Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Off-Road Trim Works Fine On Road - 2015 Chevrolet Colorado Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2015 in Chevrolet
imageOff-Road Trim Works Fine On Road - 2015 Chevrolet Colorado Long-Term Road Test

Now its own trim level, the Colorado Z71 is an off-road-oriented upgrade that doesn't degrade the ride quality. Looks better, too.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    the locking rear diff would be one of the most important features for me. reading about this truck got me browsing the car ads and craiglist for a beater colorado/canyon (04-05) with the z71 package i can have as a toy (cause that's what i need...). way cheaper than the tacoma and frontier but appears to be a pretty reliable truck.
  • Options
    tatermctatumstatermctatums Member Posts: 107
    Just steer clear of the 5 cylinder models. They have a tendency to eat cylinder heads.
  • Options
    squarefoursquarefour Member Posts: 24

Just steer clear of the 5 cylinder models. They have a tendency to eat cylinder heads.

And if you buy the current gen of Z71-equipped Colorado, stay clear of anything requiring a decent approach angle.

• Options
    reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    I have found the same with my new Colorado. Ride is very comfortable. I am also surprised that the tires are not loud, because they look like they should be.
    Towed a trailer last week that weighed in at 3,500 lbs.
    No problem with steep grades. Decent power at workable RPMs.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878

And if you buy the current gen of Z71-equipped Colorado, stay clear of anything requiring a decent approach angle.

GM has been doing that low hanging plastic for decades now. They seem to do a a good job at making it flexible enough to bend for the parking lot and driveway scrapes or impact from road debris without pulling apart from the car even on the inches from the ground Corvette. If it does require replacement it's usually a cheap part and an easy do it yourself job. On the other hand my Acura's splash shield needed to be replaced after hitting a piece of tire in the road because the plastic broke away from some of the screws. Also an easy do it yourself job but the part costs 300.00
  • Options
    csubowtiecsubowtie Member Posts: 143
    s197gt said:

the locking rear diff would be one of the most important features for me. reading about this truck got me browsing the car ads and craiglist for a beater colorado/canyon (04-05) with the z71 package i can have as a toy (cause that's what i need...). way cheaper than the tacoma and frontier but appears to be a pretty reliable truck.

s197gt: I recommend you look for a '03 or earlier S-10 ZR2. Much better truck than the 04 Colorado, better interior, the 4.3 V6 is bulletproof, and ZR2 package is a legit offroad package. It has the same locking diff, but comes with good skidplates (not just a cheapo front one), a real lift, and it was even upgraded to the same rear axle as the half-ton Silverados of the time. Rides super nice as well.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095

No problem, since they no longer make a 5-cylinder option. You can get a 4, or a 6.

If you can find one, buy it and store it. It will be a collector's item!

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6