Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2008 GMC Acadia Problems

ashley85nicoleashley85nicole Member Posts: 3
edited May 2015 in GMC
In 2012 I bought a 2008 GMC Acadia SLT I was nervous about having a car payment but excited to have a nice family SUV. The first week I was driving home from the store driving around 40mph my SUV started slowing down I was pressing the gas with nothing but my RPM's going higher and higher as my speed was going slower and slower. I pulled on the side of the road. Had to have my SUV  towed to the GMC dealership so they could fix my transmission. I was hoping now maybe I won't have anymore issues boy was I wrong. The first time it rained after buying my SUV the lights above the driver &  passenger seat filled up with water and soaked my car it also has a leak in the  floorboard of the driver seat and if you go through a car wash it sprays in through the  passenger side door. The  steering wheel squeaks as I drive. I was told at anytime driving down the road my  steering column could drop and I would have no way to steer my SUV  which would result in a bad wreck. I have three children I want a safe  vehicle not one that could take a life. Next I started getting an alert saying low oil pressure I took it back in to find out I have a oil leak under my motor and they would need to remove the motor to fix it. All I'm hearing is money money money. Then my  transmission started doing the same thing I had fixed. I will be driving and out of no where I have no go the gas peddle moves the RPM's but does not make my car go. This happens almost everyday sometimes when I start my car sometimes when I'm in the middle of driving. I have to stop turn it off and try starting it over and over if it will shift into L I know it will shift its self for a while anyways when I say a while that could be 3mins or an hour you never know. Oh and my headlights now only work one at a time. I got them fixed them worked together for a week or two then back to one at a time. My check engine light came on in the middle of this madness the auto store said it need some sort of  sensor that helps control the gas that is used to make it more economic. I'm just done it I fix all these issues one major one I already fixed once I will pay more than what my SUV is worth when I check on trading it off with so many issues they will give me $2000 less than what I owe. It makes me sick I'm a working mom of three I finally got I nice family car that I baby &  take excellent care of only to find out it is full of  unsafe problems. So I am in the market for a new SUV maybe a truck I would love to have another GMC Acadia but scared I will regretted it if they all have these issues. I don't feel my SUV is safe I need to make a  decision. Has anyone had a 2014 Acadia with minimal issues? Are these issues common with an Acadia should I try another brand? 
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    Let's start with this "The steering wheel squeaks as I drive. I was told at anytime driving down the road my steering column could drop and I would have no way to steer my SUV which would result in a bad wreck." Who-ever told you that is some one that doesn't know anything about cars. Your steering column isn't going to drop no matter what is going on. Squeaks can be annoying, but they don't always mean that something is broken and needs to be repaired. Have someone with proper training and experience advise you on that noise. Without listening to the sound and investigating it anything someone else says about a noise is little more than a guess but I've had the clock springs in the column make an audible noise and there was nothing that could be (or should be) done to make it go away.

You wrote "The first time it rained after buying my SUV the lights above the driver & passenger seat filled up with water and soaked my car it also has a leak in the floorboard of the driver seat and if you go through a car wash it sprays in through the passenger side door." Water leaks can cause all kinds of problems that can be quite expensive and never ending. Has that been addressed and stopped?

From there the engine oil leak is one of the biggest concerns. Depending on how big the leak is, adding as needed can protect the engine but there is always a concern that the oil will hit the exhaust which could be hot enough to ignite it. Make sure whether that is possible or not. As long as that isn't likely adding oil is cheap when compared to repairing the engine right now.

Has anyone pulled codes and performed real diagnostics with the transmission concern?

The Check Engine light and the code that gets set when it turns on doesn't always directly equate to a part that is bad and the parts stores shouldn't be telling you anything more than what code was pulled. A trouble code tells us what test failed, not what part is bad. It could of course be a faulty component but the code alone doesn't prove that, so you need more testing done to find out.

With the headlight issues and everything you posted here what you really need is a qualified technician to work through the problems.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A TV reporter is looking for a family with a car in need of repairs, but is holding off because the estimates (preferably $1,000 or more) are too high and/or they can’t afford to pay for the repairs at this time. The reporter will work with Edmunds to evaluate the estimate and help the family find ways to bring down the cost of the repairs. If you'd like to participate, please reach out to pr@edmunds.com by no later than Friday, May 29, 2015.
  • Options
    valveguy2valveguy2 Member Posts: 7
    2008 GMC Acadia : Water leaks common problem. You must have the Sunroof . Drain holes plug up.

I was on this forum ears ago and hundreds of people complained about wet carpet, electrical shorts etc.
  • Options
    valveguy2valveguy2 Member Posts: 7
    By the way, I had a 2007. the 2007 and 2008 were rolling disasters. The transmission on these cars is also very week.