Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Rear Passenger Comfort Is Optional - 2015 Porsche Macan S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2015 in Porsche
imageRear Passenger Comfort Is Optional - 2015 Porsche Macan S Long-Term Road Test

Our long-term 2015 Porsche Macan S didn't come standard with rear seat vents, but they seem like a smart choice for just $510.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Figures. Everything is an "option". You probably had to check a box just to get Air Conditioning to begin with. Its understandable when its not available on a $25k CRV (the $28k CRV has it), but on a $62k Porsche? Ugh. You start feeling nickeled-and-dimed here.
  • willin58willin58 Member Posts: 38
    This is unbelievable.
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    Porsche prices their cars this way because they can.
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    I'll take Keith's word for it that it's a comfortable back seat but from the picture at least it looks really cheap back there. You might say that you don't get a Porsche for rear seat amenities. But if you don't care about the rear seat, you're not buying a Macan.
  • chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    schen72 said:

Porsche prices their cars this way because they can.

Very true. I bet that a large portion of Porsche owners are loyal to the brand and have owned numerous other Porsches, so the prices aren't a big deal to them. I will say, however, that Porsches seem to hold their resale value very well over time, even in comparison to other luxury makes. The higher price is somewhat easier to justify if you consider how much better the depreciation will be over time.

I agree that not having 3-zone climate control as standard is pretty outrageous, though. At least put some vents in the back. That open cubby on the back of the center console is a lot less useful than some HVAC vents.
  • bc1960bc1960 Member Posts: 171
    It doesn't even have ducted vents on the floor underneath the front seats, as many cars do? The console is not the only place to put them.
  • defyant15defyant15 Member Posts: 74
    edited May 2015
    If this was an American car, here is how the reviewers (not just Edmunds) would pick it apart...
    "a dreary all black interior provides no contrast. Hard black plastics are noticeable on the doors, and surprising at this price point. A strange and rather unsightly cavity exists where in most German cars a vent would be placed. Faux suede seat bottoms (rather than full leather) continues this theme of cheapness and will not likely hold up well over time, in addition to being difficult to clean. This continues to demonstrate, that while the Americans have come a long way, they just cant get the details right"

Regardless of the interior, I still cant believe they have the audacity to charge for a rear vent. A 2005 Kia Sorento had that - base spec.
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    Porsche is in a unique position in the car industry because they have highly desireable product along with a near-fanatical fanbase. This allows them to bilk the faithful. The fact that they can do it means customers allow them to do it. Obviously people like you and me are not the intended demographic.
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    @defyant15 - Wow, you *nailed* the tone! A shockingly accurate assessment, I'm afraid.
  • kshankarkshankar Member Posts: 175
    @defyant15- Well said and to the point! The trim in the rear passenger area looks plasticky and cheap.
  • bc1960bc1960 Member Posts: 171
    Well, faux suede fabrics are used in quite a few European and other luxury and mass-market cars, can be quite durable, and generally less maintenance-intensive to keep in good condition than leather. I would take them over any of the European vinyls and many of the leathers available in autos.
  • barich1barich1 Member Posts: 143
    edited May 2015
    I helped my grandmother buy a $44k Cadillac ATS. She had to move up from the base model to get heated seats. Even moving up to the "Luxury" trim didn't get her navigation. And the CD player, as it turns out, was an option as well. We just expected there to be one. Since she doesn't have a smartphone, she listens to the radio. How do luxury marques get away with making features that people expect in an economy car expensive options? The Kia Rio has a CD player standard at the lowest trim level.