Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

5,000 Miles of Praise, A Few Peeves - 2015 Volvo S60 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2015 in Volvo
image5,000 Miles of Praise, A Few Peeves - 2015 Volvo S60 Long-Term Road Test

The Edmunds team passed the 5,000-mile mark on its long-term 2015 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E. Along the way we've experienced triumphs and failures.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Its amazing that they can't get the speed limit right. I mean, my 10 year old Garmin was always REALLY accurate - I'd see the change in speed and about 5-10 seconds later, I'd see it reflected on the screen. Its also frustrating to see this semi-automated technologies that can't seem to handle even a single task very well, especially given the fact that we're supposed to have fully-self-automated cars in 5 years. Yeah, we'll see...
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580

Its amazing that they can't get the speed limit right. I mean, my 10 year old Garmin was always REALLY accurate -.....

The GPS based ones are good as long as the database is updated regularly to cover any changes and/or if speed limits don't change much in the area.
    The new tech of watching for signs is great in theory but there are plenty of times you end up on a road without seeing a speed limit sign for awhile (which is usually when a cop ends up behind me and I'm panicking because I don't know if it is 35,45 or 55 yet)
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893

The new tech of watching for signs is great in theory but there are plenty of times you end up on a road without seeing a speed limit sign for awhile (which is usually when a cop ends up behind me and I'm panicking because I don't know if it is 35,45 or 55 yet)

If your locale is as bad as Las Vegas for putting up signs, I sympathize entirely. There are multiple residential streets here where, according to the last visible signs, the speed limit is 35 one way and 25 the other. Nevada as a whole, and Las Vegas especially, couldn't road sign their way out of a wet paper bag.
  • mlin32mlin32 Member Posts: 35
    The question regarding the maximum speed recognition, is how it is determining the maximum. Usually in Europe where these systems have been out for awhile, it is based off the sat nav data AND the forward facing camera, with the latter taking precedence in the case of construction or traffic or weather conditions indicating a lower temporary maximum. Furthermore, most other countries have a national default maximum limit depending on road type and standardised signage so the display has an easier time keeping up.

The maximum limits displayed on my Mazda's Navteq-based sat nav are off quite frequently so this is not a feature I use in the US. NC follows a surprisingly consistent approach to speeds statewide (a byproduct of the US's 2nd largest state-controlled road network) so it's safe to assume 90km/h unless otherwise signed every 500 metres outside urban areas.
  • priusdriver101priusdriver101 Member Posts: 17
    I would take the Volvo to the dealer and ask them to fix the speedometer.