Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Obsessing and Twitching Over the Volume Control - 2014 Mini Cooper Hardtop Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2015 in MINI
imageObsessing and Twitching Over the Volume Control - 2014 Mini Cooper Hardtop Long-Term Road Test

In a car that stands for style, the 2014 Mini Cooper has one unstylish feature that drives us bonkers: the volume knob.

Read the full story here

Comments

• chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    I can totally agree with you on this, Mark. Both my grandma's 07 Audi A4 and mother's 2013 Tiguan have volume knobs with power symbols on them. Same setup in the Mini, where you push it to turn the stereo on or off. Normally, I just use the steering wheel controls, but it's just a little annoyance of mine, and it's surprising that a German car company would be guilty of such a thing.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    Do analysts get danger money? Reading this I think they should.
  • goaterguygoaterguy Member Posts: 64
    Yes, that would drive me mad.
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    This would also drive me crazy.
  • ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    VW is a notorious offender in this regard, as well. Definitely looks tacky.
  • banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    This looks stupid.
  • grijongrijon Member Posts: 147
    Yep, I'd hate that.
  • opfreakopfreak Member Posts: 106
    i'll be the opposite, at least this way you have a quick visual as to how loud the stereo is turned up.
  • tatermctatumstatermctatums Member Posts: 107
    My 2010 Jetta has the same issue with the knob. Drives me bonkers. Luckily, I can use the steering wheel controls to adjust the volume without touching the knob. I've even gone so far as to yell at friends reaching for the knob.
  • prndlolprndlol Member Posts: 140
    edited May 2015
    This reminds me of a review I read of the 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse years ago where the A/C label turned with the dial and bothered the reviewer:

"The automatic climate control is effective in hot weather, and easy to operate, but I have one small complaint. The ‘A/C’ graphic turns with the dial, so it’s usually at a 45 degree angle" http://cars.axlegeeks.com/sites/default/files/4315/media/images/2006_Mitsubishi_Eclipse_GS_2dr_Hatchback_24L_4cyl_5M_3819523.jpg

http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/test-drive-2006-mitsubishi-eclipse-gt/
  • iamthestigiamthestig Member Posts: 85
    My 2013 Passat does this, and it drives me mad. Because of it, I adjust the volume exclusively with the steering wheel controls, and the knob stays put with the power icon in its proper upright position.
  • dldavedldave Member Posts: 46
    I have an 08 Jetta and thankfully it does not have this problem as there is nothing on the knob. I'm thankful because this would drive me nuts.
  • veedubber86veedubber86 Member Posts: 57
    dldave said:

I have an 08 Jetta and thankfully it does not have this problem as there is nothing on the knob. I'm thankful because this would drive me nuts.

You sure yours hasn't rubbed off? My 07 had the same "issue" as the Mini.
  • mlin32mlin32 Member Posts: 35
    Welcome to the world of VWs. Slightly irritating as well for me. But for the Mini, what irritated me was that the volume control is on the right hand side steering spoke........it needs to be on the left side.

I also like my vents to be angled similarly. I promise I'm not OCD.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    mlin32 said:

Welcome to the world of VWs. Slightly irritating as well for me. But for the Mini, what irritated me was that the volume control is on the right hand side steering spoke........it needs to be on the left side.

I also like my vents to be angled similarly. I promise I'm not OCD.

Not sure if serious....
  • priusdriver101priusdriver101 Member Posts: 17
    I noticed that same design on your old long term Beetle.
  • priusdriver101priusdriver101 Member Posts: 17
    It would drive me insane