Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Coolant reservoir has dried greenish residue at bottom. Engine oil level has gone down drastically.

deepak543deepak543 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2015 in Nissan
CAR MODEL: 2003 Nissan Sentra GXE 4 Cyl 1.8L

Additional Details:
vehicle's mileage - 101600 Miles

Things have been done:
I have removed Coolant reservoir & cleaned dried greenish residue. Filled reservoir with new Super Tech 50/50 Antifreeze/Coolant Pre-Mix.

Engine Temperature Gauge showing normal temperature. Coolant reservoir has gone down month back when I saw this residue and topped up the coolant.
Now Engine oil level has gone down drastically. Its below Low level.

Note: I was out of town hence did not use my car for 3 -4 weeks.

Answers

• eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    edited May 2015
    check/top-off oil at every refuel stop. after driving/warm, if oil visible through filler cap is like milk chocolate that makes your reported symptoms seem consistent with an engine gasket failure allowing coolant mixing with oil.
    the missing coolant and oil is not ok. but some greenish residue inside coolant reservoir seems ok/normal to me.
    it wouldn't be unusual for the engine to be burning the oil, or leaking it onto the ground under the car. put white paper under car overnight to see what leaks.