Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buy 2015 or 2016 RX 350. Or buy NX?

lexusbelllexusbell Member Posts: 3
edited May 2015 in Lexus
Help... I have a is250, I love small responsive cars. With a new baby I'm thinking about getting a RX as the natural next step. But man that thing is huge. I think the 2015 actually looks smaller than the 2012/13/14. But the 2016 is going to be 5 inches longer!
Here's my predicament...

To get a 2015? Or hold out for the 2016? Or... Get a NX?!?

1. 2015
I like the reliability, smoothness of a Lexus, so rx350 comes natural as a top choice.

2015 doesn't have the best looks in its class, but I'm a Lexus fan and I prefer safety and reliability over looks.
Value! Great value, not to mention the discount I'm reading as it is the last year for this body style.
So, sensible choice.

2. 2016
Waaaaaay to big! 10 inches longer than the NX!
But here's the thing, is 2016 that much better? What's the safety thing that 2015 doesn't have?
Can someone help me out, what's the real difference between 2015 and 16 aside from the optional 3rd row seats?
Anything else? Feature wise?

3. 2016 NX
I need to drive it first. (I have driven RX) but size wise it's great! Ok maybe more blinds spots... Visibility might be worse than RX.
Ok trunk size, I need to check it out.

From what I gathered, it's not as good value as the RX. + Given how new it is, and they don't plan to sell that many, yet. It's not easy to get the price down.
But bottom line is, it is still 5000 cheaper than the RX.

I want nav, pre-collision, heated seats, blind spots for both RX or NX.

Thoughts?
I thought about 2016 rdx, just boring...
Not a bummer fan. GLK is ugly, ML is way too experience. MDX - ginormous!

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    edited May 2015
    You know... babies only weigh about 8 lbs, right?

If you love small responsive cars, why get an SUV? You have 4-doors now.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    LOL, but doesn't all the baby "stuff" weigh 100 pounds and expands exponentially every six weeks?

Dunno, sounds like you've made some good arguments for the '15 RX 350, @lexusbell.

And congrats on the new kiddo!
  • lexusbelllexusbell Member Posts: 3
    Thanks!
  • danjohn3danjohn3 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,

New user here and wondering the same thing - go for the 2015 RX or go with another vehicle?

The one concern I have is, what effect does buying the last year before a model re-design have on its value down the road?

5 years from now, I imagine that the 2015 will look pretty dated in comparison, especially considering how bold of a direction is Lexus is headed towards, design-wise (love it or hate it).

With everything else being equal, does anyone have any insight on how the value might hold up of a 2015 RX vs. something that still has roughly the same body style 5 years from now?

Any insight is much appreciated!

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057
    danjohn3 said:

Hi all,

New user here and wondering the same thing - go for the 2015 RX or go with another vehicle?

The one concern I have is, what effect does buying the last year before a model re-design have on its value down the road?

5 years from now, I imagine that the 2015 will look pretty dated in comparison, especially considering how bold of a direction is Lexus is headed towards, design-wise (love it or hate it).

With everything else being equal, does anyone have any insight on how the value might hold up of a 2015 RX vs. something that still has roughly the same body style 5 years from now?

Any insight is much appreciated!

There will be better deals on the '15's at the moment, and I don't think the value will be terribly different 5 years from now.

Really, the value only matters when it comes time to trade or sell - how long do you plan to keep the vehicle?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

We usually keep our vehicles a pretty long time - 8-10 years.

I'm guessing depreciation means less and less the longer you keep it, right?

I realize there's good deals on the '15's...the question is whether the extra discount is worth the extra depreciation. Wish I had a simple formula to calculate that.
    danjohn3 said:
    We usually keep our vehicles a pretty long time - 8-10 years. I'm guessing depreciation means less and less the longer you keep it, right? I realize there's good deals on the '15's...the question is whether the extra discount is worth the extra depreciation. Wish I had a simple formula to calculate that.
    After 10 years, who cares? :smile: 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

You're right - after 10 it won't matter much. But no one can predict the future so who knows, we might sell sooner.

What's your take on the matter if the time frame were shortened to let's say, 5 years?
    danjohn3 said:

You're right - after 10 it won't matter much. But no one can predict the future so who knows, we might sell sooner.

What's your take on the matter if the time frame were shortened to let's say, 5 years?

I still don't think the difference in value after 5 years will be all that great.

My advice? Buy what you like, when you like it. This could spiral into 'paralysis by analysis'

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2015
    Our True Cost to Own tool will calculate depreciation out to five years for most cars. We don't have 2016 info up yet for the RX 350 but the 2015 info may help you with your assumptions.
  • stuartfl1stuartfl1 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2015 RX, great vehicle and classy looking. 2016 is for people who always wanted a bat mobile