Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord vs Ford Fusion | Which Sedan Belongs In Your Garage? Video | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2014 in Honda
imageHonda Accord vs Ford Fusion | Which Sedan Belongs In Your Garage? Video | Edmunds.com

Two sedans and two Edmunds.com editors Face Off: the Honda Accord vs the Ford Fusion. Editors James Riswick and Mike Monticello debate the merits of each car, including their performance, comfort, interior, value and how much (or little) they're fun to drive. Which sedan would you buy: the Accord or Fusion?

Read the full story here

Comments

• epeciepeci Member Posts: 1
    i think mike has better knowledge i drove both this cars and honda is the winner here ford does not dive as i looks and the value of the car drops big time i just found for fusion 2014 used 15000 km and it on seal for 10 grand cheaper as brand new car so honda is the winner here all day long.
  • johnathonbjohnathonb Member Posts: 4
    the accord is totally better than that poorly built ford, the seat coolers and heated steering wheel hardly works anyway
  • 4evrmoi4evrmoi Member Posts: 1
    I agree ... Honda's engineering and quality not to mention their reputation for reliability, beat a Ford any day!
  • xboeing1xboeing1 Member Posts: 1
    I'll take the other side of this argument. Honda's reputation is well known and is a good one. I read a lot of reports and checked the reliability on the 2014 Fusion hybred and it was pretty much a tie. Have less than 5K miles on the car so can't speak to long term but I do believe that a lot of the information out there is old news, I mean from the old days before American cars were reliable. I drove a sucession of Ford trucks and SUV's and never had any problems with any of them.

This car gets between 45 and 46.5 mpg and the best part is from the front it looks exactly like James Bonds Aston - Martin car except of course he didn't drive a 4 door sedan and his was full of beautiful women. I wondered Ford didn't get sued for the obvious knock off of Aston - Martin. It's because Ford owns a pretty good chunk of the company.

I maybe biased but no more than people like you guys or my daughter who have never driven anything else.

GO HAWKS (Seattle Seahawks)
  • jeohearnjeohearn Member Posts: 1
    I have owned my hybrid Fusion for 2 years now and it rocks! It turns on a the head of a pin (not a dime), it is very smooth, ultra quiet, the interior is impeccable (the heated seats are awesome and function quite well thank you), the instrumentation is very easy on the eyes and the seating is quite comfortable (one of my pet peeves by the way, especially in the back seat). The gas mileage is consistently over 40 mpg and has saved us a great deal of money over the last sedan that we owned. I have to laugh at many of the negative comments made earlier because they simply are not true, especially the car's reliability. I currently own 3 Fords and none of them have given me any problems whatsoever.
  • rambler1975rambler1975 Member Posts: 3
    If you are going to keep either car for 8+ years and 120k+ miles, resale value doesn't matter much, but the Honda is head and shoulders above the Ford if you want to resell in 5 or fewer years. And, my suspicion is that the Honda will get to 120k+ miles with fewer mechanical, electronic or cosmetic issues in the interim. Ford may have improved from their low point, but I don't think their high point is comparable to Honda.

• nmcarwmnnmcarwmn Member Posts: 1
    I have owned two Honda Accords, and now a Ford Fusion. There is no comparison. The Fusion makes me feel like I'm driving a luxuriously beautiful and comfortable sedan, while my Hondas have always been, well, reliable and pedestrian. I don't anticipate that the Fusion will give me more problems than the Hondas, and I think Ford has done an incredible job of upping their game . . . . How many of the Ford naysayers here have actually DRIVEN a Fusion??
  • mrcarboymrcarboy Member Posts: 4
    I Have driven both cars and would pass on both in favor on the Nissan Altima
  • 500rwhp500rwhp Member Posts: 99
    I've driven both models, and the Fusion is a far better car to drive. I don't own either, so I don't have a dog in this hunt, but it doesn't escape my attention that all the people deriding Ford quality don't own one. I've got lots of cars of lots of makes and my Ford is as reliable as anything I've ever owned.
  • adamb1adamb1 Member Posts: 122
    I shopped all the midsize sedans and bought the '14 Fusion Titanium. Self parking, and adaptive cruise control were not available elsewhere at the same price point. Bronze Fire paint and 19 in wheels make for a great looking car. While the 2.0 Turbo is down on power compared to competitive V6's on paper, it's power is available everywhere in the rev range. I can't stand CVTs. In the final analysis, the Honda looked and drove like a transportation appliance while the Fusion has entry-level luxury options, a sporty look and feel, and was a better value when I had to write the check.
  • skw0123skw0123 Member Posts: 33
    The comparison is a good one, between two cars that definitely deserve anybody's consideration. The Fusion has amazing road manners and a Goldilocks-like "just right" balance of comfort and road feel. The 2.0 turbo is also really nice. However, the Accord V6 is a rare gem that is a perfect example of affordable extravagance. And the Accord has some of the best "see-out" visibility of any car, even without the standard backup and available blind spot cameras.
  • ttbuyerttbuyer Member Posts: 45
    It may be true that the people deriding Ford quality don't own one, but those who are supporting Honda's quality HAVE owned Hondas. I like the look of the Ford very much...and I want to believe it is the Accords' equal in terms of reliability...but the reputation of domestics for problems due to "shortcut" engineering solutions will be hard to just forget about.
    ttbuyer said:

It may be true that the people deriding Ford quality don't own one, but those who are supporting Honda's quality HAVE owned Hondas. I like the look of the Ford very much...and I want to believe it is the Accords' equal in terms of reliability...but the reputation of domestics for problems due to "shortcut" engineering solutions will be hard to just forget about.

Yeah, I've owned Hondas too. I had one for over 100k miles. It was less reliable than my most recent Ford which I had for 140k miles. My parents just sold a 1994 Ford Contour which had well over 200k on it. Neither of those vehicles had "shortcut" engineering that was noticeable to me. Nor did my Honda. If you haven't owned one, I don't see how you are an expert on the ownership experience.
  • mittzombiemittzombie Member Posts: 162
    Ford Fusion is built in Mexico with 20% DOmestic parts
    Accord built in Ohio with 70% domestic parts
  • mittzombiemittzombie Member Posts: 162
    500rwhp said:

ttbuyer said:

Yeah, I've owned Hondas too. I had one for over 100k miles. It was less reliable than my most recent Ford which I had for 140k miles. My parents just sold a 1994 Ford Contour which had well over 200k on it. Neither of those vehicles had "shortcut" engineering that was noticeable to me. Nor did my Honda. If you haven't owned one, I don't see how you are an expert on the ownership experience.
    My brother in law had sued to get his Ford returned under the lemon law and won. I could not kill my Honda or Acura even skipping all the scheduled maint after 200k miles.
  • cooldad24cooldad24 Member Posts: 163
    edited May 2015
    I personal like the Fusion as I drove both last year. Both drive well and Accord has more road noise than Fusion , which is the main issue for me. Then the look. I never like Accord exterior design. They are bland or ugly (2005-2007), and never be a looker.

Now a day, american cars quality and reliability has been greatly improved while Japanese car material has been degraded until recent 2-3 years. I own only Honda product is 1999 Odyssey and unfortunately this model (1999-2002) suffer poor transmission flow design and all of them have transmission issue around 70K and no modified design. The best is to get a rebuild transmission (at least 4000 including labor). Besides, no company design all parts any more. Expertise suppliers on certain component improve the overall quality significantly. Engine is the only exception. Transmission could from own design (GM and ford) and rest are co-develop with 4 distinguished vendors. Power plant has longer warranty and should found problem within that time period. Hyandai benefit from this trend the most and have big jump on their reliability record since models after 2005. The flip side of this is big number recall once prove poor design on those key components such as airbag or ignition switch (GM).

For these two cars, both are good and well design. Go with your preference, not reliability, but things you really care. I always recommend my friends who ask my opinion that write down things you care and set them in priority such as power, drive, look and features. Then go through the list, reduce the list of car down to two and start to quote and shop.

Ford Fusion is built in Mexico with 20% DOmestic parts
    Accord built in Ohio with 70% domestic parts

All of them except the ones that are built in Flat Rock, MI which has a much higher domestic content. Flat Rock switched to Fusion manufacturing a couple years ago. Try to keep up. Just because you say something doesn't mean it is true.
  • ne1butu2ne1butu2 Member Posts: 21
    If I were in the market for an inexpensive and basic midsized car for my daughter, I'd go for the 4-cyl Accord Sport with manual transmission. It looks like a much more expensive car than the price would suggest. I don't care for the looks of the base model Fusions with small wheels that make it look like a municipal car. However, with upgraded wheels, option packages and larger turbo engine, I'd definitely go for the Fusion. With the Titanium package, it's downright sexy, is better to drive and feels like the more substantial car.
  • cbrandicbrandi Member Posts: 21
    Odd there almost seems to be an anti-American bias at work. People want to believe that foreign is always better. I've had my Ford for 4 trouble-free years, a great car and more engaging to drive than any of the Honda's I've owned. I've come back to American and glad I did.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Honda Accords are made in the USA.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere