Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Bad 2015 Corolla gas mileage?

mikaelwmikaelw Member Posts: 1
edited January 2015 in Toyota
We bought a 2015 Corolla LE Plus this past Thanksgiving weekend. The tank went from full to ¾ full after 38 miles of city driving. The onboard MPG calculator said it was getting 16 MPG (it’s rated 29 city/38 highway. When we took it back to the dealer the sales consultant said that’s normal – that it would improve after it got “broken in”. The car mechanic who I have taken all my Toyotas to and who has only worked on Toyota for the last 30 years says plus or minus a couple MPGs would be reasonable but not minus 13 MPG. We drove it another 400 miles to “break it in” and during this breakin period it did get close to 38 MPG when we drove on the highway. Then I topped off the tank with gas, recorded the odometer mileage, zeroed out the onboard trip mileage recorder and the MPG calculator and my wife drove 61 city mileage. The onboard MPG calculator said it was getting 16.8 MPG and 61 miles divided by th3 3.854 that it took to top it off again = 15.8 MPG. Either way I don’t think the mileage should be this bad. Can anybody post new Corolla mileage you have experienced? - Thanks.

Answers

• topofftopoff Member Posts: 19
    Left foot brake?
  • downshift1downshift1 Member Posts: 7
    City mileage varies greatly, it depends how much gas you need to put to stay moving. stop and go and driving slowly uphill is the worst. what transmission do you have?
    I drove a recent model LE 4 speed auto and I got in heavy traffic going uphill 10-15mpg and in slight traffic 20-27 mpg,
  • gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 11
    Are you keeping the car in ECO mode, meaning not overly using the throttle? I just got 48mpg last night for a city driving trip across down. I typically don't get less than 43mpg, and that isn't even highway driving. I never get of out ECO mode on my 15 LE (Not ECO version), and always use cruise control. LE has the CVT.
  • gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 11
    I threw it in sport mode tonight and hopped on it quite a bit just to see what kind of bad mpg I could get. I still got 32 mpg in the city and I would never drive like that.