Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Why Is No One Driving It? - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2015 in Ford
imageWhy Is No One Driving It? - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

The Edmunds long-term 2015 Ford Mustang GT is not as popular among our editors as we anticipated it to be. Why is that?

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    You know the answer to that. You should've gotten the eco-boost convertible. It would've been checked out quite frequently, I'm sure.
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    Pretty much the entire staff has chimed-in to say that they prefer the 5.0, so I don't think that's a given. And the official Edmunds review of the Ecoboost said it's nothing special to drive, and the mileage isn't good enough to make up for it (unless I'm thinking of another site).
  • subatomicsubatomic Member Posts: 140
    The Mustang GT w/ Performance Package has a firm ride, and the Recaro Seats are manual adjustment only, with no heating, cooling or massaging. These Edmunds staff complaints are well documented. In addition, the back seat is too small for practical use. None the less, this car has garnered great reviews from other websites and magazines. The Mustang, as it has been configured here, is intended to be a sports car and not a boulevard cruiser. Perhaps the Edmunds staff should stick to driving plush luxury cars and crossovers....when they are not busy getting manicures :-)
  • kirkhilles_kirkhilles_ Member Posts: 151
    Good points @subatomic - No seat heaters is a deal breaker for at least one writer...
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    i think we can all agree it is the wheels.
    (look at the pic you choose. your subconscious at work.)
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Certainly agree on the ugly wheels. Black on black, yuck. Why not just dump some mud on it too? I have to agree that the dealbreaker is the firm ride. Just like the Miata. You remember the Miata, right? That car hidden in the corner of the garage with the dead battery and hasn't been touched in over a year. It hasn't been touched because I'm sure its a rough ride. I just got "softer" tires on my Miata and it's been the biggest improvement. That small difference between the harsh feeling-every-freaking-bump and a tolerable ride is the difference between being used and not. Lack of utility also means its a more specialized machine. The comfortable SUVs and Trucks out there will log in the massive miles while the Track Suspension cars will not. I stand by my opinion that an ecoboost convertible with Premium options would've gotten a lot of use.
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    Because car nuts are people too. And most people most of the time are better served by some sort of sedan or crossover or minivan or SUV.
  • MCZCOKEMCZCOKE Member Posts: 18
    Maybe it's not as "spoirty" as the car of the year. But it probably gets better fuel economy. LOL
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    subatomic said:

The Mustang GT w/ Performance Package has a firm ride, and the Recaro Seats are manual adjustment only, with no heating, cooling or massaging. These Edmunds staff complaints are well documented. In addition, the back seat is too small for practical use. None the less, this car has garnered great reviews from other websites and magazines. The Mustang, as it has been configured here, is intended to be a sports car and not a boulevard cruiser. Perhaps the Edmunds staff should stick to driving plush luxury cars and crossovers....when they are not busy getting manicures :-)

I don't know that all the Edmunds staffers are boulevardiers and parvenus...I think it's more that like most Americans in 2015, they choose vehicles not upon the basis of the passenger and cargo capacity they will PROBABLY need...they choose vehicles upon the basis of the passenger and cargo capacity they could ever plausibly need. So we have a family of three and they go to Home Depot five times a year...and they're driving around in a Suburban.
  • rmhpmirmhpmi Member Posts: 37
    fordson1 said:

subatomic said:

I don't know that all the Edmunds staffers are boulevardiers and parvenus...I think it's more that like most Americans in 2015, they choose vehicles not upon the basis of the passenger and cargo capacity they will PROBABLY need...they choose vehicles upon the basis of the passenger and cargo capacity they could ever plausibly need. So we have a family of three and they go to Home Depot five times a year...and they're driving around in a Suburban.
    OK, I had to look up " parvenus "...

I suspect the answer is more simple. Have you LOOKED at this particular Mustang? I'd rather not drive a pumpkin on steroids, thanks. If this vehicle's color was anything but this HORID Black & Decker Orange I'd wager the sign out sheet would be multiple pages long.
  • any1thereany1there Member Posts: 21
    If anyone thinks the Mustang is being avoided because of its wheels or body color, well, you must be looking in a mirror; I don't think the Edmunds staff is quite so shallow. The car's configuration, being a less-versatile, large-but-low, 2-seater (virtually) is probably more to blame, especially considering the stress of maneuvering thru daily L.A. traffic (and tight parking garages). And "Ecoboost?" -- I am thoroughly nauseated, anymore, by the silly term.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    edited May 2015
    If there had been many complaints from the staff about the color or the wheels, you guys might be on to something, but I believe that these folks like to pack vehicles to the gills, like other people all do nowadays. Just last week, for a family vacation to the beach, one of them took a tricycle for his child. Now, you can't ride a tricycle on sand, but...

Sure, the manual transmission in the Mustang is more trouble in the horrible traffic that they face, and the narrow Recaros might discourage the muffin-tops out there (all the Edmunds staffers look pretty slim, actually) but really...the idea that for an overnight trip, you take an overnight bag...that's dead and gone.
  • subatomicsubatomic Member Posts: 140
    I just wanted to add....I prefer sports cars. They will always be my hope and aspiration (since childhood), but my sports car could never be my only car. I'd rather save it for sunny, dry weekends and holidays. I try to keep a more practical car to serve as a daily driver for workdays, rainy days or snowy days. With my limited budget, I will try to keep a reliable used Honda or Toyota sedan (or CUV if you prefer) for the "grind" so I have the option of not driving the sports car everywhere all the time. I would not want to have a sports car as my only car since it is less practical and it would be difficult to protect it from bad weather or hazards like road salt. Just my preference...
  • ctpaulctpaul Member Posts: 46
    Everybody says they want a stick and a sport suspension and sporty seats, but when faced with an automatic and heated and cooled seats and a soft ride as an option, they go for the later. The Mustang they picked is not really an ideal "daily driver" especially when faced with a myriad of options to drive on a daily basis. Not too surprising really.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    This is not a practical car for everyday driving. As much as everybody says they love old school manual transmission truth is in everyday city traffic we all want an automatic.
  • sxty8stangsxty8stang Member Posts: 58
    I would venture to say that so many cars have such high horsepower that driving the Mustang versus say the GTI, isn't as big a difference as it used to be. I still think you guys are nuts but I'm trying to rationalize it here .
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    edited May 2015
    I commute in LA everyday, and both my cars have manual transmissions. Traffic is not an excuse if you are an enthusiast.
    The truth of the matter is most of the Edmunds staff are not.

I think that's patently clear by now, reading the endless accounts about seat heaters, cup holders and whether sun roofs are good or not.
  • henry4hirehenry4hire Member Posts: 106
    How can you think that the Edmunds writers are not enthusiast? Pretty wrong job choice if that were the case. When you drive every car out there, you get used to certain things. Why drive the Mustang when there is probably a better car in the garage? To say they are somehow sub-enthusiast is over-reaching. If there is another car that has Mustang levels of performance and it also happens to have seat heaters and better cup holders, then by all means...that is the better choice. I have driven all the Mustang trims and engine configurations, and the V8 is kinda tiresome to drive after a while. Sure you can say I am crazy for saying that, but it is true. It is easy to say, "Free Mustang V8 all week?" Hell yes! But think about it...these guys have their pick and there are simply other better cars to choose from sometimes.