Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Crumb-Catching Seats - 2015 Audi A3 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2015 in Audi
imageCrumb-Catching Seats - 2015 Audi A3 Long-Term Road Test

Our 2014 Audi A3 test car offers comfortable, supportive seats, but they require a regular vacuum regimen.

Read the full story here

Comments

• locke42locke42 Member Posts: 25
    Every car needs retractable placemats that go across the driver's lap.

Since I drive by myself 99% of the time, I use the passenger's side crevice (I think Audi should call it this from now on) to hold my wallet and house keys. It's much more convenient than to constantly open/close the armrest compartment, especially since I still haven't quite learned how to close the armrest compartment lid without it sticking in one of its pre-set heights first.

This car is seriously lacking in cabin storage. I can live with the reduced trunk space, but I'm not a fan of putting everything into that armrest compartment.
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    This wouldn't be a problem for me as I don't eat anything that would make crumbs like that in my car. In a rental, yes, I'm a slob and I treat the whole car like a trash can.
  • jstrauch81jstrauch81 Member Posts: 64
    fordson1 said:

You vacuum it every time you drive? So that photo represents one drive's worth of crumbs? Ewwww...

Now I gotta wonder what the steering wheel and door pulls look like.

And the idea that it's somehow the fault of the seat design rather than that of the people who insist upon eating in the car...really.

My thoughts exactly, not trying to be rude, but put the food in your mouth = no crumbs.
  • chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    I've detailed a few cars with the same cushion design. The issue isn't really better or worse on certain cars. Crevices in the seats will always catch crumbs and grit, so by nature, these extenders will catch a lot of debris whether or not they're being used. The best thing carmakers can do is to close the gap when the extender is retracted as much as possible. That way, there will at least be a smaller opening for things to fall into.
  • wheelmccoywheelmccoy Member Posts: 97
    fordson1 said:

You vacuum it every time you drive? So that photo represents one drive's worth of crumbs? Ewwww...

I presume the car is in rotation with all the other Edmunds' drivers, so it could be several drive's worth of crumbs before Kelly gets the car again and vacuums it. Still...

Unlike the Germans, the Japanese -- namely the Honda Odyssey -- do understand Americans and has an option for a built-in vacuum cleaner.