Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Sizing It Up - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2015 in Ford
imageSizing It Up - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Is the 2015 Ford Mustang GT larger than the car it replaces? Sure feels like it from behind the wheel, but let's run the numbers to find out.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    it looks big. maybe the hood is too long. the car too short.

the new camaro, from what i have seen so far in the photos, looks proportionally just right. i favor ford domestically, but i am no fanboy. unfortunately, i despise chevy cars (trucks: meh?) more than i like ford; so i doubt i'll ever seriously consider the new camaro as a replacement, but anything is possible.
  • Options
    nedmundonedmundo Member Posts: 33
    I've driven a 2015 Mustang GT, and agree with your assessment. The pronounced sense of size and mass is by far my biggest issue with the Mustang, with the overly muted exhaust a distant second. The decent visibility, good ergonomics, and tight turning radius make up for the size to some degree, but I don't think I could live with a car that large.
  • Options
    7driver7driver Member Posts: 145
    Sadlier is back at Edmunds? Interesting. If 1487 returns, count my mind as officially blown. (What ever happened to 1487, anyway? I came back from vacation one day and he had completely disappeared.)
  • Options
    misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    Oh man...can we revive the Sadlier-1487-Bodyblue love triangle? Or is it something that will only be great once, and would be pointless to revive -- like N.W.A.?
  • Options
    subatomicsubatomic Member Posts: 140
    edited May 2015
    I drove the 2005 body style at least twice as a rental car. Compared to my old Honda Prelude, the Mustang felt huge and the hood seemed to stretch on forever. Also, the outward visibility wasn't quite what I was used to. It seemed like a car that might be a challenge to drive on tight streets and in confined spaces. In spite of this initial impression, I thought the Mustang was still a great car and I would not mind driving it daily. The car just takes some getting used to. If you drove this car on a regular basis, you would get used to driving it without thinking too much about the size and dimensions.
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    Looks more larded up than my XKR, and that's not a small car by any means.
  • Options
    nedmundonedmundo Member Posts: 33
    I should clarify that, despite my issues with the sense of size and mass, I love the Mustang GT. It's an excellent car, and IMO a huge improvement over the previous generation. I also agree with subatomic that one could get used to the size, but living in the downtown of a large city where I need to parallel park and fit into my very tight garage, it would be just too much of a PITA for me. In fact, most two-doors would be a hassle. My Ford of choice would be the Focus ST, despite its unwieldy turning radius.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Not good when a car "drives" bigger than it is, especially a performance car. The Camaro's driving position is worse than the Mustang's but it's suspension and steering tuning makes it feel nimble. I was behind a 2015 Stang in traffic the other day and the way the rear end bobbed up and down after hitting a big bump I think Ford still has work to do. It looked like the rear shocks were blown.
  • Options
    mtnbiker8mtnbiker8 Member Posts: 39
    Some decently light wheels, a loud exhaust and careful selection of options would take about 100lbs off Edmunds loaded tester. Wouldn't make the car smaller but it does feel a bit more nimble. And yes - you do get used to it. I simply adore this car. It has a great personality and is simply fun. And as always - the Mustang is a palette on which you can do about anything from mellow GT to track star to drag monster given the wildly diverse after-market.
  • Options
    allthingshonda - yes. The factory shocks are a little under damped (that is the consensus view). Aftermarket shocks are available now with more on the way. First year growing pains I'm afraid.
  • Options
    ducky10ducky10 Member Posts: 27
    Had the Mustang eco boost twice now as a rental. Seems twice the size as my GTI, with less room, visibility, storage, and playfulness. The 2.3 turbo is not nearly as smooth and responsive as the 2.0t VW.
    I had a 1986 mustang GT. For all its lack of structural integrity, feckless brakes and desire to swap ends, it was the right size, roomier, and fun. Wish the new Mustang was a foot shorter, 3 inches taller and 70 inches wide. And the hatchback of the 86 made for a practical pony which didn't ruin the lines. Bring back the Fox!
  • Options
    s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    so the mustang is a great car if you replace the wheels, shocks/struts, and exhaust?

Fine when my '06 was $25k new. At 33K to start... not so much.
    mtnbiker8 said:

allthingshonda - yes. The factory shocks are a little under damped (that is the consensus view). Aftermarket shocks are available now with more on the way. First year growing pains I'm afraid.

• Options
    s197gt - and the gov't says there's no inflation. Ha. But, yeah the factory version is a little soft IMO. And it's still faster on a track than the Boss 302 (over $50K). A few aftermarket parts and you have something that will keep up with performance cars more than double the cost. All depends on your perspective I guess.