Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    Helped a relative via phone today with some car shopping. At first, she told me her requirements were a small AWD SUV with decent warranty and good gas mileage for $200/mo. Whoa! That's a helluva tough order. I told her she was pretty much SOL but to go look at some things and get an idea of what $200/mo can buy her. I suggested a used CX5 for starters. She has a CRV now that's on its last legs.

A little time goes by and she calls me from a notoriously overpriced dealer to tell me about a CX7 for $16k (non-CPO at a non-mazda dealer). Well... you ain't getting a $16k car for $200/mo, and that one is NOT good on gas. Of course, the budget has now stretched. Ok, so I inform her of a CPO RAV4 just down the street from where she is for $15,900. At least that has a good warranty and far better mileage. While she's heading there, I come across a CPO Elantra Touring a few miles in the other direction. OK, its not an SUV, but its a wagon, its got low miles, and its loaded up with leather, moonroof, heated seats, etc. Oh, and its only $12,900. So I text her those details. About 30 mins later, she informs me they are now talking lease terms on a NEW RAV4. SIGH. Nothing quite like having a plan and completely throwing it away during 1 day of shopping. In any case, I think she did OK, if not blowing away her budget. They gave her $1700 for her 150k-mile CRV that has no headlights, bad wheel bearings, and an engine apparently so far gone that her mechanic told her "don't come back with this car again." On top of that, she threw down another $2k and $230/mo. I'm not sure what model she got, but she said something about a backup camera and I believe moonroof, which would mean an XLE.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    To do that on a 150K CRV she must be a little tough on cars.

When I bought my Mazda 5 I was looking past CPO RAV4. I see them now and say "that's a nice enough vehicle," but not regretting my decision a bit.

If going new those new HRVs look very nice.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Well, I can see why she was in a hurry to dump the CRV and drive something decent. She discovered with your helpful suggestions she could actually afford to get something new with a warranty. It will probably be a huge improvement. Hope it works out for her.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517
    hard to work through the #s with the sketchy details, but from the "smell test", it is probably not too bad.

at least she is out of a dying money pit, did not put up too many $, and has a nice car for a relatively modest amount.

probably a modest amount of seal clubbing (her being the seal!), but I have seen much worse!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    stickguy said:

probably a modest amount of seal clubbing (her being the seal!), but I have seen much worse!

Well, if it turns out to be an LE, my quick numbers tell me she may have overpaid by about $750 compared to the advertised lease special.... BUT, if you figure they overpaid on her trade, its pretty much spot on with that special. If its an XLE, she did well.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    I managed to stay away from the dealerships today.  Cleaned the Pilot inside & out with some help from the kiddos.  After I dried it off, I decided it needed a good wax job, so I busted out my Griot's Garage 6" random orbital and here's what happened:

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

shines up pretty nice.

too bad it doesn't have a power liftgate though.
    :p

stickguy said:

shines up pretty nice.

too bad it doesn't have a power liftgate though.
    :p
    Glass smooth too. B)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    edited May 2015
    nyccarguy said:

Just as a reference point, my Legacy 2.5i premium payments are $405.07 per month with 2.9% interest for 72 months with the 5 year 100K Subaru Warranty.

I don't want to see the bill on my gas credit card (separate card) on the Yukon. It wants premium fuel and the dealer only gave me a half full tank at delivery. One thing I really like, that both BMW and GM do right by me, is the fuel range calculation. I know they're not that precise, but I like it when they count down by one mile at a time. VW and Audi round off by five mile increments. My mom's Volvo won't give you a range once it's below 25 miles or so, which is exactly when you need that calculation the worst!

The Pilot looks nice all shined up! I think I will have to get a random orbital for the black paint on the Yukon. It has quite a few swirls. I can't see the roof, not sure I will do it (or even how I will wash it), but everything else is fair game.
    get a little cheap plastic step (Like a kid would have in front of the sink) and keep it in the garage. easy to hose off. Just enough to get high enough to reach the middle of the roof. I did that with the odyssey, but can reach the top of the RDX by stretching.

or ignore it. if you can't see it, who cares?

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,024

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    nyccarguy said:

I managed to stay away from the dealerships today.  Cleaned the Pilot inside & out with some help from the kiddos.  After I dried it off, I decided it needed a good wax job, so I busted out my Griot's Garage 6" random orbital and here's what happened:

Show off ! ;)
    Yeah, but look at all those driveway cracks!

The grip on those tires must be unbelievable!
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    nyccarguy said:

I managed to stay away from the dealerships today.  Cleaned the Pilot inside & out with some help from the kiddos.  After I dried it off, I decided it needed a good wax job, so I busted out my Griot's Garage 6" random orbital and here's what happened

Looks great! I've always wanted one of those orbitals from Griot's - I assume you like it?

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,726
    Fintail, thanks for the reminder of the "Realistic" under dash tape player! A gift from my Dad when I got my driver's license. To augment the AM radio in the '71 Saab 99 he had a Realistic cassette player installed, complete with Realistic speakers in back. Pop in "Who's Next," and ready to cruise! Chicks dig faded red Saabs...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

stickguy said:

Yeah, but look at all those driveway cracks!

My driveway has been in bad shape since I bought the house almost 5 years ago. This winter just made it awful! That's #3 on the to do list. Kitchen #1 is getting done this summer. The exterior needs painting (next summer) #2, and as you can see the driveway is completely shot (maybe next summer as well) #3.

breld said:

nyccarguy said:

I managed to stay away from the dealerships today.  Cleaned the Pilot inside & out with some help from the kiddos.  After I dried it off, I decided it needed a good wax job, so I busted out my Griot's Garage 6" random orbital and here's what happened

Looks great! I've always wanted one of those orbitals from Griot's - I assume you like it?
    Yes I'm happy with the orbital as well as every product I've ever bought from Griot's. The wheel cleaner, the Heavy Duty Wheel cleaner, Speed Shine, Best In show Wax, the Clay, the Machine Polish...

fezo said:

The grip on those tires must be unbelievable!

If you look at it on an Apple product, it looks right:)

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    nyccarguy said:

Or just click on the picture to see it full size; that takes me to
    the normal version on my HP laptop.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Called VW service just now, no news on my Golf, so looks like the '15 red Jetta will be staying for another night. Definitely like the push button start though can see it being a potential issue down the line. Has the same 1.8 as the Golf but seems a better fit in this vehicle and assuming it is a heavier vehicle since it's a bit longer in length...have been keeping it outside since don't want to have any issues with the garage door or the A3. Funny, the neighbor came over and asked my wife if I bought another vehicle, again!! She laughed and said no, just a loaner...besides, my vehicle always goes into the garage, always! Had all 4 vehicles home for the long weekend so I just let it sit and we used the kids vehicles...the Versa needed an oil change/rotation and an alignment check, got her a 3 year policy which came out to be well worth the price.
    Guy comes out and says the battery is "marginal" and as he starts with the price I ask him to check his computer and sure enough, we replaced it in September '13 so a new one is installed gratis! Glad I service the vehicles at the same place and keep all the receipts as not sure they would've looked if the kid went in by herself. She's almost at 72k and hoping to get this puppy up to 100k before we start looking, she drives a lot for her job so don't want her in something that continually breaks down.

The Sandman :)B)

P.S. Even though she likes Nissan, plan to show her the HR-V when the time comes as I think it'll be the perfect vehicle for her needs at that time. Also, would love one in the family to be honest!! And I plan to keep my Golf for a long while!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited May 2015

nyccarguy said:

Or just click on the picture to see it full size; that takes me to
    the normal version on my HP laptop.

Clicking to full size doesn't help on my Lenovo laptop. And as near as I can tell, you can't reorient a photo here after it's been uploaded. But how would you know if it's "sideways" you're on an Apple? OS6 may have some help if anyone wants to play with it.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    stever said:

Clicking to full size doesn't help on my Lenovo laptop.

In Firefox and Chrome, clicking on the picture orients it normally. In IE 9 it stays sideways. Hmmmm.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited May 2015
    Heh, not here, at least in Chrome. And if I click the photo in Chrome, I get a blank page. :p

The "family" iPad is in Indiana today, so I can't mess with it. Guess I could turn the desktop on or play with it in Windows 10 on the old Thinkpad, but it's easier just to turn this laptop sideways. :D

Drove by "auto row" here this morning and it was dead. Kind of early but still. And I think my neighbor who manages a car lot is home today - probably fried from the weekend sale.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790

plan to show her the HR-V when the time comes as I think it'll be the perfect vehicle for her needs at that time. Also, would love one in the family to be honest!! And I plan to keep my Golf for a long while!!

It is WAY more fun to plan other people's purchases than your own, any way! B)

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    Sandy, why do you think the push button start on the loaner would be an issue long-term?  Just curious.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
    Sure enough on my desktop clicking it gets me a right side up picture.

My driveway looks a little better but has issues at the apron where I can't put most cars in without turning the car just so or end up scraping the bottom of the car. The Prius can't go in at all. That one's above the kitchen in priorities. Supposed to be mid-June. Solar gets installed starting July 1.
    Camrys practically being given away. Offer on table for 3/36 leases, 1k OOP at inception for tax and dmv. $185/mo. This for an SE, MSRP $24,900.

Kid may be getting one even if last on her wish list!

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    @stickguy - wow! for the purpose of the car, sure is hard to pass on that kind of deal.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    stickguy said:

Camrys practically being given away. Offer on table for 3/36 leases, 1k OOP at inception for tax and dmv. $185/mo. This for an SE, MSRP $24,900.

Kid may be getting one even if last on her wish list!

That is an incredible deal. For the purposes of basic transportation I don't see how you can beat that.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    Yeah, wow. That's pretty incredible. Almost tempts me to lease. LOL
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    stick, you're killing me with this ... why aren't you picking out the color and signing the paperwork?

Let's recap:

You wanted a cheap lease (~ $200/mo). Sell the Volvo and payoff the RDX. You didn't have a particular make / model in mind, just 4 doors and some decent amenities.

Your timeline was July/August - just in time for your daughter to return to school.

You, foolishly :smile: decide to start looking in May, and now you've got an offer that is under your price point for a car that is a trim level above what you thought you'd get.

Unless the daughter is willing to pay the delta between the Camry and the Legacy (what, $70-80 month?), you should take this deal. Heck, if I was offered that deal when my lease is up, I would jump on it as well.

This is .75% of MSRP - I don't see many lease deals at that rate except on the Q40 and Q50, and I know that's out of your budget.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    I may be crazy, but I actually LIKE the Camry in the SE model trim. I would be all over that deal if I were in your shoes.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    edited May 2015
    It's two months too soon... I'd wait for the July programs, at least...

Who buys a car in less than three months? ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Well I did but actually needed a car. 

Stick wouldn't feel right if he bought ahead of schedule.  He'd rather pay more for the lease in August. 
    edited May 2015
    I dunno, guys .... it's been almost 4 hours since stick's last post, and he works from home, IIRC.

Is it possible he's at the dealer getting a new Camry?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Who takes 3 months to buy a car? :D
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    nyccarguy said:

I must have received the cleaning vibes from you as I was doing a deep cleaning of our Pilot. Did some minor touch ups, cleaned the leather, nooks and crannies. A clean ride always drives better! I've been toying with my wife suggesting that it is time to trade. She is not amused, but I am.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

you people are enablers, I hope you know that (my wife tells me to stay away from your kind).

did not buy yet. But did look more. No major rush, since all the prices are good through end of month. But yes, the Camry is the cheapskate deal of the year.

looked at and drove an Accord sport. was nice. Kid liked. will not be close to that price. If I bust my hump shopping, I might get a bite this weekend at $225. maybe. still, not bad.

the better news (man, I love email negotiating!) is on the Mazda. I thought it would be a non-contender. But, I now have quote in hand for a 3i touring at $205/mo. Close enough at $20/mo to let her pick which she likes. And the 3 is her dream. That and the Subaru.

honestly, how many 19 YO girls are going to fall in love with a Legacy? I guess this genetics thing might be for real. Sadly, I can't see that ever being close enough financially (I suppose I can just counter their offer when I get it (pending a return email) with "$225/mo, and I take it this weekend". If they say no, move on.

so, tomorrow we are going out to drive the camry and 3 back to back. It has been a while since she drove the 3, and she only did the Camry on a few laps of the test track. Will be interesting to see, after driving a bunch of mid size cars (Legacy, Sonata, Accord and Camry) then hopping in a compact, if she is still going to be as gaga over it!

My guess, is we pick one of 3 and Camry over the weekend and pull trigger. both are so cheap, why not? How much better could I possibly do in a few months, if not worse?

well, continuing that thought, probably not much different, unless they start running out of inventory. waiting also gives me time to unload Volvo, and means we have it longer 3 summers from now (though Mazda does allow you to go month to month for 3 months at the end if you want).

I keep thinking of doing nothing and just shipping her back in the Sonata (why did I get such a loaded car?) and finding something else for me. while it sounds like fun, if I am having trouble deciding with such a narrow requirements band, going to shop knowing I could get anything my not be conducive to making a decision (and may drive my wife insane!)

I really was just intending to do legwork this week. wasn't quite expecting such strong deals!

actually, it is only what, 5 weeks until July 4th weekend and July Programs. so not a big deal either way now or then.

Speaking of the Legacy, I just filled up today. I matched my personal best tank with a 28.9 mpg average. The OBC said 30.4. Now I'm not one to complain about gas mileage. The Legacy has a generously sized 18.5 gal gas tank. As with any car I buy, whether an get 25 mpg or 35 mpg it still costs me the same to fill the tank every week. I'd classify my Legacy's acceleration somewhere between adequate & sluggish. The way the car accelerates, I should be getting closer to the 36 mpg it says on the sticker.

Tonight after I left Costco, I have to take I-95 home. Now it is somewhat of a tricky on ramp. It is an uphill, almost hairpin to the right, then you have to merge left onto the highway. Traffic is moving at a decent clip and the highway itself has a slight uphill graduation. I floored it and it just felt like the car was barely moving. With this car, if someone wants to be not nice and not let me in, there's nothing I can do but stop.

For the most part I'm used to it, but there are certain times when I need that giddy up!

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,387
    I think you're enabling yourself, Stick. 

I like the 3 at 205 a month.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    edited May 2015
    Managed a quick test drive over the weekend in an A3. We were out on Monday to look at some furniture and the Audi dealer was on the way, well as long as you took an earlier exit :smile: . Back to the car...

2015 A3 2.0T quattro Premium.
    Nav Package and Driver Assistance
    Black over grey

Looks great. Well proportioned but it does appear to sit a bit high.
    Interior size is good for a car of this size. Neither the SO or myself are big people but it was quite comfortable for us and the kiddo in the back.
    The quality of the interior materials is amazing at this price point. Better in some areas than my 335i.
    Fit and finish is solid of course but of course the car had 30 miles on it

Loved the 2.0 and quattro. In this application its tuned to 220hp so its comparable to a GTI with the power package.

Drives great, plenty of pick up when you need it although a bit more turbo lag than I expected. Didn't even notice the transmission shifting.

Steering is a bit light. Would be interested to drive one with the sport pack as you can adjust the steering and ride. Trunk tight but certainly functional. Not likely to be taking a family of 4 to the beach for a week in a car this size anyway.

Quick summary I realize but overall I'm impressed and its on the list to along with the GTI to replace the 335i.

Of course still too early on the lease on the BMW to do anything so while the temptation was strong, the dollars and cents still don't make sense!

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    Will be interesting to see the results of back-to-back 3 vs. Camry. Will the 3's greater NVH turn her off back to back? Too bad she is not having to pay herself, that would drive her to the less expensive payment quickly I suspect. Maybe suggest you will cover the lowest-cost option and she needs to pick up any overage herself?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

I think you're enabling yourself, Stick. 

I like the 3 at 205 a month.

Yep, at nearly the same money the 3 would appeal to me much, much more than the Camry.

$20 a month I'm not worrying about. Close enough, more than that, she can get a 2nd job!

I am curious about if driving and room will override style. That's why you test drive!

I'm sure there are experts who can address this question ... and, if you're not an expert, then weigh in with an opinion, please:

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/34615/general/x/bank-denied-to-lease-me-what-can-i-do-now#latest

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,387
    stickguy said:

$20 a month I'm not worrying about. Close enough, more than that, she can get a 2nd job!

I am curious about if driving and room will override style. That's why you test drive!

Something else to think about: what is her parking situation like? A Camry is a much bigger target than the Mazda3, and on a lease, you're definitely taking a risk on a college campus...at least, I was on mine.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI