Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Low Oil and Service Due - 2015 Porsche Macan S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2015 in Porsche
imageLow Oil and Service Due - 2015 Porsche Macan S Long-Term Road Test

On a recent road trip, Dan Edmunds cycled our 2015 Porsche Macan S past the 20,000-mile mark. When he handed the keys over, he warned me about the service indicator, but I was surprised to see a low-oil warning just a minute or so from my house.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dvanosdvanos Member Posts: 52
    edited May 2015
    ""After a few quiet minutes, he apologized. "Sorry sir, I quoted you for the two-year service, not the 20,000-mile service. This one's $750." Sounds like he was trying to pull a fast one. Can you just ask for an oil change and tire rotation instead of a 20K mile service?
  • Options
    reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    I understand that generally speaking, poor people can't purchase high-line vehicles, but does that mean the people that can need to get hosed?
    Thieves.
  • Options
    yellowbalyellowbal Member Posts: 234
    Porsche itemizes how they're going to bend you over:

Porsche Macan Service Pricing
    20,000 mile Intermediate Maintenance Service
    • Full Synthetic Oil & Filter Service
    • Complete Brake Fluid Flush & Fill
    • Complete Multi-Point Inspection Report
    • Replace Cabin Air Filter
    Macan S ..............................................................$689.57
    Macan Turbo.........................................................$689.57
    If the mileage for scheduled maintenance is not reached, intermediate maintenance
    must be performed after 2, 6, 10 … years at the latest.
    Electrics
    • Windshield wiper/washer system, headlight washer: Check function
    • Horn: Check function
    • Diagnosis system: Read out fault memory; reset maintenance interval
    • Tire: Check tire pressure (TPMS)
    Outside the vehicle
    • Check wiper blades
    • All headlights: Check adjustment
    Under the vehicle
    • Tires and spare wheel: Check condition
    • Brake lines: Visual inspection for damage, correct routing and corrosion
    • Brake hoses: Visual inspection for damage
    • Brake system: Visual inspection of brake pads and brake discs for wear
    • Drive shafts: Visual inspection of the boots for leaks and damage
    • Radiators and air intakes: Visual inspection for external soiling and blockage
    • Cardan shaft: Visual inspection of the rubber bellows for damage
    • Tire sealant: Check shelf-life
    Engine compartment
    • Coolant: Check level and antifreeze
    • Windshield wiper/washer system: Check fluid level; check window cleaner or ..
    antifreeze, depending on time of year
    During road or dynamometer test:
    • Remote control, front seats, electric parking brake and foot brake
    (also operating travel), engine, steering, transmission, Park Assist, automatic
    speed control, PSM switch, heating, air conditioning and instruments:
    Check function
    • Oils, fluids: Visual inspection for leaks
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    edited May 2015
    Replace Cabin Air Filter
    Macan S ..............................................................$689.57
    Macan Turbo.........................................................$689.57

For that kind of money the entire dashboard must have to be removed and the filter must be capable of filtering toxic gases and anthrax out of the air.

And this is a good example of why the good ole dipstick is still needed. My car can also give a low oil level warning but I can confirm the level with the fail proof dipstick. Something as critical to the engine like oil should not rely solely on electronic sensors.
  • Options
    s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    i love the convenience of checking the oil from inside the car on our bmw, but as it ages i have read anecdotal instances of failed sensors giving incorrect readings. less concerning when it gives a false reading of too little; but what happens when it is low and doesn't alert you??
  • Options
    opfreakopfreak Member Posts: 106
    theres pay to play, and then theres getting bent over. 750 for basically an oil change is the latter.
  • Options
    markinnaples_markinnaples_ Member Posts: 251
    Best part of the article: "Dollars?" LOLOLOL

But, $1050 or even $750 is just another MB/BMW/Porsche dealer shoving it to you. I love all three of them, but their maintenance costs are just ridiculous.
  • Options
    kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    At a recent auto show, the Porsche rep told me with a smile: "We're a boutique brand; you will pay more for our cars and our service". Mike M. nailed it: "Gotta pay to play." , and with a 6 month for a Macan wait, a lotta customers want to pay Porsche to play.
  • Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    No surprise on the low oil. I'm not sure why German cars seem to breathe in oil, but when a quart-a-month for average driving is considered "normal", something is really wrong with the design. Love that you gave the dealer a least a little attitude back. Brake fluid should only be every 3 years, correct? My understanding is that it has nothing to do with mileage, just that brake fluid is very corrosive. In terms of the "checks", that is generally complimentary (since its in the dealer's best interest to find issues), so it'd be interesting to see a line by line comparison. I'm sure they group it together so you don't realize what they are really charging you for ($600 for an hour's worth of labor).
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Brake fluid should be once every two years, tops. Also, one of the items on the one-year list is to check the shelf-life of the tire sealant - ? Um, the car is only one year old, so...

The claim is that you gotta pay to play, but for what? Better service? Your initial contact with the service department was the guy not even being able to accurately quote you a price for the service that was due - and I bet he had the car's VIN sitting right there in front of him, telling him it was only a year old.
  • Options
    wheelmccoywheelmccoy Member Posts: 97

Best part of the article: "Dollars?" LOLOLOL

But, $1050 or even $750 is just another MB/BMW/Porsche dealer shoving it to you. I love all three of them, but their maintenance costs are just ridiculous.

BMW now includes 3 years "free" maintenance. A smart move, in ensures that BMWs are at least reasonably maintained when it's time the pre-owned market. Too often, new car buyers/leasees bring their car in for their first service, and after getting socked with the bill like this article, think "screw the oil changes!"
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Maintenance costs is why VW is having a tough time in the North American market. Their cars are expensive to maintain compared to their domestic and Asian counterparts.
  • Options
    grijongrijon Member Posts: 147
    Great post, Mike, and indeed - good job with the service rep, LOL.

I can see both sides of the 'pay to play' situation. If I had a Porsche, I would be pleased with my "boutique" status and be willing to pay for it; if you don't want to pay boutique prices, then (gasp!) don't buy a boutique product! That being said, there is a line - but that line will be different for each individual. I think the prices listed for the services itemized would be just fine for me and my Porsche; YMMV.