the privy will save a bit of water. It's an great place to stay - mountain views and amazing light (he's a pro photog).

@robr2, there's a big fight going on in Florida right now that features the Tea Party working with the Sierra Club to change the state constitution to basically permit rooftop solar. (link and link). That's the notable example but plenty of other states are under fee pressure by the utilities to try to kill the economics of solar. But talk about strange bedfellows - it's like Chevy and Ford fans getting together.
    stever said:

@driver100, they have "regular" plumbing inside. All their water comes from a roof catchment system and gets stored in a couple of 1500 gallon cisterns. But the privy will save a bit of water. It's an great place to stay - mountain views and amazing light (he's a pro photog).

That sounds OK...better than our son the conservationist. Tries to use the toilet as little as possible to save....I don't know what exactly, water maybe?

Sirius called last week to renew when my trial offer is over May 10th. I declined of course at $175.89 a year!

Got a special offer in the mail, $79.96. With tax and licence fees it climbed to $121 a year. I did have a cap of $10 a month, but I'll let it go for the extra $1 over budget. It is worth $10 a month, $2.50 a week, 35 cents a day..........................to me................

jayrider said:

driver100 said:

robr2 said:

driver100 said:

fezo said:

lol.........What about a combo like a Mercedes and an Audi for example....would they be exempt?

@stever

I had read about the Tea Party and Sierra Club working together in Florida. I can understand the need for revenue to support the grid. It's unfortunate that utility lobbyists in states like Florida can wield such power over government.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    All this wouldn't be necessary if architects would design smaller and more intelligent homes to begin with. You know, with big garages and tiny bedrooms :D
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    driver100 said:

Sirius called last week to renew when my trial offer is over May 10th. I declined of course at $175.89 a year!

Got a special offer in the mail, $79.96. With tax and licence fees it climbed to $121 a year. I did have a cap of $10 a month, but I'll let it go for the extra $1 over budget. It is worth $10 a month, $2.50 a week, 35 cents a day..........................to me................

Compare that to the ~$60/yr. I'm paying with the promotional rate. To me, I don't think it is that great and worth over $100 per year.
    carnaught said:

driver100 said:

Compare that to the ~$60/yr. I'm paying with the promotional rate. To me, I don't think it is that great and worth over $100 per year.
    That plan isn't available in Canada.....but, the way our dollar has gone, $60 US is worth about $120 Cdn.

Actually our dollar sunk when the price of oil sunk, it went from being worth about 96 cents to the US dollar down to 78 cents, and has worked it's way up to 83 cents. I think our taxes are more 13% and the license fees are probably more too. I don't think I would be allowed to apply for US Sirius, but, if I don't like the deal I get next year I will give it a try.

Our Florida VW dealer sent a clever ad. They will give us $3500 over Black Book Value on a new VW. They say our 2013 Passat (2 1/2 yrs old) is worth $14570 but they will give us $18070 for it. Pretty good since it cost $23000 2 1/2 years ago. I wonder if they will discount the new one....probably not!

They'll also give me $15 just to go in...$5 for coming in, $10 for taking a test drive. If I was there I would go in and collect the $5 but not go for a test drive B)

I liked it when your dollar was around 60 cents. Made for way cheap Ontario vacations...
    fezo said:

I liked it when your dollar was around 60 cents. Made for way cheap Ontario vacations...

So did Lee Travino. He was in a shop at his hotel and he used a $10 bill (U.S.) to buy a $3 (Cdn) magazine. When he got his change he got back about $11 (Cdn) plus the magazine.

He said, what a great country, you buy stuff and you get back more money tnan you give them.

We honeymooned in Nova Scotia. A lot of that free money. The payback came on the way home and had dinner in Bar Harbor. $28 (this was 1985). When I handed them $40 they said that wasn't enough.
    fezo said:

We honeymooned in Nova Scotia. A lot of that free money. The payback came on the way home and had dinner in Bar Harbor. $28 (this was 1985). When I handed them $40 they said that wasn't enough.

Speaking about currency...GM just dropped 1000 jobs building Camaros in Canada. These jobs will go to Mexico where labor costs $8 an hour including benefits.

Low labour costs and fewer tariffs are the swing factors. A worker in Mexico costs car companies an average of $8 an hour, including wages and benefits. That compares with $58 in the U.S. for General Motors and $38 at Volkswagen's factory in Tennessee, the lowest hourly cost in the U.S., according to the Center for Automotive Research, an industry think-tank in Ann Arbor, Michigan. German auto workers cost about $52 an hour.

Mexico also trumps the U.S. on free trade. It has agreements with 45 countries, meaning low tariffs for exporting globally. That, along with low labor costs, convinced Audi to build an SUV factory in the state of Puebla. The German automaker will save $6,000 per vehicle in tariffs when it ships a Q5 to Europe, compared with building the same vehicle in the U.S., says Sean McAlinden, chief economist at CAR.

Something to think about, the U.S. and Canadian governments saved GM, and now they are leaving. There is no loyalty in the auto business.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Driver, there is no loyalty in business to any country!  The loyalty is to the stockholders and the mighty $$$ - nothing else.  But you can't blame a company for lowering production costs in order to increase profits, can you?  Apple is making money hand over fist but keeps most of its money offshore as do General Electric and hundreds of other large "so called" American Companies.  Why?  Because U.S. taxes are through the roof compared to most other countries.

That's why manufacturing jobs are leaving this country.  Corporate headquarters for hundreds, if not thousands of these large manufacturers are in Europe, Asia and everywhere else but here.  Taxes, taxes and more taxes.

2021 Genesis G90

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Wasn't there just news about GM investing over $5 billion in US plants?
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    driver100 said:

Our Florida VW dealer sent a clever ad. They will give us $3500 over Black Book Value on a new VW. They say our 2013 Passat (2 1/2 yrs old) is worth $14570 but they will give us $18070 for it. Pretty good since it cost $23000 2 1/2 years ago. I wonder if they will discount the new one....probably not!

They'll also give me $15 just to go in...$5 for coming in, $10 for taking a test drive. If I was there I would go in and collect the $5 but not go for a test drive B)

See if they will give you that offer without you buying anything from them, ala Carmax.
    Actually driver - the Camaro production is moving to the US, not Mexico. That move was announced in 2012. The Oshawa plant will still be producing the Impala, Regal and XTS. Yes, 1,000 jobs are still expected to be lost but GM will invest $550 million at the Ingersoll, ON plant to build the next Equinox.
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    I guess someone flagged me for abuse on my previous post.  I hate cowards who flag anonymously.  Bye all, it's been nice knowing all of you!

2021 Genesis G90