Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mine Would Be Blue, Expensive - 2015 Porsche Macan S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2015 in Porsche
imageMine Would Be Blue, Expensive - 2015 Porsche Macan S Long-Term Road Test

Our 2015 Porsche Macan isn't equipped how I'd have it. Here's what I'd get.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    edited May 2015
    Ah, the Porsche configurator. I myself have spent many hours dreaming over my perfect Porsche. I've got to say, the $77,365 you came to is really not unreasonable. You can easily double your cost in options alone but you seem to have had some restraint. Very nice!
  • 7driver7driver Member Posts: 145
    Only $24k of options on a $52k car? I tried to get it to $100k worth of options but couldn't quite make it. I only got to $92k:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PG8IYM66
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    What, no color matched air vents and such? LOL. One thing to consider when buying a $70k+ Porsche is resale value. Customizing something can be very deadly to your residual value. YOU may not care about badging, but others may. YOU might like the extra exhaust noise, but for affluent Mamas, they might not and it might not be worth the $2900+. Many of the other options would be welcomed, although you may or may not get back the extra cost for wheels and stereo depending on what buyers think. The glass? All I can think about is what it'll cost you to replace that sucker. Probably $1,500+ when a rock badly damages it. If insurance doesn't cover it completely, be warned.
  • joshuakm1joshuakm1 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2015
    Hey Mike,

As someone who placed a Macan order yesterday I agree with almost of all of your recommendations, however I have a few comments:

(1) If you like driving sports cars, I think it's really worth considering getting into a Turbo rather than an S model with 20k worth of options (many of which are included with the Turbo). Sure - on paper the Turbo only has only 60 more HP, however the low-end torque is unreal & makes you feel like you're accelerating in a 911. Yes, the S model offers incredible performance, but if you have the extra cash I would at least think about the Turbo. I received a 5% discount off MSRP so my Turbo build came out to 10k more than a highly optioned S build.

(2) I think the Burmeister stereo upgrade is only "worth it" if you're A. rich, B. a serious audiophile, or C. both.

(3) It's interesting that you added Sport Chrono but did not add PASM which is recommended by most professional Porsche drivers. I would add PASM (with or without air suspension) before even considering Sport Chrono.

(4) Also - don't forget the low cost option of exterior trim in high-gloss or the free smokers package which improves interior aesthetics.

Here's the build that I placed: http://www.porsche-code.com/PGE47UQ0

No matter how you spec a Macan you really can't lose... it's a fantastic car!

Best,

Josh
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    Here is mine with code PGQBKTM8 for $64,895. Lighter colour, heat resistant glass, ventilated seats rear sunblind but NO sunroof are all because I live in Las Vegas. I also hate sunroofs, period. 19" wheels and PASM air suspension because I want the better ride, No stereo or exhaust "upgrades", thank you. Sport Chrono? Here, let me offer you some prime swamp, er, land in Louisiana. No sports seats because I detest fold down seats that don't go flat. Off to play a MegaBucks machine to pay for it all.
  • Mike_MagrathMike_Magrath Member Posts: 23
    joshuakm1 said:

Hey Mike,

As someone who placed a Macan order yesterday I agree with almost of all of your recommendations, however I have a few comments:

(1) If you like driving sports cars, I think it's really worth considering getting into a Turbo rather than an S model with 20k worth of options (many of which are included with the Turbo). Sure - on paper the Turbo only has only 60 more HP, however the low-end torque is unreal & makes you feel like you're accelerating in a 911. Yes, the S model offers incredible performance, but if you have the extra cash I would at least think about the Turbo. I received a 5% discount off MSRP so my Turbo build came out to 10k more than a highly optioned S build.

(2) I think the Burmeister stereo upgrade is only "worth it" if you're A. rich, B. a serious audiophile, or C. both.

(3) It's interesting that you added Sport Chrono but did not add PASM which is recommended by most professional Porsche drivers. I would add PASM (with or without air suspension) before even considering Sport Chrono.

(4) Also - don't forget the low cost option of exterior trim in high-gloss or the free smokers package which improves interior aesthetics.

Here's the build that I placed: http://www.porsche-code.com/PGE47UQ0

No matter how you spec a Macan you really can't lose... it's a fantastic car!

Best,

Josh

(3) Drats, I forgot PASM. Good catch.
    (2) Little bit of B, but mostly I just like to be able to "feel" the music and, even loud, the Bose has no character. Just noise.
    (1) Yep, Turbo has CRAZY acceleration (we got 4.4 to 60 and a 12.8 @ 105.9)
    , but on the canyon roads around here, I just never needed that much power. And that's a phrase I've NEVER said before. It's a heckuva good car, I just like the S a little more on the roads here.
    (4) High gloss? Not interested. Smoking package: That DOES look better.

Your build looks great! Congrats and let me know (either DM me through here on via twitter) when you get it.
    -mm
  • carsincltcarsinclt Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2015
    My 'S' was supposed to be in production today and arrive end of June. --- here's the build ... but I'm still a believer that Porsches look best in white.... the configurator is awesome -- and addictive.

White w/ Black
    Painted Side Blades & Rear Fascia
    20" RS Spyders w/ colored center caps
    Gloss Black Windows Trim
    3 Zone Climate
    Premium Package+
    PASM w/ Air Suspension
    Sport Exhaust
    Comfort Lighting
    Sirius/XM
  • frostyzoobfrostyzoob Member Posts: 8
    I've been looking at a Macan S for a while now and I'm still on the fence about it. My configuration code: PGJR1FT4. My config comes out to $67,755.

I configured my Macan for comfort since I doubt I'd ever take the thing to a track and it seems sporty enough for me out of the box. That said, I omitted all the performance options since I doubt I'd ever use them once the novelty wore off. I considered the Air Suspension, but the reliability of the system over the long term concerns me. (To say nothing of the cost of repairs.)

I can't imagine why anyone would get the Infotainment Package. $3000 for a mediocre (at best?) nav system? Can't bring myself to do it. (@Mike_Magrath: I'd love to know what your rationale is for wanting the infotainment system.)

As a pragmatic audiophile, the price of the Burmester system makes me question its value. I'm sure it's nicer but is it $5700 nice? I highly doubt it. And the Bose system? I'd just as soon take the $1400 towards the Bose and spend it on aftermarket audio. (I'd keep the headunit but upgrade the speakers and add a 8" sub.)

I'm on the fence with regards to the Lane Change / Lane Keep. I'm not sure if they work well enough to justify the $700 (each) asking price. I wish the Edmunds.com Macan had them (along with ACC) because I'd love to hear the staffs thoughts on Porsches implementation.

I briefly considered the Thermally and Noise-Insulating Privacy Glass myself, but after lurking on other forums for a bit the general consensus seems to be that it is NOT worth it.
  • MarkHolthoffMarkHolthoff Member Posts: 101
    Oops -- mine turned out to be a Boxster Spyder with no options except blue paint and European Delivery: PGLJJH19 : )