Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

First 5,000-Mile Service Not Cheap - 2015 Nissan Murano Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2015 in Nissan
imageFirst 5,000-Mile Service Not Cheap - 2015 Nissan Murano Long-Term Road Test

Three months after joining the long-term fleet, our 2015 Nissan Murano required a 5,000-mile service. We took it to Puente Hills Nissan for an oil change and tire rotation.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kshankarkshankar Member Posts: 175
    I used to take my Infiniti FX35 to the local Nissan dealer for oil change and tire rotation and it was $29.95 with coupon before tax.
    Excellent service at the local Nissan dealer.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    In order to decide if this is a reasonable price, we would need to know what the oil capacity is and whether or not it's synthetic oil.

And yes, I could probably google that info, but I think the post needs to present it.
  • grijongrijon Member Posts: 147
    edited May 2015
    I agree with @fordson1 that whether it's steep or not depends on what was received.

I agree with Cameron that I'd be shocked to receive that bill for an oil change and tire rotation.

All on my own I'm surprised to hear that a tire rotation would be $25 by itself!

All in all, very good post; thanks, Cameron.
  • dldavedldave Member Posts: 46
    Own a Land Rover for a little bit. It's $90 to drive the vehicle in to the service bay, $90 to write up the service order, $90 to pop the hood, $90 to open the drain plug, $90 put it back in, $90 to unscrew the oil cap, $180 to put oil in, and so on... It's why I no longer own a Land Rover because it LOVED trips to LR service.
  • foxgtrfoxgtr Member Posts: 4
    @fordson1

The 2015 Murano takes 4.9 quarts of conventional 5W30. With filter, it's $17.00 in parts. Cameron paid way too much for a conventional oil change and it's not the fault of the car. She really should have called around.
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    edited May 2015
    You want a dealer that is using the oil change as a loss leader to get you in the door not one that is actually trying to make a few dollars off of it (as evil as that is)
    foxgtr said:

The 2015 Murano takes 4.9 quarts of conventional 5W30. With filter, it's $17.00 in parts.

Actually the owners manual online shows 5 1/8 qt of 0W20 which is going to be between $20 to $30 depending on the oil even at Walmart and at a dealer it would likely be over $40 with a filter that lists at nearly $9 on top of that.

$90 is obviously a lot of money compared to what it would be elsewhere but with a going labor rate of likely $130-$150 an hour you are looking at less than half an hours labor.
    grijon said:

All on my own I'm surprised to hear that a tire rotation would be $25 by itself!

At the risk of being the devil's advocate: even Stokes is trying to pay their employees, cover their overhead and make some profit at the end of the day.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    First off, Walmart offers Mobil 1 5 quarts of 0W-20 for $24. Quaker State is just $14.50. I was horrified when I took our Pilot for its "free" oil change as since I had them rotate the tires too, that alone was $35. Yes, $35 to rotate the tires! I do it myself now and enjoy saving that everytime I rotate the tires and get to use Mobil 1 with the highest quality filter I can get. I guess there was a reason why this dealer wasn't busy.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    So $35 worth of oil & filter, with tax. Yeah, that's a ripoff. And since they don't have A-techs doing oil changes an rotations, you have to worry about whether or not it was done correctly.

No, thanks. I'll just do it myself...
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    I've never had any of my cars oil changed at a shop, ever.

That being said it seems funny to compare what you can buy the parts for at Walmart with what a professional shop charges for them and the labor. Do people do that with restaurants? This food is only worth $2.50 and you are charging me $12???? This $8 steak is $45??? If you learned to sew you could make your clothes for a fraction of the cost of them in a store.

I'd say pretty much anything you can do yourself that you pay someone else to do is going to look like a ripoff. Especially if it isn't a one man mobile operation with next to no overhead.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    My Infiniti dealer (same engine) charged $49.95 for an oil change.. I don't think any of the Nissan engines use synthetic.

You really have to ask first... Some BMW dealers charge $139 for a 7 quart synthetic change.. my dealer charges $79.95. Of course, it comes with a laundry list of needed repairs/service... lol.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I swore off oil changes and rotations ~3 years ago on my 60th birthday. But it's a hassle just to take the car in, and I have a warmer spot to do the work now, so I may start doing them myself again. Lots cheaper at home for sure. Rotations just aren't fun period.
  • misterkyumisterkyu Member Posts: 3
    I didn't know Hyundai offered free maintenance...
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    The price for a five quart jug of Mobile 1 at Wal Mart is almost $14.00 less than the same product is at a parts store. The discount that a shop gets on that price from the parts store can be as little as nothing to maybe about $6.00. Try to mark that up correctly like any other retail business and, well this thread demonstrates what they have to deal with. Meanwhile even at a full mark-up, it ends up not being enough profit to even bother providing the service, which is why many resort to looking for additional services.

That being said it seems funny to compare what you can buy the parts for at Walmart with what a professional shop charges for them and the labor. Do people do that with restaurants? This food is only worth $2.50 and you are charging me $12???? This $8 steak is $45??? If you learned to sew you could make your clothes for a fraction of the cost of them in a store.

There is too much price pressure in play for the shops to survive anyway. Poor profits equal poor wages and that means the trade can't attract the kind of talent that it really needs when it comes to being able to deal with the high tech engines and transmissions, let alone the robotics that control everything. The kids that are smart enough that they could learn to be great techs have way too many other career opportunities that will have them make a much better living with no where near the physical and mental demands that come with being an automotive technician. Now add to that the quick lube effect where what was once an entryway to a career is little more than a dead end job. The result is there is no career path to bring them into the trade and keep them long enough to learn the ropes and be good at it.

Time and time again some one comes along and writes an article preaching about what they think service should cost when really they don't have any clue about what it really costs to try and run a shop. But that's not new, that kind of stuff has been going on for years and that has played a major role in thinning the technician talent pool. Anytime you see another consumer post about a repair issue requiring multiple visits to be dealt with you really should be proud of yourselves for contributing to the situation. About the only thing missing would be you letting that poster know how glad you are to have saved a penny at their expense. But wait, that would require your coming to grips with the correlation of the two events, that's not going to happen. But you can keep trashing the shops and techs any chance you get, or else simply make up a reason to do so even if a real one isn't readily available. Meanwhile, everyone will continue to discourage their kids from becoming techs in order to keep them from wearing that target you to take aim at.

BTW, if you ever decide to take a different approach and start supporting the techs that you need the shops to have, it's going to take some twenty years just to try and undo the damage to the trade and its people that topics like this one have wrought.
  • priusdriver101priusdriver101 Member Posts: 17
    That's not that bad... It helps resale to service it at the dealer, so it might be worth a bit extra.
  • cameronrcameronr Member Posts: 38
    Oil used in this service was a Valvoline synthetic blend with viscosity 5W-30. The owner's manual recommends 0W-20 but also notes that 5W-30 is an acceptable alternative.
    EDMUNDS NEWS AND REVIEWS EDITOR
    cameronr said:

Oil used in this service was a Valvoline synthetic blend with viscosity 5W-30. The owner's manual recommends 0W-20 but also notes that 5W-30 is an acceptable alternative.

The service manual is not in agreement that a 5W30 synthetic blend is a viable replacement for a 2015 Nissan Murano with the VE35QDE engine. In fact it specifies a 0W20 Ester based full synthetic, (Group V base stock) and does not offer any substitutes. The 2014 engine allowed for 5W30. There are significant changes between the two years. Between the low tension piston rings, and the variable valve timing components, a 5W30 would be too thick and not flow as fast as a product that actually meets the specifications. This is one of the times that if a given product doesn't truly meet a manufacturers specifications, or if there is any doubt at all then the O.E. manufacturers brand product would be the best choice.

Now isn't it a little disturbing that vehicles can get serviced at the dealership and the pricing pressure displayed in threads like this one result in them potentially using the wrong products?
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    This is why I do my own maintenance and repair, or go to shops that aren't also trying to sell me a car.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    And will your warranty not cover you when the engine blows?
  • markjtbmarkjtb Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2015
    You people who think you have to use ow20 oil or whatever you are told or think you know need to read this. http://www.smartsynthetics.com/articles/5w20oil.htm
    Thanks for the link. There are so many things wrong with that article that it should get some good discussion going. Let's start with this. 5W20, and 0W20 are not just for fuel economy. Many newer engine designs use low tension piston rings and the heavier oils are far to thick for the oil control rings to control. On top of that, the thinner that an oil is the better it can cool the components that it comes into contact with. The thicker that an oil is, the more likely overheating of some components (pistons on GDI engines for example) is going to occur.

It is a myth that you can look at an SAE grade such as 5W20, 5W30, 0W30, 10W40 and reliably judge the kinematic and dynamic viscosities. A product rated for 5W30 that is dexos approved is as thin as, if not thinner than a product sold as SAE 5W20 SN GF5. A 5W30 or a 0W30 approved for BMW's LL-01 is thicker than an SAE 10W40.
  • partsmike1partsmike1 Member Posts: 1
    Did the service writer inform you nad have you sign a repair order with the price of the service? My Nissan dealer has tried to pull the same sort of upcharge. I make sure I know the cost of the oil/filter change and I use America's Tire to rotate and balance which is free. The highest I've paid is $34.95.