Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Chevy Equinox - Engine Replacement

nisaranisara Member Posts: 3
edited May 2015 in Chevrolet
Have a 2011 Chevy Equinox with about 60,000 miles on it . Quick History , back about a couple of years ago the vehicle used to have a rough idle and stalling a couple of times when it was taken in to the dealer and the dealer made some changes for the OLM along with a couple of recall repairs . Following which I have got oil change done at reputed oil change stations whenever the OLM prompted me to do so . Sometimes 7000 miles sometimes 7500 miles .

Driving back with family on the memorial day weekend the engine idling was very rough infact in the stop and go traffic the equinox stopped a couple of times . When I was within 100 miles of home the engine switched off and check engine light came on and when I tried to crank the engine its like something was broken inside the engine and it wouldn't even start up . I had to call the insurance and get the vehicle towed 100 miles to a dealership near my home and the next day the dealer calls me and says that engine has serious damage due to not enough lubrication and its cheaper to replace the engine rather than repairing it . He asks me for my oil change receipts for the last 5 years and which I took about 5 hours to do . Now I am hearing that GM might deny warranty coverage because (1) infrequent oil changes ( every 7000 miles whenever the OLM asked me to do so ) and (2) not using the correct oil conventional vs semi synthetic dexos a couple of times . I wanted help from others in this group or any GM representatives to advice / help me with this situation .

Comments

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    nisara said:

Have a 2011 Chevy Equinox with about 60,000 miles on it .

Now I am hearing that GM might deny warranty coverage because (1) infrequent oil changes ( every 7000 miles whenever the OLM asked me to do so ) and (2) not using the correct oil conventional vs semi synthetic dexos a couple of times . I wanted help from others in this group or any GM representatives to advice / help me with this situation .

Hi Nisara.

Sorry for your luck and for the fact that most won't want anything to do with your issue. You'll find all kind of advice that would have led you to service your car exactly as you did but those same advisors will be no-where to be found when a result like yours inevitably occurs. Did you see these articles?

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop-changing-your-oil.html
    http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/do-i-have-to-use-the-manufacturers-oil.html

These aren't the only ones, there are many more just like them. But you should still drop the authors a note to let them know how their advice worked for you. We got to be wrong from their perspectives for trying to get people to understand how to service their cars correctly. You are far from the only person to have suffered such a failure and sadly it most likely was preventable.
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    " You are far from the only person to have suffered such a failure and sadly it most likely was preventable. "

Very true, Having been in the repair business for decades I've seen too many people trying to save a buck only to get bit later and then try to go after the manufacturer.

cmhj2000 said:

Very true, Having been in the repair business for decades I've seen too many people trying to save a buck only to get bit later and then try to go after the manufacturer.

Yep. GM has only recently started requiring the service records when the failures do occur. Other manufacturers have been very aggressive about making sure that the vehicles are serviced correctly and if there is no proof the warranties evaporate in a hurry.

• ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    We can only guess of course as to what happened, but 'due to not enough lubrication ' has me thinking this is the 4 cyl model and perhaps the oil level hadn't been chaecked on a regular basis between changes and topped off as needed ( As one should do with any vehicle that isn't strictly electric)
  • nisaranisara Member Posts: 3
    I agree with all your comments but . 
    1 ) I have changed oil when the OLM asked me to do so albeit never checked and topped off engine oil because technically for a rather new car it's expected not to burn so much oil that it leaves engine empty . 2) dealers charge way too much and take too long for small thing like oil change hence it's convenient to goto the local lube shops . Any case will post my fate once the repair is completed .
  • gmcsucks2gmcsucks2 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2018
    Wow!  Since this same exact scenario happened to me 2 weeks ago I feel for everyone on this board.  My story is similar to everyone else's on this message board.  I had owned my 2013 Terrain for 5 years, I meticulously took care of it because it was my primary and only vehicle.  I changed the oil religiously and a year ago I took it to the repair to have all the regular and preventative maintenance handled.  At that time I had about a 130,000 miles on it and hoped to drive the car for another 3 to 4 years, but like many of the stories that I have read my engine failed.

Just like the story described above my engine started burning oil and NEVER gave me any indication of an issue until itt was too late. I was driving between Jackson,MS and Houston, TX Prior to setting out for Houston the car was idling a little rough but never did any lights appear to indicate low oil pressure or that the car was burning oil.  Since I still was not due an oil change, I figured I would get the oil changed and a tune up at the same time.  A year or so before the car was running rough and after a $700 repair to clean out the carbon, the car was driving fine again.  Naturally, I  thought this was a similar issue ---oh how wrong I was.  It turned that by the time I got to the GMC dealer the engine was 2.5 quarts of oil low and due to the lack of oil pressure the timing chain broke which resulted major engine damage.  The only remedy was to purchase a new motor.  Since the GMC dealer had already replaced the timing chain at $2100, I could not fathom the expense of spending another 5,000 to $6,000 to buy a new or used engine and the cost of labor in a car with 147,000 miles on it.  

Since GM sucks and will not take any responsibility for this issue, which according to this board it seems quite common, I was forced with a major delimna.  Do I spend more money on it obtain  'these costly repairs and drive a car with a used motor in, or do I just scrap the car.  I was  already in the hole for 2,100 and now GMC WANTS 6,000 MORE for a new motor.  

Question, should I proceed with searching for another mechanic in the small town of Hammond, La and see if I can get the car fixed for less and try to see it or do ii just scrap the car for the cost of the $2,100 repair (the anoujnt spent on the installation of a new timing chain assembly) or look for mechanic other than a GMC mechanic in Hammond and get it repaired and ready to sell?  

Whatever thed scenario GMS in Unprofessional grade!  What manufacturer builds a car that does not have an oil indicator light come on to tell the driver that the oil pressure is low.  What a piece of ctap...I will never buy GMC again. 

Sincerely, 

gmcsucks2
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,150
    edited February 2018
    I am amazed at your proclamation that there's no oil pressure light. Page 5-7 of your owners manual shows the oil pressure light next to the "2" on the tachometer--it's a picture of an oil can with oil dripping from the spout.

Page 5-18/5-19 of the same owners manual talks about the oil pressure light and its importance to the health of your engine.

Page 11-2 of the same owners manual says to check oil level at EACH FUEL STOP. That was as the oil starts down, you see the dropping level when it's down 1/2, 1 quart and more.

Preventative maintenance is YOUR responsibility.

"Just like the story described above my engine started burning oil and NEVER gave me any indication of an issue until itt was too late."

Point made. Check your oil level each fuel stop or at least every 500 miles, in my opinion. Not GM's fault.

Your owners manual is available here
    https://my.gmc.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2013/gmc/terrain/2013_gmc_terrain_owners.pdf

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Point made. Check your oil level each fuel stop or at least every 500 miles, in my opinion. Not GM's fault.

Your owners manual is available here
    https://my.gmc.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2013/gmc/terrain/2013_gmc_terrain_owners.pdf

Yup. Having worked as a mechanic for over 30 years I've found that most find it easier to blame someone else while not taking responsibility for their own lack of actions.

I believe people will criticize GM more openly than they will a product from Honda, tyota, VW and friends, Ford, or Chrysler/Fiat because there has been more open criticism of GM in past years. Criticizing your Honda will usually get an open reprimand from the fanboys if you post under a username of Hondasucks2 or VWsucks2. As a GM service manager, the shop manager not a writer, told me decades ago people will drive their Pontiac in that case without checking anything and then complain when something finally gives out. The same folks were being told they had to take their toyota or Honda or VW back to the shop regularly or the warranty wouldn't cover anything... And people gave much better maintenance to their other products.

In this case for the poster, I'd recommend finding a junkyard engine through a local mechanic who does engine replacements. The mechanics often have a relationship with recycling yards and get better offerings than a yahoo like me walking in asking what engines they have for a XXX mobile 2011.

Put it in and drive it until you decide it's time to get a different vehicle, then put a For Sale sign on it.

I've found my GM products go easily to 200,000 miles without becoming oil burners in my leSabres. The transmissions worked fine. Some things on the vehicles weren't perfect, but they ain't in other brands either, despite the cheering sections opinions for those brands.

My 2008 Cobalt that served my son through high school and 5 years of The Ohio State University and over a year in his work place, has 110,000 and doesn't use oil beyond a cup or pint or so in 5000 between oil changes. Transmission-perfect. I did change trans oil at 45K miles with Dexron VI. The engine gets full synthetic and quality brand filters.
    I check the oil at least every 500 miles.

When I need a used engine or transmisson the local salvage yards know to look for one that has been previously replaced or repaired. That's about the best you can do when it comes to trying to find as good of a take out engine as you can get.

I drive a lot, and lift the hood on my car and check fluids at least once a week and in some cases twice. Things happen, parts wear out and a little preventive service goes a long way towards avoiding a major failure.

Cars have come with dipsticks along with owners manuals that explain how to use them for longer than I have been driving and repairing them. Not using them is negligence on the owners part.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046

When I need a used engine or transmisson the local salvage yards know to look for one that has been previously replaced or repaired. That's about the best you can do when it comes to trying to find as good of a take out engine as you can get.

I drive a lot, and lift the hood on my car and check fluids at least once a week and in some cases twice. Things happen, parts wear out and a little preventive service goes a long way towards avoiding a major failure.

Cars have come with dipsticks along with owners manuals that explain how to use them for longer than I have been driving and repairing them. Not using them is negligence on the owners part.

Our new car doesn't have a dipstick. :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Does it have an electronic level system? That's not too bad of a way to do it since it's so hard to get consumers to be responsible owners.

Back in my 20s I was driving from Ohio to South Carolina to visit high school buddy now out of Navy in heavy spring vacation travel time. I stopped for gas at a "full service" station of those days in late 70s and the guy insisted on checking my oil. I obviously showed I just thought he was hoping to sell a quart. He explained he had two girls who had driven from the "North" who stopped, and their fairly new car was low on oil when he checked. Driving on further as they were doing would have meant they would have run out of oil before Florida.

I started checking my oil after high speed driving on every trip. Just in case my Fords started using oil for some reason.

Back in my 20s I was driving from Ohio to South Carolina to visit high school buddy now out of Navy in heavy spring vacation travel time. I stopped for gas at a "full service" station of those days in late 70s and the guy insisted on checking my oil. I obviously showed I just thought he was hoping to sell a quart.

Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't. Either way trying to earn a living 25 cents at a time was a tough way to do it. Add in the contempt for the effort and it's no wonder the practice ended.

Yup, yet those that are too lazy to open the hood will then cut down the service dept or company that made their car when something happens.

30+ years in service has shown me a lot of slackers in this regard.
  • colt_herocolt_hero Member Posts: 107
    I feel bad for the people driving with these defective GM engines. You can point fingers all you want, saying they should be checking their dipsticks morning, noon, and night, but you shouldn't have to do that. You should be able to trust that your engine will use only a small (non-damaging) amount of oil from oil change to oil change. But (some of) these 2.4L engines have defective rings which cause them to eat LOTS of oil FAR QUICKER than normal. That's GM's fault. Even if you gassed up once per week and checked you oil each time, you'd STILL be at risk for destroying your engine.

And the Oil Pressure Switch is useless. By the time it comes ON - if it EVER comes ON, you're already in a lot of trouble. These engines rely HEAVILY on oil - for lubrication AND functioning of internal engine devices (Solenoids and Tensioners, for example). GM just did not design in the proper safeguards to protect these engines from low oil levels - be it owner negligence, or their own engine devouring itself.
  • nrg100nrg100 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2013 equinox that is using 3 quarts of oil every 2000 miles. Apparently there's any issue with oil rings on the pistons with the 4 cylinder engine. I have to check the oil every week, which is ridiculous. My 17 year old toyota loses a quart every 5000 miles. I'm gonna trade the equinox in and never buy another GM product. It's not a lack of maintenance, because I change the oil every 3000 miles with the semi synthetic dextos oil.