Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura TL Electrical System Problems

2»

Comments

• Options
    brooks15brooks15 Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    brooks15brooks15 Member Posts: 2
    my drivers side turn signal will not blink,replaced bulb socket and wire connector,still no go,any ideas,,, Thanks Jeff
    PS it is the front one
  • Options
    jt_the_bratjt_the_brat Member Posts: 2
    Good evening!

I have a friend... who happens to be a woman... who made the mistake of purchasing a 2007 Acura TL that she can't afford to maintain AND make car payments on. Unfortunately she is experiencing the dreaded HFL battery drain. She's mentioned that the bluetooth "Hands Free Link" is currently active and that's what seems to cause the problem.

I've seen reference to a number of similar issues and was most interested to hear from "tim635csi" about the specific details of how the HFL was disconnected from the circuitry.

While I don't have a lot of experience with what I refer to as "electronic cars" (like the TL)... I do have lots of experience with more traditional electrical systems and have restored a few cars in my day.

I'm not afraid to jump in and give it a try... either disconnecting it or replacing it but I'd like to learn of the details and/or read links to details about disconnecting the HFL. Your input would be appreciated!

Thanks for reading!

JT (aka jt_the_brat)
  • Options
    jt_the_bratjt_the_brat Member Posts: 2
    After a bit more time with google and my laptop... I found this post elsewhere on one of the forums. I'm going to give it a try and will let you know of my results. Happy Holidays everyone!

http://www.acuraworld.com/forums/f58/hfl-disconnect-battery-drain-98206/
  • Options
    hpokohpoko Member Posts: 1
    With all the problems with HFL and dead batteries in TLs----mine died 3 times, 3 batteries in 5 years----I was wondering if I did not hook up my phone to my new hfl, will the hfl still draw on my car's battery?
  • Options
    kurtc1kurtc1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 TL and the battery went totally dead 3 times within the first 2,5 years. The third time I had a new battery installed (at my expense) and within 6 months, the car wouldn't start. It has very low mileage (17M) and I'm told that I need to drive it more. I did note in the recent issue of Consumer Reports on used cars that the 08 TL is rated poorly on "electrical"....but not the same models for 04 - 07 which are pretty much the same car. The electrical system was tested by the dealership and the second battery installer and passed their tests. Every time I go for service at the Acura dealer, they tell me my battery did not pass their tests and should be replaced. I have added a "battery tender" so I'll see how that works out.
  • Options
    silversnowsilversnow Member Posts: 2
    Is your bluetooth working?....if its not or your not using it unplug it from the power, this may be your problem I know it was in my 05 Acura TL..Good Luck
  • Options
    autoperformaautoperforma Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have the same problem then you. Do you found the problem?
    If yes, what kind of problem is it!!

Thank you
    Jeff
  • Options
    bendersteinbenderstein Member Posts: 2
    I noticed nobody replied to this but I wanted to see if u had any luck fixing it. I am a 2008 with nav and everything. I am having the same problems and then some, my vsa and abs lights are stuck on too. The rear window goes down whenever the driver door is closed so I pulled the fuse, the alarm goes off in the middle of the night randomly so I pulled the horn fuse, the abs and vsa lights stay on all the time and my blinker freaks out and doesn't blink. I'm convinced when uhaul installed the light cable for my hitch they shorted out the electrical system somehow. Please tell me you figured it out and it was cheap.
  • Options
    pitzerpitzer Member Posts: 1
    '05 TL: When the key is inserted into the ignition, the overhead light comes on. When the car is started, the dash warning of an open door (right/rear) lights up. When the driver's seatbelt is buckled, these both go off. Now, the battery is drained everytime the car is left over night or all day without being started. Any ideas? I've heard that these are common recurring problems. Does Acura cover the cost of whatever repair is necessary?
  • Options
    jknightof2006jknightof2006 Member Posts: 2
    I'm having the exact same issue in my 2004. Have you found a solution?
  • Options
    jknightof2006jknightof2006 Member Posts: 2
    My 2004 just started the door and seatbelt thing today. Any solution? It's getting very frustrating?
  • Options
    bendersteinbenderstein Member Posts: 2
    My solution was some idiot running a stop sign and broadsiding me. Changing the flasher module fixed the majority of the problems but did not fix the ABS and traction issue
  • Options
    juliestewart58juliestewart58 Member Posts: 1
    I drove my car a couple of miles, parked it for about 2 hours, drove 1/2 mile, parked 5 minutes, got back in and it wouldn't start. Ideas? it is 2010 TL with about 78 K miles. First battery defective and replaced under warranty around 45k miles ago. Absolutely no warning indicators.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Hi - in order to help others narrow down what the problem might be, giving a few details about what happens when you try to start it would help. Is there just a click when you turn the key, or does it try to start but not turn over?

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    kalexander2001kalexander2001 Member Posts: 1
    I've had my 2005 TL for over a year and never had an issue with the battery or electrical. Today it won't turn over at all; everything is silent; all lights are out; even the trunk latch won't operate! I am stranded! Any help??
  • Options
    friedmaniafriedmania Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I have a 2003 TL-S I bought from a dealer two months ago. One day it just would not start, like the battery was dead. No clicks, nothing. I got jumped, replaced the battery, and things were great for a couple weeks. Then one day same thing. But, I noticed when I opened the door, the light came on. I closed the door and it started like nothing was wrong. However the clock and radio needed to be reset, so it is clear there is some funky disconnect going on. The battery is fine. This happened again today and I cannot get it going this time, but the lights come on now and then, so I know the battery is providing power. Needless to say I am bringing this to the dealer tomorrow. I will post the solution when I know what they did.
  • Options
    stevenpreludestevenprelude Member Posts: 1
    Did you find the answer to this question? I have a 2008 TL and went to get in it today and it did the exact same thing. No lights, bells, trunk will not open, absolutely nothing. I thought, maybe my 5 year battery needed replacing so I went and bought a $115 battery today and still nothing. I am figuring it has to be a main fuse? If you have the solution, please send me an email at slea@martin-brower.com. Thanks.
  • Options
    yoyooneyoyoone Member Posts: 9
    I used to have a 2008 tl type s. Similar battery deadness issues ..after 3 rd battery replacement..I drove and turned off ac.and radio ..I heard a fan going. I pulled over ..turned off engine...ac fan was still on..went to dealer told them...they told me ac fan relay switch wasn' t switching off..this was causing battery to die..
    They changed relay...problem solved...all good in the land.
    With these electrical issues..turn off radio and listen to the car and hear if there us a sound of something that isn't turning off when the car is off..
    I think Acura has a problem with relay switches not turning off and staying in the on open position
    .start with the ac.fan relay switch.
    ..then lights..inside lights..trunk lights etc..

Good luck

Warren
  • Options
    awarfel1awarfel1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there. I am having the exact same problem with my 2004 TL. Did you ever find out what it is??
  • Options
    jesseb106jesseb106 Member Posts: 1

I have a 2006 Acura TL. I am having the same problems listed except my battery dies within a couple hours of cutting the car off. I disconnected the HFL fully charged the battery, tested the alternator, tested the battery, bought a new battery and the battery is still draining that quick. No lights on the dash. Any Idea?

• Options
    la_chelela_chele Member Posts: 3

Good Day All,

My 99' Acura 3.2TL has powered off while driving once or twice. I still have electricity; but no engine. It will take anywhere from 5-30 minutes for the car to even turn over. Anyone have any similar experiences or know what I need to fix?

Thanks for reading and (hopefully) giving me an answer

• Options
    indy34indy34 Member Posts: 1
    jesseb106 Did you figure out what was causing the drainage? I have the same exact issue. I have a 2007 Acura TL type S with 120,000 miles in it. The HFL is completely disconnected and it has a new battery. The alternator is good. It used to drain the battery over night..but now its not holding a charge during the day. Any ideas? Thank you in advance

• Options
    lisa96acuralisa96acura Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 acura tl that alternator went out and had to be replaced 3 times. It would work for a few days or weeks then battery light would come on. Alternator has been fine for a few months now but just recently if I run the a/c the battery light will come on, if I turn a/c off, it goes off and stays off. Im afraid to leave air on in case it totally drains battery! Someone said this could be a relay or fuse problem? Help, getting very frustrating!
  • Options
    novelleenovellee Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Acura TL. I recently replaced the alternator and battery after my car stalled on me. I took it to the dealership and they claimed it was my alternator. I just had it replaced and once it was replaced, it ran fine for about 20 minutes or so. Now the car won't turnover and all of my dashlights come on, just like it did when it stalled. Whats wrong with this car? Anyone experiencing the same problem? 
  • Options
    nsethnseth Member Posts: 1
    I am having similar issues with a 2007 Acura TL. I have changed the battery 2-3 times in the last 3 years. AAA replaced the battery yesterday and today the car would not start at the repair shop.

It's not the alternator and it's not the battery.

Any suggestions?