Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,355
    edited May 2015
    I had Swope VW look for a GTI S with three pedals, the Performance Package, and the Lighting Package. Nothing in a seven state radius. The few PP cars I've found have all been SE or Autobahn models. Typical VW; list a a trim level/option combination that rarely exists outside of the print brochure...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Yes, a total nightmare! Just got back from another bank that I have some individual stuff at and put in a new procedure for the way I deposit, withdraw, whatever...just need to make every place aware that my(our) accounts need to be flagged for fraud. The little extra layer of protection may just pay off if this sort of thing happens again. But again, this banker said fraud is very bad here in South Florida and they have procedures in place to help make things safer...as we were there, another guy walked in with an identity theft problem as well. Just blows my mind how prevalent this nonsense is...these folks hopefully will be caught and get the book thrown at them. A shame when good honest, hard working folks like us get victimized by folks who think that crime is their only way to survive. They all need to be caught and thrown in prison and go through the same hell that we the victims are going through to clean up the mess they left in their wake! I am just so angry, pissed off...y'all get the drift here.
    Going to go relax now...if I drank, would be a good time for a cocktail!!!

The Pissed Off Sandman :@

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

Took the Accent in before the wife and daughter take off on their trip tomorrow. Needed new tires, a battery, brakes adjusted and a 4 wheel alignment. Car has just 20,100 or so on it but the tires were cracking and couldn't be rotated anymore. Battery was marginal and could've waited a bit but we felt better just swapping it out so the kid won't get into trouble when she starts her internship June 1st. Hyundai replaced the original battery at end of year one but it was probably time. Never been aligned since the first year and brakes were never adjusted so figured they had the vehicle, just get things done. First we've spent on it besides wiper blades and oil changes since we bought it new back in '08 so think we've been lucky.

The Sandman :)B)

"brakes adjusted" ???

I haven't heard of anyone "adjusting brakes" since the bygone days of drum brakes.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090

Was a victim of identity theft Friday and Saturday...guy made a copy of my license with his pic and got into checking account.

How did they get a copy of your license?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    edited May 2015
    Sandy, several years ago I was also a victim of i.d. theft. This is when my state had SS no. as our license no. (they have since changed this). At any rate, I was able to shut this down almost immediately, and had no financial losses but also felt violated and angry. The thief got a couple lines of credit with a few banks, all with my ss. no, an incorrect date of birth, incorrect phone no, and incorrect place of emploument. I discovered it after all this computer equipment I didn't order got delivered to me. When I called and asked who ordered it, and how it was paid for, I opened the can of worms. I called other computer companies, assuming they also had pending or filled orders, and found out they did! Our house at the time was for sale, and we got a confirmation from the post office of a change of address, which we DID NOT do. We discovered cars casing our house waiting for deliveries to be left outside. . What pi$$ed me off was that one of the banks required me to get all this notarized information to them, a very inconvenient process. I was incensed at them, that they required all these hoops for me to jump through yet they allowed the thief to do what he/she was allowed to do, very simply.

About a year later, the police found the perpetrators who probably got a slap on the wrists.

Now, wife and I have Lifelock accounts, not entirely foolproof, but certainly a comfort to have.

Sandy, sorry you also had to go through this, but fortunately, as with me, it could have been worse.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    I had Swope VW look for a GTI S with three pedals, the Performance Package, and the Lighting Package. Nothing in a seven state radius. The few PP cars I've found have all been SE or Autobahn models. Typical VW; list a a trim level/option combination that rarely exists outside of the print brochure...
    When I bought the GLI, it was difficult to find one without the optional spoiler. I basically told them it had no value for me and I wasn't willing to pay for it. They found one without the spoiler. 
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,252

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098

Yes, a total nightmare! Just got back from another bank that I have some individual stuff at and put in a new procedure for the way I deposit, withdraw, whatever...just need to make every place aware that my(our) accounts need to be flagged for fraud. The little extra layer of protection may just pay off if this sort of thing happens again. But again, this banker said fraud is very bad here in South Florida and they have procedures in place to help make things safer...as we were there, another guy walked in with an identity theft problem as well. Just blows my mind how prevalent this nonsense is...these folks hopefully will be caught and get the book thrown at them. A shame when good honest, hard working folks like us get victimized by folks who think that crime is their only way to survive. They all need to be caught and thrown in prison and go through the same hell that we the victims are going through to clean up the mess they left in their wake! I am just so angry, pissed off...y'all get the drift here.
    Going to go relax now...if I drank, would be a good time for a cocktail!!!

The Pissed Off Sandman :@

I have a password on my bank accounts. I have to say it every time I call them or arrive in person. They ask me for it. This happened several years back when some joker in Italy somehow got hold of my Visa and tried to buy a laptop. The bank called me - at my home number - and asked if I was in Italy. We cancelled the card and set up a password for the account.

I'm also using Lifelock.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    As to how he got my license with his picture on it, no clue nor do the police or bank folks. The only person to see my license was a cop the end of March though it might be on the police report, which I plan to order Monday. If the report had my license number, then the guy I hit might have done something but one bank manager told me it wasn't a white guy who committed the fraud...the guy I hit was Latin but who knows, pure speculation here. Still waiting for the funds to be replaced, Chase bank has dropped the ball here and we might be dropping them soon because of this lack of making us whole...we were told this issue would be "expedited", whatever that means...and a week in, nothing has been put back. Totally unacceptable...just totally unacceptable!
    We are now password covered everywhere, a good thing and all 3 credit bureaus have been alerted and a freeze has been put in place. Not much more we can do for now I suspect...J
    just want things settled already!
    On the Accent's brakes, they cleaned them and adjusted the parking brake and everything is fine with the pads, calipers and all moving parts. First major maintenance done since Thanksgiving 2008 when new so think we're o k...it has turned out to be a great economy car! It's on a road trip now and just heard that it drove like a champ today to upstate Florida...she needs this vehicle to last another 6 or so years but with just over 20k on the clock, should be doable.

The Sandman :(B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539
    did some browsing today since I was at the dealer for the first service on the Sonata (supplied gratis by the dealer, so I schlepped over to Philly for it. Bad idea on a Friday afternoon).

cruised the Elantra aisle, thinking about this in the summer. they had a lot of them. 16s out already too. not worried about getting a cheap lease come the summer if I want it.

real nice GT 6 speed stick all loaded up in the showroom. that could be a fun car, but not what we are looking for (should have convinced the princess to stick with the stick!).

had an annoying time. took an extra hour, because there was a call for a navi update. which somehow took an hour+ to load, so I got out in the middle of rush hour instead of just in front.

on the plus side, because I was polite and patient (no blow ups!) the service writer appreciated it, and told me that the next one (which I was supposed to pay for) would be on them too, so I have a free oil change and rotation coming. So yeah, it was worth hanging out the extra time looking at cars!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    From one schlep to another, nicely done.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,164
    Regarding the identity theft, I'd wager nobody actually saw the physical DL, they just obtained some demographic info, and made up a new one, as the template usually remains the same no matter the user. Home printer technology can make some really passable fakes these days. The data could have possibly been gained from a dumpster diver at a financial or medical institution, as both of those seem to occasionally have data control issues. That's really a mess, hope it works out. I once worked in fraud management for a telecom, and fake ID based fraud is a big thing.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    edited May 2015

Hmm - when we were looking a few months ago, just before I bought the Mazda3, I test drove a GTI trimmed exactly as you'd like, in Black. So, they do exist, but may take a little patience to get one.

In fact, now that I think about it, it was probably priced very similarly to my loaded Mazda. Which is to say, that's a great value! Dang, maybe I should've given that a bit more thought! :)

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    breld said:

Hmm - when we were looking a few months ago, just before I bought the Mazda3, I test drove a GTI trimmed exactly as you'd like, in Black. So, they do exist, but may take a little patience to get one.

In fact, now that I think about it, it was probably priced very similarly to my loaded Mazda. Which is to say, that's a great value! Dang, maybe I should've given that a bit more thought! :)
    There's always next week.
    Those in the Kentucky area, is it just me, or does everyone who has a "Friends of Coal" license plate drive like a complete nitwit?
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Not ID theft, but while I was out of town for business
    [ and without my Charger ]
    my cc co. notified me of suspected fraudulent activity
    on the card I typically use.
    [ 3 major auto parts purchases & others. ]
    VERY annoying...
    Sorry to hear \ read here of others with issues!
    - Ray
    Glad to be back & driving my own car...
    2022 X3 M40i
    Ray, it's always when I'm out of town that my credit card number gets stolen! A couple years ago, I sat down to eat my meal, which I had just paid for with the card, at a Chipotle in Kansas City, and the girl running the cash register walked up and told me the card had come back declined. Not sure why it took them five minutes to catch that, but I paid in cash and had to charge my hotel room to another card.

Sandy, hope you get everything straightened out.
    edited May 2015
    Sold the '02 today- to a guy from Cincy who is going to convert it to a five speed. I hated to let it go, but I really did have too many cars. The up side is I now have more money in the budget for the next car...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    edited May 2015
    stickguy said:

real nice GT 6 speed stick all loaded up in the showroom. that could be a fun car,

Its really not. It is a nice car, but not fun. The Fit feels much more sporty.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,427

Sold the '02 today- to a guy from Cincy who is going to convert it to a five speed. I hated to let it go, but I really did have too many cars. The up side is I now have more money in the budget for the next car...

At least you found a good home for it.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,079
    corvette said:

Those in the Kentucky area, is it just me, or does everyone who has a "Friends of Coal" license plate drive like a complete nitwit?

Haven't noticed that.... I think most of them get the plate because it's black and matches the color scheme of their vehicle.. Unless you are in the industry, why else would you choose it?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

corvette said:

Haven't noticed that.... I think most of them get the plate because it's black and matches the color scheme of their vehicle.. Unless you are in the industry, why else would you choose it?
    I tend to view it as either semi-political, or a statement that the owner supports air pollution, or both, so maybe my prejudice is showing.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,079
    corvette said:

kyfdx said:

corvette said:

I tend to view it as either semi-political, or a statement that the owner supports air pollution, or both, so maybe my prejudice is showing.
    Yeah.. maybe. Havent noticed too many people in the DMV line that look like they've put that much thought into it. B)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384

Wow! I thought you'd be the guy converting it to a 5 speed.

For those who aren't over in the buying and selling thread my nice Mazda 6 wagon gave up the ghost. Four catalytic converters. Am hunting its replacement. Have pretty well settled on this - http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?featureCodes=1132&zip=08050&endYear=2016&showcaseOwnerId=7338345&startYear=2010&makeCode1=MAZDA&listingType=certified&listingTypes=certified&maxMileage=30000&searchRadius=75&maxPrice=20000&showcaseListingId=381909543&mmt=[MAZDA[][]]&listingId=397014880&Log=0
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    Hey, hosts! I pulled that Mazda 6 off my tag line but it's still there. Need to make that go away....
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    fezo said:

Hey, hosts! I pulled that Mazda 6 off my tag line but it's still there. Need to make that go away....

You must have done it wrong. I was able to change mine, no problem.

fezo said:
    Looks about as nice as one of those can get. I get a laugh out of the dealer's captioning some of the photos. The blazing fire next to the heated seat button is especially neat. ;)

Just curious: what would a new one like that go for?

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    fezo said:

For those who aren't over in the buying and selling thread my nice Mazda 6 wagon gave up the ghost. Four catalytic converters. Am hunting its replacement. Have pretty well settled on this - http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?featureCodes=1132&zip=08050&endYear=2016&showcaseOwnerId=7338345&startYear=2010&makeCode1=MAZDA&listingType=certified&listingTypes=certified&maxMileage=30000&searchRadius=75&maxPrice=20000&showcaseListingId=381909543&mmt=[MAZDA[][]]&listingId=397014880&Log=0
    Ah-oh....it's got the evil smiley-faced grill. Kidding aside, hope it works out well for you.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    edited May 2015
    corvette said:

I think this comment about people's view, political or scientific, is
    out of place in a car discussion forum.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    "It's got the evil smiley faced grill." I kind of liked those!
    And you know, I hit the flag button by mistake trying to copy that sentence.
    Looks like a great purchase! Just watch out for those tan leather interiors -- the ones on my Honda absorb the denim color from my jeans. For some reason grey doesn't do that. I bet you will want a backup cam for sure.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    suydam said:
    "It's got the evil smiley faced grill." I kind of liked those! And you know, I hit the flag button by mistake trying to copy that sentence. Looks like a great purchase! Just watch out for those tan leather interiors -- the ones on my Honda absorb the denim color from my jeans. For some reason grey doesn't do that. I bet you will want a backup cam for sure.
    +1 on tan leather showing blue from denim.  I have had that on two cars.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Given that about 39% of all our electricity comes from coal, I'd say that about 4 out of 10 plug-in hybrids or EVs should have that sticker on the back bumper. Oh, the irony.

Hey, here's an interesting "buying dilemma". I saw a 2003 GMC short bed pickup for sale for "best offer"--very (and I mean VERY) clean, kind of a base model truck, with....gasp....540,000 miles on it. Yeah, it's running and registered. 88 year old guy passed away. Used to pull his little camper all over the country.

How do you even sell a truck like that? Auction maybe with full disclosure?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Barely broken in. B)
    put it on CL or on the side of the road with a sign, all detailed up, asking for first 1K cash and it will be gone in minutes.

almost got back into the market early today. came without inches of merging the sonata with a jacked up Wrangler unlimited. Not sure that I would have come out ahead.

I was coming down a local 4 lane, at a point where there are a couple of side roads, and it is windy. People occasionally take the risk that they can shoot across all 4 lanes. well, the Jeep decided to try just as I was approaching. he made it about 3 lanes before realizing it was a bad mistake. thankfully he nailed the brakes and stopped about 1/2 way into my lane. I hit the brakes and (somehow) was able to swerve around him (into the side road he was heading for) and back into my lane before running into the telephone pole at the corner.

I think my wife pee'd her pants on that one (though it would have it on my side). can't believe I got around him without running off the road, but I will take it. Must have missed him by inches, because I saw a ton of black jeep out my side window!

Sonata did fine in the emergency maneuver. Some tire squeal, but no real drama. If the ESC had to kick in, it was not noticeable. just went where i pointed and away we went.

did get my heart pumping a bit!

I am expecting next car - at least 5 uears down the road - will be electric. Power from solar.
    I can't see myself ever having a pure electric. some sort of hybrid with onboard generating, that could happen.

stickguy said:

I can't see myself ever having a pure electric. some sort of hybrid with onboard generating, that could happen.

Like a Volt?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

fezo said:

I approve!!!

• js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    Quick trip from Dallas to Houston and back for Mother's Day. Took daughter's Optima to maximize gas mileage. 492 miles on one tank with a little left to spare, about 460 of which was all highway. Real world calculation of 30.1 mpg against trip computer of 32.3. About tied with my old Santa Fe for most inaccurate trip computer. Must be a Korean car thing.

Regardless, not a 35 mpg car but isn't supposed to be with a 274 HP turbo and an est 31 hwy. At a consistent 75-80 on the highway, I'm very pleased with the result.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

fezo said:
    Very nice! I don't see many of those on the road, and very few in that color. If you get bored and find yourself with too much money in your bank account, you can always convert it into a MazdaSpeed Mazda5.
    edited May 2015
    Might be the best way---I listened to the engine and I definitely heard something that sounds expensive. Very deep, almost imperceptible knock, way down low in the engine. I rather doubt a newbie is going to hear it. I think it's a main bearing that's pretty loose. Still, hat's off to the old guy for doing some incredible maintenance.
    stickguy said:

put it on CL or on the side of the road with a sign, all detailed up, asking for first 1K cash and it will be gone in minutes.

I figure that if it is really super clean and maintained, even if the engine doesn't last that long, it is a pretty cheap job to throw in a rebuild or used one and get more mileage out of it.

edited May 2015
    Oh it's ridiculously clean. I dunno, it's a tough one, because you can buy one of these base model 2003 GMC Sierra trucks for what.....$6K maybe?

I suppose, based on that figuring, this truck is worth $1000 then. Shame to junk it. I'd buy it but I don't like regular cab trucks. It's nice to have a back area to stash things or carry another passenger in a pinch.
    Dig it. Roadburner approves. Had I been able to find it with a stick it would have been perfect.

Local Mazda dealer hasn't a clue about how far his competition can be. This is about an hour and a half away, but very close to my brother so I can always turn a service trip to a visit.

Local guy was trying to sell a CX5 but charging $2K over what I could have gotten it for. Kept saying how they had free oil changes and loaner cars for cars bought there. $2K will buy a lot of oil changes and either I can go locally and get a ride from a neighbor (heck, one day the mechanic lent me his Suburban for a day. That was an adventure!) ot in great necessity rent a car for a day. Again, you can do a lot with $2K.

Corvette - I LOVE the idea of a Mazdaspeed 5. Rb - ready for a project?.....
    it's been done (sort of) a few years back, one of the magazines (car & driver I think) decided to convert a 5 into a speed. Thought they would just swap out the engine. Turns out to not be that easy, since there were some incompatibility (ECU stuff maybe?). Pretty sure it got done, but was a nightmare. Probably easiest to just slap a turbo kit on your car, and be done!

stickguy said:

it's been done (sort of) a few years back, one of the magazines (car & driver I think) decided to convert a 5 into a speed. Thought they would just swap out the engine. Turns out to not be that easy, since there were some incompatibility (ECU stuff maybe?). Pretty sure it got done, but was a nightmare. Probably easiest to just slap a turbo kit on your car, and be done!

Here you go - a little light reading:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/return-of-the-boss-wagon-mazdaspeed-5

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Not sure if there are any other night owls up this late, but could use an opinion ....

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/34248/kia/sorento/carfax-decision-would-appreciate-your-help#latest

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    edited May 2015
    Alright, got a call back from BMW of Greenwich, stating the '04 330ci ZHP is once again available. So, should be at least a little excited, right?

I don't know - in the week since I expressed interest in the vehicle, it's been considered "sold" twice now, with both buyers backing out. If that's not a red flag, I don't know what is.

They also keep jacking around with the listed price - it was as low as $11,999 at one time, $12,999 when I found it, and now after at least two buyers backing out on it, it's apparently worth $14,999.

Here's the listing:

'04 ZHP

Steering wheel needs to be re-wrapped, apparently there's a small tear in the driver's seat (according to the salesperson), and seems to me, from one of the front end pictures, the front bumper has a larger than normal gap between it and the grill/fender. No accident per Carfax, but of course that means very little.

Still, if the condition was good (other than the steering wheel, which is easily addressed), and there are no mechanical issues, it may be tempting for a 57k mile example.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y